Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2001, 11:43 AM

Default Aux clipping? What?

I'm working on a DSP intensive track and had to set up an Aux input to which I am bussing several vocal tracks. I copied the 5 inserted plug-in settings from my lead vox track and put them on the Aux input now and it clipped? Why? How can I bring the level down?

Also...I'm a little confused with Bus level pre and post. I understand that with pre the effects are routed before the Lead Vox fader so I can move the the Lead Vox fader and nothing happens. Volume change only occurs when I move the Bus fader. Using post, moving the Lead Vox fader effects the send level and the volume.

I'm just trying to figure out all of this in relation to volume automation...

Give me an education on this one (bus level in relation to Aux input level in relation to orig. track level)...please!Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2001, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Aux clipping? What?

I think, if I understand you correctly, that it is all relative. If you are using reverb, for example, and send all the aux tracks at 50% and adjust your reverb input gain for the correct level, it is the same as sending all the aux levels at 100% and adjusting the reverb gain. Yes, you can send too much through the aux busses and overdrive an aux insert. By selecting "all" on the channel grouping, you can adjust all the aux levels at the same time.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 09-18-2001, 03:03 PM

Trackfive & company. Just to add to what has already been said, yes the sum of your track and/or sends does add up, and will clip something if you're not careful. As for the tracks overloading your master, just pulling down the master level should fix the problem without going back and remixing every instrument. The master is going to be your final output (basically) when you bounce, so if it doesn't clip, and you didn't clip anything while tracking, you should be final. And although many producers/engineers add a little compression at mixdown, it would probably be just as beneficial for you to wait until mastering for that, especially since its all going to be in the digital domain anyway. (You can always add it later and it'll sound the same, but if you decide you didn't like it at least you wouldn't have to make another bounce.)

As a generally good way to start out with Auxes, its good to keep your levels at 0 and trying to mix the auxes more carefully then constantly reaching for the Aux gain. This essentially won't make much difference in the digital domain, but could have some negative effects if you find yourself doing that behind an analog board someday. (Some equipment is noisier in the analog realm and cranking its input gain up before you adjust your Aux send's output would amplify the noise coming from the unit's inputs... which like I said, won't ruin things in ProTools, but could if you applied it to some other gear. Even if you're using outboard gear, etc.

Sorry if this sounds like rambling but I seriously was trying to help! Take it easy guys! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2001, 12:35 AM

This always happens to me as well and I've yet to understand it. I'm still fairly new to all of this. It's kinda like when I put a master fader on a mix and it clips when none of the other tracks do so. It may be the sum of all the tracks that add up and increase the volume as a whole...or something like that! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Does that mean that you have to lower the volumes of all the tracks? or do what I've been doing and run a limiter on my Aux tracks and master faders so not to clip?
Old 09-19-2001, 12:50 AM

Remember that the inserts on the channel strip are pre fader while the inserts on a master fader are post fader. You can set the aux as either pre or post.

You can also adjust the gain of many inserts. If I have already adjusted automation and the overall level is a little off, I will trim the gain on an insert to adjust the volume. I have even added an insert just to adjust the gain of a strip that already contains automation.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 09-19-2001, 12:57 AM

More specifics.....I want to be able to have all the desired effect (I assume Aux all the way up for 100% wet) and bus a bunch of tracks all using 100% of the effects the way they are...what is the way to do this and not overload? It appears as though I have to readjust all the insert levels after I thought all was set? Tell me it isnt so