Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 PM

Default PT11 and Mackie Onyx 1620i

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully used a Mackie Onyx with PT 11 software? I found this thread (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=357178) but it was for PT 11HD.

I have a trial version of PT11 (11.2.1) that I am trying to configure to work with my Mackie Onyx 1620i connected to my MacBook Pro (15 inch, Mid-2010, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, OS X 10.8.5). I can select it as the playback engine, but when I try to playback, I get a blinking green playback icon with the stop/pause button in blue, and a spinning rainbow cursor.

Additionally,when I launch the "Launch Setup App" under the Setup/Hardware menu option, I see the Onyx device, but when I click the little gear at the bottom in order to "Use the device for sound input", I find that option greyed-out, and I am unable to choose it.

For what it is worth, the Onyx works with Logic, so I'm sure that there is not a basic connectivity issue between the laptop and the Onyx. I suspect I am SOL, but, it would be great to hear from anyone who might have battled through this before me.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:01 AM

Default Re: PT11 and Mackie Onyx 1620i

Have you setup the IO routing for the Mackie?
If not, go to the IO window and press the Defualt button on the Input, Output and Bus tabs.

System Details
Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 AM

Hi Will,

Thanks for responding. On the IO Input screen, all options (New Path, New Sub-Path, Delete Path, Default) are all greyed out.

On the Output and Bus tabs, I have "Default", but on the Audition Paths and Default Output drop menus, it defaults to "Built-in Output 1-2", with no Onyx option in the drop lists...

Any other ideas?
Old 10-21-2014, 11:24 AM

Default PT11 and Mackie Onyx 1620i

It almost sounds like you are trying to use an aggregate device.

What is your playback engine set to? When starting Pro Tools hold down the N key until the playback engine dialog panel appears and make sure the Onyx is selected. It is easy to restart Pro Tools and try to mess with the IO only to find it is using a different playback engine than you expect, so I am just asking you to confirm that when you are trying to default IO settings that this is actually the playback engine. If you are stuck some screenshots of the IO pages may help.

I have no experience with the Onyx but make sure it is not being used elsewhere by any other app or OS X, and is not part of say an aggregate IO device. Do you have the latest driver installed for it that is compatible with your OS X version.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:51 PM

Darryl,

A million thank you's! The playback dialog panel indicated, just as you suggested, some sort of ProTools aggregated device. Changing it to the Onyx addressed the issues, allowing me to playback, assign IO through the defaults (as suggested by Will), and track through the Onyx. At first glance, it appears that my particular set of versions/hardware will work successfully.

For anyone else who might coma along later: I am running one of the early Onyx iSeries (1620i, serial number starting with 00), which uses the Mac core audio (i.e. not drivers Mackie provides), and according to Mackie is unsupported on any OS X version above 10.7.1. Regardless, in my particular case, it does work...

Thank you so much Will and Darryl.