Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2001, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Aux input meters vs Track meters

kcarter, not to be defensive, but I've read quite a bit on the TDM forums about headroom and resolution working hand-in-hand. i.e., "The 56 bit mix bus provides 6dB extra headroom for summing..." (just a for instance -- don't quote my numbers). I was just thinking out loud about the Auxes. I seem to remember reading that, unlike a TDM system, the math in LE is 32-bit floating-point. So with all these different resolutions in plug-ins, master busses, and systems, maybe the Aux inputs are treated differently, etc., etc.

Another point, I also seem to recall that ProTools looks for three consecutive samples to be "overs" to register "red" on the peak meters' LEDs.

Did you gain any more insight when you got home? I need to check this out myself. In the meantime... it just doesn't sound right.
Old 12-04-2001, 08:23 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by CCash:
I've read quite a bit on the TDM forums about headroom and resolution working hand-in-hand. i.e., "The 56 bit mix bus provides 6dB extra headroom for summing..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No offence taken -- you're obviously better-read on this than I am. (I've never even heard of the 56 bit mix bus!) Before PT I was a SoundForge guy (on the PC, of course)and probably my "facts" came from that experience. Thanks for your input. (And if you want to point me to more info on the 56 bit mix bus, I'd appreciate it!)

Yes I went home and verified all that we know already about this issue. I also checked the manual and found zero ref's to this issue. (Of course it is a big book and I might have missed something!)

Good to hear about the 3 sample overshoot check. (I knew I invested in a good system -- I just knew it!) Because the overshoot light illuminates on playback as well as record, we can test this out by drawing a waveform at the sample level. Have a peak just touch the max point, another touch it for two samples, another for three (etc) and then play it back. Which one(s) light the light?

(Hopefully this isn't too hard to do -- I haven't done sample-level pencil editing in PT for quite a while.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:07 AM

Ok, now I've read some of the headroom articles you were talking about. Keep in mind they are referring to 0dB-VU not 0dB-FS. The meters we have in PT are FS(Full Scale) (not VU) and consequently relate only to overflowing bits when the peak light comes on. 0dB-VU (ie. analog tape meters) equal about -14 to -18 dB on our systems (FS meters). One thread on this is URL=http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=005346]How hot levels do you go when tracking in PT?[/URL]

I hope this comes off ok. I too am not trying to be defensive but rather trying to communicate my point. This communication stuff is tough sometimes! How did I do? CCash, I realize you know this stuff, maybe I'm just saying it a different way?

Yes yes, I know this has nothing to do with the aux track peak light not working. What IS up with that?

Kurt