Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-02-2007, 02:15 PM

Default What FTP Server to use? X-Serve?

Hi there,

I was just wondering what type of FTP server anybody, particularly larger facilities, use. X-Serve or PC based? I'm trying to work out whether it's best to pay more and get X-Serve to stay all mac or if this matters at all. After all it's data right?!! I think Digidesign have priced themselves out of my budget with Digidelivery.

Cheers for any thoughts
Old 05-02-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: What FTP Server to use? X-Serve?

I'm happy with fatcow.com for ftp. Very Mac friendly.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:51 PM

Digidelivery has been very very convenient and reliable for us. It has the added bonus of security without the need for passwords as only the recipient gets an email with the download code. The LT version is cheaper than an Xserve and let me tell you is far easier to setup and administer.
hope this helps
Simon L.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:58 PM

We've had good luck with YouSendIt.com.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:49 PM

I would imagine that most "larger facilities" would use a Linux based server for FTP purposes.
Problems arise with that if you don't have I.T. expertise available though because they can be rather tricky to setup and extremely finicky with hardware sometimes.

FWIW, the X-serve seems to have a nice point-click interface that makes it much easier to manage traditional services such as FTP and HTTP-web servers that are usually reserved for I.T. pro's. I like the fact that it uses Apache and has point-click management. Of course, the terminal window is just a click away in the X-server OS if you are an I.T. pro. This has pro's and con's - the pro is you can setup things relatively easily (and of course with the X-serve hardware there are no "finicky" issues)...the con is you can shoot yourself in the foot when it comes to security. FTP, for instance - isn't traditionally a "secure" protocol and your data as well as username and passwords typically traverse the network in clear text that can be snagged off by any clever uneithical person with a packet sniffer and some time on their hands - this problem increases exponentially when you factor in wireless. I don't know any statistics on industrial esponage in the recording industry - but with the infection of early leaked unmastered albums and peer2peer file sharing I think the facts speak for themselves and I would imagine that most folks would at least want to make any potentially future intellectual property theieves have to WORK to steal their hard work (as opposed to possibly handing it over on a silver platter with an unsecure protocol such as FTP.)

At the risk of sounding like a commerical or even a cheerleader for Digi, I think the digideliveryLT is a pretty decent deal (as sleadley pointed out above) for what all it offers - especially given the secure data transfer. Of course, if you have I.T. expertise yourself or on your office staff you could possibly do it cheaper, but time is money too.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Hi there,

I was just wondering what type of FTP server anybody, particularly larger facilities, use. X-Serve or PC based? I'm trying to work out whether it's best to pay more and get X-Serve to stay all mac or if this matters at all.
X-Serve is hardware that ships with OS X Server installed. OS X Server can run on any Mac that OS X runs on. If you have a Mac that you can't use for other purposes, you could install a copy of OS X Server on it and use that as your server.

In my opinion, DigiDelivery is great for collaborating with other Pro Tools users. Some people, primarily those that do not use Pro Tools, will be unwilling, if not unable, to install the client software. For us, that meant it wasn't an option. The other services mentioned may be suitable, but do they offer the granularity, security, and perhaps most importantly, the image you want?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Well, I've been paying about $100 CDN per month for my FTP hosting service for about 2 or 3 years, and I finally got sick of the long upload times, and bought the same software they are using.

For $250 US, I bought a copy of Rumpus FTP, and I haven't looked back. It runs great under OSX, and I was able to set it up in a very short amount of time. I followed all of their info on how to set up the ports on my router, and it was a snap.

If you already have a fixed IP address, then you're ready to go.

It has a great Web interface, and works well with Fetch, Transmit, etc...

Anyhow, it was well worth it, and now I can copy stuff onto the machine at the front desk in seconds, and it's ready for clients right away.

The version I bought will handle up to 20 user accounts. Plenty fine for my world.

Can't say enough good things about Rumpus.

Cheers, eh?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 PM

the absolute best and by far easiest, cheapest, and most reliable unit, is just to take a old g3 or g4 and run a FTP with Rumpus . it is so easy to configure it is amazing.
I install FTP servers all the time and I cant even remember when I had to do any maintenance. I have 2 client FTP's that have been on for over a year.
just stick a old CPU in a closet with an e-net connection and a static IP..

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
studio.tech@yahoo.comm
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 05-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Another vote for Rumpus. I've been hosting my own server for a couple of years now, and Rumpus has been flawless. Rumpus has a very nice web interface in addition to FTP.

STeve
Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I use .Mac's iDisk, and although it is really slow to upload and probably more expensive than other similar services, I like that it is integrated into the OS, and the web page that you can make for clients to download looks nice and professional. There are still a few quirks with it that drive me mad though.

I would like to hear what other people have to say about iDisk.

I used to use iDisk. But now with Rumpus, all I have to do is copy what I want to distribute to my server's hard drive (no long upload time and space limitation). Everybody can have their own folder and password.

STeve