Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 PM

Default Are you a "pro?"

Just curious how many folks here make a living (or at least part of it) with Pro Tools LE, and what version you use. It's not a loaded question, just curious.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Are you a "pro?"

PT is my main source of income, I have a home studio located in NYC and thanks God I am getting great response as far as my work with PT 8 LE. In order to make it possible I had to upgrade to Complete MPK, get good mic pre amps, plugins, get my rig to the next level without having to buy a HD system. It paid off so many times already!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 PM

My income is split between my studio and live mixing. I would be happy to skip touring altogether but the economy is working against it right now.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-14-2009, 03:14 PM

Hell yeah I use LE! Used to practically live at Sony here in NYC till it got reduced to rubble. Clients usually just let me mix records any way I want to, so I do it at my home studio, most of the time on my LE system unless it has to be attended or overdubs are being done simultaneously. FTP 24 bit mixes out. MP3's for references / approvals. Got an iMac / Mbox2, passive monitor controller, with a second LCD screen and a Mackie control and it can run just as many plugins as my accel rig!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:33 PM

30 year full time vet, Pro Tools since version 1.0 for my home rig.

My LE system is primarily my personal music making system, but it also does "overflow" work if I can't get into the my main studio (HD3/ICON). I travel back to Nashville often and take my LE rig with me for additional work on large projects (I'll get vocal tuning or track tightening chores handed off to me if I'm not the main engineer - I'm also a musician). I also do song demos (my own), pre-production and programming on my system, and am even using it for a live keyboard rig (but sometimes without the PT hardware).

Most projects start on the LE system, and move to the HD3 system for OD and mixing. Of course a few projects end up staying in LE top to bottom. BUT, having access to an HD3 ICON system (and being trained old school/SSL), I prefer to mix in the 'big' room with the faders, knobs, loads more plug-ins, Lexicon 300 and JBL monitors. ;-)
Old 05-14-2009, 04:35 PM

I have a small demo recordingstudio and use a Digi002 with PT8 LE and make money with it.

Works fine for me, coming from a PT mix system, I can now run more and better plugins with my Intel Mac.

Also do post-production but that's mostly in other studio's on PT HD.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Strictly a hobby but I have invested some money into it. I hope to upgrade my monitors soon as that's my main drawback.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:52 PM

i too am split across live mixing and recording with pro tools le. i have a 002 console and mac pro in the studio at home.

i have been doing more live tracking nowdays with my 32 input mpowered rig. (you know, that 7.3 bug) my macbook pro and lightbridge are a really nice setup. i really wish digi would get it together with this issue.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:24 PM

I've been engineering for 30+ years and make my living at it. Right now, I have plenty of work (thank God). I track and overdub in a variety of local studios (Nashville area). The studios I use all have analog consoles...Neve, Trident, Amek, etc., great mics and outboard. I have my LE rig at home and do a great deal of tuning, editing, and mixing there. I'm using a 002, PT LE 8, JBL 4328P monitors, and a fortune in plugins. I've done a few live things with a Macbook Pro and PT 8. Between that and the Macpro, I have been able to handle just about any project that comes my way.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 AM

Recording and editing voice overs is my bread and butter, and LE is great for it. Recorded a few small live shows with it as well.

I also record and mix all my own music on my mbox2pro. Love it.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com