Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2008, 07:08 AM

Default Aux question

Hello

Working on vocals all in the box, I've been groupnig all main vocs to an aux then adding some effects at that stage. If the aux is stereo and I add stereo effects with the mono vocal channels that I send to it stay mono ?

Also is there a way of setting up a channel that has just the effected part of a signal on it, for exsample I'd like to eq cut part of some reverb.

Hope this makes sence, I've only moved to mixing in the box recently, I have been Mackie 24:8 then Yamaha 01v96 until now.

Cheers

Toe
Old 08-01-2008, 07:29 AM

Lets see if I understand you correctly. If youre grouping all your vocals to one bus (aux) which is stereo and you add effects on that bus youl use stereo plugins. but if you put a plugin on the mono vocal ch. before its sent to the bus tehn that effect will be (eg. EQ and compressor) mono. but it'll be in perspective to where it is panned to on the aux.

hope that it makes sense.

on the 2nd part, what id do to EQ a reverb for an effect without putting it on the aux with the reverb is by creating a 2nd aux and bussing the reverb out to the 2nd aux and EQ that aux (as on an analog desk). But i hope you dont have the reverb on the vocal buss where youre sending all your main vocal tracks, cause then you cant do that.

Rule of thumb for me, is that my delays and reverbs are on theire own auwes and i just create a send from my vocals or drums or whatever to add the right amount (as youd do on your analog mixer.)

hope this all made sense.;-)

http://www.cmproductions.co.za
Old 08-01-2008, 08:10 AM

Cheers

So I send a mono channel to a Stereo Aux with stereo effects and my mono signal is stil mono in the mix, cool.

So I can set up effect sends like on my old desks ? and inserts ?
This takes a bit of getting your head round, feels a bit like tryin to teach my mum and dad how to set up a DVD player
Old 08-01-2008, 12:08 PM

On sends you have the option of linking the panner to the track panner or not linking..

It is also helpful to rename the busses you use for a dedicated reverb , delay send. You can do that in I/O set-up.. That way you don't have to remember what bus goes to the verb aux.. Kinda like masking tape and a sharpie.

I feel like a broken record always mentioning this, but the ProTools accelerated videos on the Digi website go over the creation of a template so any new project starts out with all this stuff configured and ready to go.. Great time saver...