Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 08:01 AM

Default ipod and or itunes problem

Howdy folks,

Okay, finally got the ol' 001 out of storage and am up and running. When I'm not recording, I like to listen to music. So I have my ipod hooked up from the line output of the dock into a set of ring/tip/sleave cables. This is connected to Monitor Input L&R (Channels 3&4). I have the monitor outputs going to my Event 20/20 powered monitors.

The problem is that itunes will crash if I use more than one application at a time. If I use Safari, then go to Mail or something else, I'll get harsh digital noise, and then the song will freeze on itunes....

Any ideas here? I tried a search but couldn't find anyone w/ the same problem. Protools sessions have been running fine..(knock wood)

thanks!
Old 01-21-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: ipod and or itunes problem

hmm...sounds like a major software bug, could be RAM-related...have you upgraded your RAM recently? If so, was it Apple-certified?

btw, are you running on OS X?

Old 01-21-2005, 12:02 PM

yes, upgraded RAM when I first got the mac, which btw i'm running the following:

OS X 10.3.7 Pro-tools 6.4.c9

384 MB SDRAM PC 100 322S and PC 100 222S

can't remember what brand of RAM it was...probably whatever was on sale at the time-prob. not Apple certified.

I've run Disk First Aid a few times and no major errors were given....major software bug you think? w/ itunes or protools?

thanks for your response!
Old 01-21-2005, 10:47 PM

What version software are you running in iTunes, Pro Tools, DigiCore Audio, and Mac OSX? may be a difference.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 01-22-2005, 07:57 AM

iTunes:4.7.1
Pro-Tools: 6.4 cv9 for 001
OS X 10.3.7
Digicore: 6.4

I think everything is updated as much as possible....

What version software are you running in iTunes, Pro Tools, DigiCore Audio, and Mac OSX? may be a difference.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:03 AM

hmmm.....I had my Pro-Tools folder out of my Applications folder, just on its own on the hard drive ..I've put it back in Applications and so far so good. weird.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:27 AM

spoke too soon......same prob.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:19 PM

I've been out of the core audio loop for a while but it used to be that core audio would only run one app at a time through the 001. Now I know you are not trying to run your stuff through the 001 via core audio (at least that's not what it sounds like you are doing) but that might be the issue... set your audio out control panel to "built in" or whatever it is and see if that fixes it.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:24 PM

I think I am trying to run the 001 through core...when I got to Prefs. I have the 001 set for both input and output. When I go to "built-in" the audio from iPod comes from the g4 speaker.

I've been out of the core audio loop for a while but it used to be that core audio would only run one app at a time through the 001. Now I know you are not trying to run your stuff through the 001 via core audio (at least that's not what it sounds like you are doing) but that might be the issue... set your audio out control panel to "built in" or whatever it is and see if that fixes it.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:46 PM

OK- wait a second, I'm confused... you've mentioned an iPod AND iTunes...

If your iPod is connected via an audio cable to input 3+4 of your 001 and you're using monitor mode, there is NO WAY the sound from the iPod can come through your G4 speaker. Completely impossible.

I'm guessing you mean the audio from iTunes comes through the G4 when you choose built-in, which is what it should do.

See, as far as I know and remember, with core audio (001) as the output device, you can only use one application at a time that sends sound. That is why things crash when you try to open up mail or whatever. A lot of people (myself included) don't mess with the core audio driver for this reason. I use a summing mixer and route the 001 AND my G4's outputs to it, then I have the speakers connected to that. That way, I can hear the computer's outs AND my 001 in my studio monitors.

But maybe I'm way off base and not sure what you are saying. But clarify whether you mean iTunes or iPod. Because, as I said, if you are connecting your iPod to the 001 via an audio cable, it has to go through the 001, and not the G4.

however (sorry I'm thinking through this as I type), if your iPod is connected to your G4 with the firewire cable and iTunes is open, and you're playing songs from the iPod's library via iTunes, then it would be actually going through the computer- your audio cable wouldn't be doing anything, I don't think.

I is very confused.