Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2010, 09:27 PM

Default i have a Question about Upgrading Pro Tools

I appologize in advance i know this topic has probably been ran into the ground and when everybody was talking about upgrading to version 8 i wasnt really intersted at the time so i wasnt paying much attention and now there is so much about it that it is just confusing.

i have 7.2 HD running on a mack Dual Core OSX 10.4.4

will i have any problems upgrading to version 8 and will i have to do anything before updating

Thanks,
Russell
Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 PM

Default Re: i have a Question about Upgrading Pro Tools

You'll have to upgrade your OS X to Leopard 10.5.8 - and install 8.0.1 and download and run the 8.0.1cs2 Upodate

Both are a PAID Upgrade (Leopard from Apple, and ProTools 8.0.1 from Digidesign)

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 PM

sounds like a pain makes me wonder if it is worth it

have they got the bugs out of it yet
Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman_rob View Post
sounds like a pain makes me wonder if it is worth it

have they got the bugs out of it yet
keep a cloned drive handy so you can get back to where you are comfortable

if you need to...

if you are like me you will need it.

and keep a jumbo bag of peanuts
around for pink elephants that never forget

Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 PM

yeah that is a good idea

thanks for the info i guess that takes care of my question

Thanks bunches
Old 01-14-2010, 03:04 AM

Having been through the pain of it all last year, PT 8.0.1cs1 is the most stable version and which all 3rd party apps work. I wouldn't go to 8.0.3 because there seems to be a lot of bugs in it that are not in 8.0.1cs1. Ive been running 8.0.1cs1 for 6 weeks now and not encountered any issues and its solid

When you upgrade from 7.2, make sure you get a new drive and install Leopard completely fresh onto this drive. Don't under any circumstances go over the top of Tiger with Leopard....you'll have so many problems and life is too short its not worth the aggro. When your new drive is at 10.5.8, install PT8 and then upgrade to 8.0.1cs1 and you should be absolutely fine

It might be a big pain in the backside having to set up the new drive installing all your apps and authorizations, but the fact is, its the only way to do it for a smooth upgrade
Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 AM

Jimi's advice is very important, clone your system now, while it's running, comfortable, and compatible. Full Monty's got some good, important advice about the instal too, I would follow hi lead... but some of us, are having opposite experiences with 8.0.1 v.s 8.0.3

"Gor Me" - 8.0.1's Bugs were intolerable, to the point of having to work in 7.4 with Clients in the room. the FWAudioCallback Crashes, to the Elastic Audio Cleared from the session, the GUI that made it impossible to see what audio was selected... actually, there were about 25 things on that list, I'll stop here.

it was frighteningly unstable for me, and visually hard to work in.

8.0.3 was a godsend, I've been running 2 machines, 8.0.3 for 12 hour days now, for 3 weeks solid, without a break... other then a "Session Specific Problem" last night.... neither system has been restarted, and hasn't spit up a single error in the 3 weeks... and I can see... I can see.

Sadly for me, Jimi, the OP.... one of my HD systems (The main control room, that we work on with clients every day) is a PPC G5 - and we're kind of Stranded @ 8.0.1 (I'm leaving it at 7.4 / Tiger for now) - I know theres a bunch of us, and a bunch of threads, imploring Avid to allow us to "Park our G5 machines" at 8.0.3

8's got some Great stuff though... I'm running 8.0.3 at home, and I REALLY miss it, at the studio, going back to 7.4 - but it's really the only Solid solution for that machine, "For Me", till theres another cs Update to try on the 8.0.1 install, or god willing, an actual UB 8.0.3 install.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App