Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Mac OS X \'Tiger\' compatibility information.

Its a full re-format I'm afraid if you wish to return to Panther.

Make sure you have everything backed up if you are doing this especially mail address book, Inbox etc. if you use your computer for more than Pro Tools.

Its easy if you know how but not recommended if you don't !!

**Note-If your machine is a new G5, you may not be able to install Panther. A work around is written below.

If your computer is JUST running Pro Tools, Insert your Panther disk, Restart your system and hold down the "C" key. Your computer will boot from the cd.

Go to the menu bar top left of the screen and click on "Open Disk Utility".

Highlight the drive your OS is on and click the ERASE tab.

Choose volume format as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and then click erase.

**This will destroy all data on that drive so if you are unsure of what you are doing here, ask a grown up !!

Once the drive has been formated, Quit Disk Utility and you can begin the OSX Panther installation by following the on screen instructions.

You should have received a RESTORE cd with your computer so ideally use that. Its the same procedure as above minus the re-formating.

Insert the disc, Restart the machine and hold the "C" key.

Hope this gets you back in action

M
Old 05-23-2005, 12:24 PM

just wanted to point out that the Tiger compatibilty for ProTools is STILL the ONLY THING preventing me from updating my powerbook. ALL my other software works.
PT 2022.10
UAD-2 Apollo Quad, PCIE and Satellite
Old 05-23-2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:

You should have received a RESTORE cd with your computer so ideally use that. Its the same procedure as above minus the re-formating.

Insert the disc, Restart the machine and hold the "C" key.

Hope this gets you back in action

M
Mark,

I must admit I am a novice with Mac (I spent my life so far cruising PCs). I do have a restore CD. and I do not wish to reformat/erase my hard-drive for I have tons of softs there.

So do you mean, I can re-install panther from the restore CD and have both Panther and Tiger on my Mac? I wish I could do that, for it will solve this compatibility prob forever.
Pleae let me know.

Oh man, I am way behind everybody, you guys are talking about Ptols 6.9, and I am still stuck with 6.4. I do have upgrade to 6.7 but I have yet to install 6.4 before upgrading.

I think digidesign has got some issues as far as alerting their clients on these complications. I mean I am regsitred digi002 user, I should have gotten an email alerting me on Tiger, am I right? I mean, I just stumbled on this website when I googled for the damn error -1133..

anyway:

Thanks, and sorry my english is not good.
A
Old 05-23-2005, 02:17 PM

Hi All,

On Friday last week I took delivery of my Brand new MAC Powerbook G4 with Tiger to use with my brand new Digi002. Maybe I didn't research enough but the Tiger thing came as a shock to me and I have spent a really frustrating weekend solving the problem.
A big thanks must go to DoctorSunshine who posts on the forum as he pointed me in the right direction.

This solution is for those of you like me who had to buy a new MAC - which you can only get with Tiger. The solutions is to buy a copy of OSX 10.3 (Panther) then.....

1. Borrow another MAC which has Panther
2. Load a new copy of Panther onto an external HD by inserting the installation CD into the borrowed MAC and setting the destination drive to the external HD.
3. Boot up by holding the ALT key whilst powering up to choose to boot from the external drive.
4. Then update to 10.3.9 using software update from the Apple menu on the borrowed MAC.
5. Remove the external HD and connect to your new MAC.
6. Power up with the Alt key down again to boot from the external HD on the new MAC and install Protools onto the external drive.
7: It should now work, the external drive will be your system drive, holding OSX (10.3.9) and Pro Tools & the internal HD will be your audio Drive. Remember to hold ALT every time you power up so you can boot from the external HD, this should do at least till the tiger update is available...Good Luck!

Pete
Old 05-23-2005, 05:30 PM

This is the answer I got from Digidesign conerning error -1133:
Quote:

Hello,
A free compatibility update for ProTools LE 6.9 for Mac OS X 10.4 is
expected to be available within 8 to 10 weeks of the 10.4 "Tiger" release.

A free compatibility update for ProTools TDM 6.9 for Mac OS X 10.4 is
expected to be available within 4 to 6 weeks of the 10.4 "Tiger" release.

Please stay tuned for more information. It will be posted on our website as
soon as it is available.
Regards,
Digidesign Customer Service Administration
My question again is:

I have PT 6.4 and its upgrade to 6.7. I have no PT6.9. So if there is no update of compatibility of PT6.4/6.7 with Tiger, does that mean I am out of the picture? How can I get 6.9 then? Gee

This is ridiculous!!! This whole stuff with digidesign sucks big time. Why don't you first create compatibility of 6.4 with Tiger?

Hello Digidesign: it's been a week now since I am trying to set up digi002 with G5Mac/Tiger. It is not working. And your TechSupport really SUCKS: I got an email from you days after I wrote you about these problems. Do you guys know what you are doing? and stop sending a no-reply email when I email you, it is not polite, Geeeeeeeeeee!!!

Tough life!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:34 PM

Sadly I do not think its a good idea, nor do I think your Mac will allow you to install an earlier version of OSX onto your machine without nuking (Re-formating) the drive.

Unless you have a partition you can wipe/use or, as explained above, an external drive you can install an earlier version of OSX on, I'm afraid its the waiting game !!

The "RESTORE" cd that came with your machine will only bring the machine back to its factory settings including whatever OS your machine shipped with.

It will delete all your files so to be safe (Especially considering you admit to being more of a PC user) I would suggest leaving things as they are until an update becomes available.

The suggestion above is a good one (Installing a copy of OSX 10.3x onto an external drive) but for the sake of a few weeks wait, I would sit on the fence with the rest of us as we throw dirty looks at the Digidesign Team !!

The problem is with all previous releases of Pro Tools, so to answer your question, none of the PT updates released to date will solve this problem.

I seem to have a different error than everybody else as a result of some twiddling (I can open PT but get an error message saying to select a valid audio drive to record to. I've tried a Firewire drive off my laptop but sadly no joy!)

Its frustrating I know, but you are not alone here and if you read the previous posts, you will see that Digidesign have written a reply/explanation.

Its summertime, shouldn't we all be out playing in the sun !!

M
Old 05-23-2005, 06:14 PM

If i have a G5, can i do that? erase the whole thing and then install Panther if i have the panther installation disk???! fill me in!!!

thanks
Old 05-23-2005, 07:16 PM

A question then... how long has it been since Tiger was released? About a month? Doesn't that mean Digi-Design should have an update ready within the next month, or even the next few weeks?!
Old 05-24-2005, 05:37 AM

Quote:

just wanted to point out that the Tiger compatibilty for ProTools is STILL the ONLY THING preventing me from updating my powerbook. ALL my other software works.
Must say DITTO to this. Although I do respect all the work Digi is doing.

Hey Digi, can you give us any update on the progress? It has almost been 4 weeks, which is the earliest you have posted on your compatibility site for a patch/update, there you mention 4-6 weeks after the release of Tiger, and here 8-10 so I am figuring 4-10 weeks, but just would like to know how it is coming over there.

http://www.Abravemix.com
Old 05-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Avid

Quote:

My question again is:

I have PT 6.4 and its upgrade to 6.7. I have no PT6.9. So if there is no update of compatibility of PT6.4/6.7 with Tiger, does that mean I am out of the picture? How can I get 6.9 then? Gee

You can download the Pro Tools 6.9 update from the downloads section of our website. You will need your Pro Tools 6.7 authorization code to do the download.
Closed Thread