Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2003, 05:26 PM

Default Pro Tools HD (TMD) and SSL Consoles

Hi guys, please forgive my ignorance but i have a question for you guys. I see alot of big pro studios use a combination of Pro Tools TDM and an SSL console, and while i understand the basics of this union i have a query, does the SSL act as a control surface for PT or is it just that these Pro studios have HD rigs with enough outs to have 48+ tracks comming down the console at line level, to mix it?

Could someone please enlighten me as to the PT SSL union. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2003, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD (TMD) and SSL Consoles

Usually there are 48plus analog outputs from PT returning to the SSL desk. For control, the J computer spits out timecode and Protools chases.

www.peterwademusic.com
Old 01-22-2003, 08:48 PM

Yeah, the "standard" way it's done is you use Pro Tools like a big tape machine, and mix through the board and outboard gear.

Another typical setup is running the stereo output of the board back into Pro Tools (often through a converter, like a PSX-100), then monitor back from Pro Tools. So, instead of monitoring the analog signal straight off the board, you convert to digital to get back into Pro Tools, convert back to analog out of Pro Tools, and listen to that.

That's so you can bounce back into Pro Tools if you need.

I wonder if using something like the Dangerous 2bus and Boutique Audio type units will become more and more popular in the future. You still mix in the box, but you sum analog for that last step.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:29 PM

Yeah i like the sound of that. As much as i like mixing in Pro Tools, mixing through a good analog desk with analog eq compression ect.. would be the way to go. So you would use Pro Tools like a big tape machine and do all your edits and arranging, then mix it down through the mixer. Sounds cools.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:06 AM

Yes to all the above with our 4000. The first half of the mix is done in PT; edits, cuts, rides, submixing, and plugin FX while monitoring throughh the SSL, and the second half (approaching 25%) is then done with the SSL; mostly outboard and some console EQ, Quad comp, with minimal automation. We then mix back to PT through Apogee 24 bit and 16 bit to DAT. Our control system is USD and 2Tools.
Slowly, everything is folding into the PT environment. Slowly.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:04 AM

Anybody ever throw a control surface into the, erm, mix? (Couldn't resist. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )
I read a post where someone puts a procontrol with foam padding right on top of the console.
When you're up on the board are you doing that whole "all faders at unity" thing?
Old 01-23-2003, 08:23 AM

we generally use the protools as a tape machine/editor and use some plugs/fx but mix through the desk, with some rides done in tools, and some on the desk. For the fiddley little rides tools is great, but for getting a balance, and performing the bulk of the work the desk and outboard is used. What is timecode master depends on the client. Generally tools is master, but at other times the desk is
Old 01-23-2003, 08:37 AM

"I wonder if using something like the Dangerous 2bus and Boutique Audio type units will become more and more popular in the future. You still mix in the box, but you sum analog for that last step."

Yeh, I think this concept is realy catching some momentum. Try a 1/2" or 1" analog tape as a master medium, it kicks ass!
Old 01-23-2003, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tal herzberg:
Yeh, I think this concept is realy catching some momentum. Try a 1/2" or 1" analog tape as a master medium, it kicks ass!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Hey Tal, are you still using that 2" tape trick that you mentioned in EQ a few months ago? In other words, is it worth setting up the 2" to have that as an effect or does it become a real hassle after a while? thanks
Old 01-23-2003, 07:50 PM

To use the SSL as a "control surface", only the newest K series has the ability to really control anything other than having the Pro Tools transport simply chase the desk controls, since you can bring up the Pro Tools GUI on the SSL monitor and then tweak away. However, splitting the analog outputs of Pro Tools to say 32 or more inputs of an SSL sounds great, and you have the option of using either or both for processing and automation.

Using an SSL with Pro Tools works much better with a J series than the older models of SSL's, since the old E's and G's really need to control a "tape machine's" transport in order to mix using the SSL automation. The machine control option for Pro Tools never really worked very well for many people, which you will see if you do a search of the DUC for "SSL".

The J 9000 can generate code which the Pro Tools rig can chase, and they can both be ref'd to house sync to make sync tighter. It's fairly simple and works well.

With the older SSL's, one must have the desk control the transport of a tape machine with timecode on it, and then have the Pro Tools rig chase the tape machine's time code, which is a bit of a pain, and can sacrifice sonics unless you can again ref everything to external sync.

If you just wanted to use the SSL for summing and analog signal processing, you could bypass the SSL automation and simply do all your moves in Pro Tools, but I don't think that very many people do it that way.