Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 AM

Default Re: The Best Studio Headphone

Most musicians have really liked the AKG K-171's that I use. Good isolation. Good sound. About $130. I also use them as a mixing reference, along with big/medium/small speakers. For VO sessions, get the Sony's. My 2 cents !!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-15-2009, 07:39 PM

After all these years the only one I use are the DT 770.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:24 PM

I've had an AKG K240 Anniversary Edition since 1998 and it's still in perfect working condition.

http://www.facebook.com/sergeamh
Old 05-26-2009, 11:16 PM

I use the Ultra 750's for myself and the sennheisers for my musicians / vocalist.

I often reference my mixes in headphones. I would never do a mix solely on headphones, but I find that with today's iPod standard it would be foolish NOT to make sure that you mix sounds good on headphones.

Also, mixes will sound much wetter in headphones than they do on nearfields or mains. Between that and a VERY different perception of stereo field between headphones and speakers, it is always best to check between the two and make sure your mixes translate on both just as you would with your A, B & C speakers.
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 AM

The Sennheisers are ok, but they color the low mids, and the cups will give you motion sickness as they are a little too intense on the glands..
I recently bought Sony's flat, great sig to noise ratio, low impedance, and the metal under frame means durability..
The AKG's sound the best, but the plastic is a turn off for durability..
I also liked the sony's in that I can order replacement cans, parts what have you fairly easily..
Old 05-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Default Re: The Best Studio Headphone Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssiumatic View Post
I warmly recommend akg k518dj . Theyre way below 200 dollars, but good ones.
I originally bought them for portable player use, but i tried mixing with them with great results, no big difference between headphones and speakers when i compared how i wanted things. So...theres one budget headphones recommendation :)
O_O
Abyssiumatic, when he said mixing I dont think he meant that kind of mixing!
He wants GOOD Studio Monitoring Headphones!
...Er I strongly recommend Beyerdynamic DT Range For Sure!
They have been going strong for years and all the parts are replaceable on them!
If you can spend a bit more go for Sennheiser HD 650's.

"The DT770 features circular, fully sealed acoustic chambers with foam-filled velour ear cushions that fit over, rather than resting upon, the ears. Inside is a ported bass reflex system and the frequency response is quoted as 5Hz to 35kHz, though the roll-off limits are not specified. A 3m coiled cord is fitted to the phones and terminates in what appears to be a gold-plated quarter-inch jack plug -- but unscrew the barrel and there's a 3.5mm stereo jack inside. However, unlike that of the DT100, the cord doesn't unplug so replacement will involve some disassembly. Each phone is supported in an anodised aluminium yoke and these are in turn supported by a well padded, adjustable headband."
(SOS 1999)
Old 05-27-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
My ranking of the headphones here:

1) Denon AH-D2000 (no isolation but incredible comfort and I love the bass-rich tone...must be tried to be believed)

2) Audio technica ATH-M50 (these are great tracking cans and all-rounders, except they get sweaty)

3) Sennheiser HD600 (again no isolation but great comfort)

4) Beyer DT770 pro 80 ohm (Best isolation, hyped response, great for vocal tracking)

5) Ultrasone Proline 750 (excellent isolation, deep bass, not great sound but good for checking mixes)

6) AKG K701 (far, far too little bass mars an otherwise impressive sound, also quite uncomfortable)

7) Sennheiser HD280 (great isolation and solid all-rounder, gets sweaty, but a fine way to outfit a studio)

8) Sony 7506 (godawful sound, but some people still want them)

9) AKG K240/K140 etc. (These lower end AKGs are so miserably bright and uncomfy etc. I have no idea how they sell any...I get them as freebies and literally give them to charity)

I've also tried and returned the Extreme Isolation headphones...they actually had very poor isolation and an awful tone. The MoreMe brand also sucks (although you're not supposed to insult the old hack who hangs around online forums and sells them). I do recommend having vic firth 22db hearing protector cans around, you can slip earbuds under them for the best isolation possible.

Also. there are audiophool nutcases who recommend mods be done to headphones...ignore them; you are a professional.

Learn to solder as any of these break within a year and you can usually fix them.
"8) Sony 7506 (godawful sound, but some people still want them)"
Haha
Sooo true why do people WANT TO USE the sony's are they DJ's???
Those that do need to do some critical A-B comparisons.
I would rather use Behringer Studio Grade and Citronic DJ Headphones!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:56 AM

Sennheiser HD600 are my choice... cheaper than the 650's and I love the acuracy.

I actually cut down my time at the studio I was renting time at and am able to complete mixes on my le rig when the budgets are low.

using reference tracks to get the perspective is also crucial... but for editing and getting mixes very close, I am totally able to do it.

I also used the Sony V6's but found that although I could of course get work done at night the mixes were not close when I took them to the studio. Whereas with the 600 the mixes were real close. . and then with a little extra work and referencing they work.

I have heard a pair of 650's and they might be good for me cause I seem to want to mix bright on the 600's (reference tracks help me get it back in line) Seemed the 650's were a little brighter and might work for me. . but how I think it should be and how I hear it is my perspective..

Maybe not for you..

if you can find a hi fi store that has the 600 and 650's check em out.

In NY with a few of the guys I know they are a studio staple.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 AM

I vote for the Sennheiser HD280 Pros.... They translate very well and super close to a Dolby cal'd room (the one caveat being needing to have know how a Dolby room sounds) at least in my experiences; a near 1:1. Have tried the MDR 7506s (junk, sound like everythings in a tin can, overly bright from 2-4k) and the DT 880s (dull response, definitely not flat even though its claimed). And the best part, these are dirt cheap.

Overall though, headphones are very much a "you get what you pay for" with a few exceptions like the HD280s... and for any good set of phones, depending upon your tastes, don't expect to spend less than $100 on a pair
Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 PM

is this thread long enough to inject some humor?......."and the cups will give you motion sickness as they are a little too intense on the glands......."
Maybe you're wearing them on the wrong.......

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I shall now go to my room.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave