Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2000, 01:42 AM

Default Aux in w/BF plugins

Greetings from Germany! I have demoed the BF Sansamp plugin and this thing sounds great. The trouble is I want to use it more often but it chews up Cpu power like my ex........ cash.

Is there anyway to create an aux-in with the desired sansamp sound on it and use the fader as a wet/dry level control so as to save that precious Cpu power? Could someone step this guitar player through the process or refer me to the proper thread. Thanks in advance.

Also I noticed that the high gain sounds were really creating a lot of hiss and hum with my tele. I then switched to my Kinman loaded strat and was rewarded with clear clean tone albeit no hiss and hum. I really recommend the Kinman strat/tele replacement pickups if your after that single coil sound and are near a computer monitor. Check out Kinman.com, they really kill.

Regards,

Seegs
Old 07-30-2000, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Aux in w/BF plugins

Hey guys/girls, anyone got an opinion on this one?
Should I use a POD or Johnson J Station instead of the BF Sansamp?
Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks Seegs

------------------

[This message has been edited by Seegs (edited July 30, 2000).]
Old 07-31-2000, 10:10 AM

I have the POD and haven't felt the need to get anything else (except my trusty amp).

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 07-31-2000, 02:25 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Seegs:

Is there anyway to create an aux-in with the desired sansamp sound on it and use the fader as a wet/dry level control so as to save that precious Cpu power? Could someone step this guitar player through the process or refer me to the proper thread. Thanks in advance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, pulling up an instance of the plug-in will eat up a chunk of CPU power, regardless of what it's doing or whether or not you can hear it.

The only thing to do is either use an outboard box like a POD (which I also have...is spiffy), or -- not as much fun --record dry and run the track through an Audiosuite version of SansAmp. (If there is one. If not, you'll have to bounce the track and re-import the result.)

With a POD or other outboard box, by the way, you can treat it just like a regular insert, sending and returning out the back of the 001, so you don't have to commit to any particular sound until the final mixdown.
Old 07-31-2000, 03:06 PM

You didn't have level/impedance problems with the POD as an insert? I'll have to try that...

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 08-01-2000, 08:18 AM

"Is there anyway to create an aux-in with the desired sansamp sound on it and use the fader as a wet/dry level control so as to save that precious Cpu power? Could someone step this guitar player through the process or refer me to the proper thread. Thanks in advance."

No one really answered your question, so here goes: You can either do as you said, or just track thru the plug in and print it to HD.
1. Create an aux channel with the sans amp plug-in in place. If you're working off a previously recorded "dry" guitar track, choose a bus output on that track where you select your output for that track; then, on the aux/sansamp track, create a matching bus-in where you would select the input. Now the aux fader will controll the amount of FX you desire.
2. To track thru the sansamp (as if it were actually an outboard piece of gear), create an aux channel with sansamp. Select the input to coincide with where your guitar is plugged in. Then select a bus output (let's say bus 1). Now create an audio track. Select bus 1 as your input. Yeah baby! Should work for you! Good luck, DB
Old 08-01-2000, 10:11 AM

Oh. You were asking about how to record wet to tape (er, platter)? Sorry, missed that.
Old 08-01-2000, 10:24 AM

I guess most of us missed that!

Although not the solution you were looking for (Dean did that one)...you could also use the audiosuite version of SansAmp. You can easily go back if you use a 2nd playlist for the file conversion. Audiosuite also renames the region, so you could also drag the original out of the bin.

If you don't like the result, you can always go back to the earlier version and redo it. Since auidosuite is much faster than realtime, it doesn't take that long.

Old 08-01-2000, 01:46 PM

Thanks guys,

That helps a bunch.

I would like to even go a little further with this as being first and foremost a guitarist and now a budding engineer I'm rather picky about, not only how my guitar sounds but more importantly to me, how it feels when I am playing, which in turn influences how I sound.

Tracking with the 001 is all a new deal for me and I must say I have tried some of these so called direct boxes and they may sound OK but they do not feel right. I hope I havn't lost anybody. For example the POD it sounds great, almost too great, but for me it doesn't feel right, same with the Sansamp GT2, although great for bass. I was however quite shocked with the both the feel and sound of the BF Sansamp plugin but due to processor overhead it is almost unusable. But I will certainly try Deans suggestions and cross my fingers as I was really diggin' that Hendrix preset.

Now for the next question: Has anyone tried any of the other avaliable options? Dave Lockwood of Sound on Sound, out of London, did a rather sparkling review, in the August issue, of the Johnson J-Station. Besides being a really fine player himself Dave is a very discerning reviewer and I trust his opinions implicitly. Anyone have experience with the J-Station while tracking into the 001? Just curious?

How about the Mesa Boogie Formula recording preamp? Lexicon also makes one. Or how about the Joe Meek VC6Q British Channel or any other resonably priced options that are not 400 years old. I'm just looking for that magic box that gives me that feeling, that connection to my instrument that I only seem to get when plugged in and cranked. Again your help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Seegs