Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 PM

Default Wiring DB25? Plus Canaire 8 Channel Cable for Snake?

So i recently purchased some raw GEPCO 6608HS 8 Pair balanced audio snake cable. Each pair has an outer cellophane type wrap, that is a pain to remove. Once removed, the unshielded wire (ground) is fully exposed, the hot/cold wires are covered with a clear plastic covering, that is also a pain to remove.

I am wiring the cable to a DB25 Connector:

Question 1: If you have any advice on how best to remove the various coverings, I am all ears.....

Question 2: Since the ground wire is fully exposed on each of the 8 pairs, is there any reason why there would be a problem if ground wires touched other ground wires from other pairs/channels? I'm not talking about touching at the DB24 connector, but before that....

I also have a separate 16 channel snake cable, that is much, much easier to work with that I plan to solder (2) DB25 cables on each end to go between a 192 I/O 8 Channel Out to DB25 Patchbay, then another one to connect the 192 I/O Inputs to the same patchbay. The challenge with this one,the outer coating on each pair is much thicker, so once the soldering has been done, all the 8 pairs will not fit inside the opening on the DB25 connector housing. So I'm thinking about using separate thinner wires to make jumpers from the original pairs to the solder points on the DB25 connector. I would heat-shrink each pair, as well as place layers of heat shrink around the connections points from the original 8 pairs to the smaller wire 8 pairs?

Question 3: Any reason not do do this?

Question 4: Would you simply wrap the strands from each of the joining cables, and then solder and then heat shrink or would you make crimp connectors and then heat shrink?

Question 5: If crimping, any recommendations?

If I've done a terrible job explaining myself, let me know that too!!!!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp

Last edited by Barry Johns; 09-01-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Wiring DB25? Plus Canaire 8 Channel Cable for Snake?

Having some experience in doing these kinds of things let me say you're going to be doing a lot of small, careful work that may make you wonder why you didn't farm this out to someone with the tools. My explanation is going to go from the point of view that may seem simple and condescending but it's the only way I can make sure to cover everything.

Removing the insulation (what you call covering) is the first hurdle. There are specific tools made to do this called wire strippers but they're not cheap for the good ones. With very careful use you can use an X-acto hobby knife with a sharp blade; what you would do is to go around the cable with the blade to a shallow depth. I say shallow because you do not want to cut what's underneath the insulation. Done to the right depth you should be able to slide the insulation off and the wire or whatever is underneath won't be harmed.

Now's a good time to mention that you should only strip back as little insulation as possible; enough to fit into the cup of the connector and just a hair more.

Now for that ground wire. If you Google the pin out for a DB25 (make sure you look at the right one as there's two different wiring schemes for DB25 audio cables. You want the one for Tascam analog. There are pins for the hot wire, the return wire and ground wire for each channel. 8 channels with 3 wires each for 24 connections with no connection to pin 13. I would sleeve the bare ground wire.

In your second scenario I need a little clarification. What is the exact construction of the snake? Is this 16 separate cables inside a common jacket, two sets of 8 separate cables each in their own jacket or what? Can you give an exact part number and web page for it? Either way around using small jumper wires will create a weak point in the system if it's not done right. And it's not something that someone who doesn't do this on a regular basis should attempt (not if you want a 100% working system).

Speaking of doing it right - how much experience in soldering do you have? What are you using to solder with? I've got the tools to do the job even though it's not my day job anymore and those tools ain't cheap.

QAPLA!
Old 09-02-2017, 10:44 AM

Thanks for reminding me why I bought "over the counter" DB25's

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-02-2017, 01:17 PM

I have all the equipment, and am pretty good at making cables, and for my time/money I would buy a good pre-made cable. Limit any work to custom/exotic cables or repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Thanks for reminding me why I bought "over the counter" DB25's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I have all the equipment, and am pretty good at making cables, and for my time/money I would buy a good pre-made cable. Limit any work to custom/exotic cables or repairs.

Agreed on both accounts. Making your own cables when there's already excellent ones out there is a waste of time and effort.

QAPLA!
Old 09-02-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
!!!!

I have all the right tools, have done these myself and have an MSEE - Hardest bunch of soldering or crimping to get right there is ... I only buy premade ones anymore. If you like you can get DB25 to DB25 ProAudio LA or even some of the cheaper ones - cut them in half and custom make the other end. Almost every used one I bought that was "homemade" was terrible workmanship or flat out wrong on the DB25 part.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 09-08-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Question 2: Since the ground wire is fully exposed on each of the 8 pairs, is there any reason why there would be a problem if ground wires touched other ground wires from other pairs/channels?
No. The grounds touch to common ground anyway
Old 09-08-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
!!!!
If you like you can get DB25 to DB25 ProAudio LA or even some of the cheaper ones - cut them in half and custom make the other end.
This is where I bought our DB25 fan outs for our HDX system this spring. The build and ship time was a little annoying, but I'm glad I didn't have to sit there and solder all that together myself. I've got better things to do with my time.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 09-08-2017, 05:15 PM

Each cable I'm making, if having built at Redco, was going to be $200, my build when done will cost less than $80, using better cable.

I've since worked through the challenge I was having, it ended up being a Duh moment, but the cable is done and I've learned a lot along the way.

I never pay someone to do something I can do myself, I fix my cars, all home appliances, small engines like weedeaters, lawn mowers, etc. YouTube is an amazing gift!

So I finally asked myself, why not DB25 snakes. In a year I'm moving my studio to my detached garage, and plan to wire it all myself, so I'm getting my practice in now.

My motto, if someone else can do it without the need for an extensive education, then I can do it😄

Now, if you can help me with Hurricane Irma, that my house is literally inline with the current target!!!!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 09-08-2017, 05:50 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. I used to follow your philosophy of fixing everything I can by myself (piston rings on a lawnmower, transmission on a washing machine, replacing capacitors in a power supply for a led tv and computer monitor, electrical and plumbing around the house, etc.), but the older I get, the less I want to mess with things like that.

Good luck with Irma, we just got through with Harvey here in Houston. My neighborhood is fine, but some are still underwater due to water releases from the reservoirs.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.