Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2017, 01:17 PM

Default Re: "I'm leaving Pro Tools for ... DAW"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Wow. That's insane. 12.7 has been amazing for me. No issues with Waves or any other plugins. Only time it crashed was when my Autotune demo ran out and I tried to reactivate the plugin so I can see what the settings were. Not sure if this is an Avid issue or Antares though!
after a full day and a half, 12.7 is working quite nicely. I did have a few old sessions open with a message about missing files and relink would not find them, but it turned out that it was looking for random Elastic audio stuff that wasn't in the CLIPS bin. Save and re-open the sessions and they run fine. CPU meter seems to run lower than 12.4/.5/.6 too.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
You kinda do have to leave man, for two main reasons.

1. 90% of people, I'd say, do not want to stay back on an older version while the newest version has a lot of the features PT users have been waiting for for a long time. And so they don't stay back. They keep subscribing, hoping things will get better, and clearly it doesn't seem to be, for many people.

2. I think at this point, a lot of people are still on Pro Tools because everyone uses it and it makes collabs easy. Just load someones session, setup your I/O and you're done. So by people staying on Pro Tools for this convenience, it keeps people in the environment which leads to renewed subscriptions and upgrades. By people migrating to other products, it gets people in the mindset to just suck it up and just get used to bouncing and sending out stems. More work that a lot of Pro Tools users aren't used to, but it will open that freedom to really leave the Pro Tools 'Industry Standard' mentality in the past.

IMO
I don't agree that 90% of PT users are current...There are a LOT of music studios on old systems....I do agree people are staying on PT because of the main stream use but that's no incentive to stay current on the plan alone...They don't need new features, they need a stable system first and foremost to get the work done on a short timeline....I have no desire to learn a new DAW....I also have no desire to keep paying Avid yearly for "features" I don't want....I'll just stay parked where I am for now....moon
Old 01-07-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmusic View Post
I don't agree that 90% of PT users are current...There are a LOT of music studios on old systems....I do agree people are staying on PT because of the main stream use but that's no incentive to stay current on the plan alone...They don't need new features, they need a stable system first and foremost to get the work done on a short timeline....I have no desire to learn a new DAW....I also have no desire to keep paying Avid yearly for "features" I don't want....I'll just stay parked where I am for now....moon

It's mostly larger commercial studios that stick to the old software though. But those studios are now becoming needles in haystacks. There is a lot more personal/home users and small project studios and many do prefer to stay current, and a lot of the ones that aren't current are only staying on PT 10 because they don't want to let go of their cracked plugins.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 01-08-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It's mostly larger commercial studios that stick to the old software though. But those studios are now becoming needles in haystacks. There is a lot more personal/home users and small project studios and many do prefer to stay current, and a lot of the ones that aren't current are only staying on PT 10 because they don't want to let go of their cracked plugins.
0 cracked plugs on my system.....Your on PT vanilla so what do you know about the cost of keeping HD systems current?.....You can pay $99 and your good to go for another year....I can assure you the reason I stay on 10HD isn't to run cracked plugs ...If you want a real clue, look up the prices of HDX cards, HD i/o interfaces and compatible macs not to mention the $399/year premium...If 90% majority is current as you say, why does Avid still bundle 10HD with the latest 12HD?.....moon
Old 01-08-2017, 04:15 PM

Maybe they include 10 so you are able to open old sessions.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmusic View Post
0 cracked plugs on my system.....Your on PT vanilla so what do you know about the cost of keeping HD systems current?.....You can pay $99 and your good to go for another year....I can assure you the reason I stay on 10HD isn't to run cracked plugs ...If you want a real clue, look up the prices of HDX cards, HD i/o interfaces and compatible macs not to mention the $399/year premium...If 90% majority is current as you say, why does Avid still bundle 10HD with the latest 12HD?.....moon
Again, you're talking about a version that the minority of Pro Tools users today are using. And you seem to think I'm talking specifically about you or that I'm saying 100% of people. The bottom line is that the majority of Pro Tools users today are on Native, and most would prefer to stay current, as could be seen by the constant crying on this forum for new features.

As far as why they include 10 with 12, this question is irrelevant since we are referring to a person that is choosing not to stay current, as he would not have a 12 license to begin with.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 01-08-2017, 06:17 PM

For better or worse, I'm locked in. I love this damn thing we call ProTools, and I did all the chasing around for years, I've owned and used every major DAW out there, and nothing fits like a glove to me except Protools.

So, I'm going to continue to try to thorn in the side routine, yes I know, i'm wasting my time, but its the path I've chosen. Maybe not the way I've gone about it in the past, but I'm still going to keep on, keeping on, and hope for change.

I will keep my Vanilla version up to date, even though I don't use it, just to try out somethings. Heck, I just started using PTHD 11 last week, and have owned it since the day it came out.

Today, Avid sees no advantage of the Single License owner of PTHD. They understand that most of them have realized the don't really "Need" HD any longer, and have either migrated to Native or are just continuing to use HD because they own it (Me, by the way). I don't make my living from my HD rig, but I paid the money all the same to buy it, because I can. Some guys have their Boats, their Motorcycles, and/or Jet Ski's. Me, I've goy my home recording studio that most guys would kill to have and I thank the Good Lord for it everyday!

What I refuse to do, is spend (Wait, waist) $400 every single year and get zero return on investment. So, I've learned, or am trying to learn to be content!

Here is my pricing recommendation:

Vanilla - $99 a year
PTHD 1-2 Licenses - $199 a year
PTHD 3+ Licenses - $399 a year

If the guy with 3 or more licenses ask why he is paying more than someone who has fewer, as most would consider that a logical question, well, Avid's response can be, you are the customer that will benefit more from the R&D.

Make it like Waves, all you gotta pay to get back up to date, is joint the plan.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-13-2017, 09:13 AM

Particularly, I never took Protools seriously as an amateur user.

The first DAW in which I had contact was Cool Edit and Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition). I just plugged a dynamic microphone on the mic input of my SoundBlaster16-compatible sound card and started recording noisy overdubs of my guitar, voice and bass. That app looked like fun and I thought it was worth paying for that in the future. At that point I used that app just as very uncompromising hobby. So I left it by years to improve my programming skills.

Later, around 2010, bought my first Mac. Adobe was about to launch Audition for Mac and was giving alpha and beta installers to the community. So my home studio hobby was back. Bought a Fast Track Pro in Dec-2010, a Shure headset and started playing. Audition for Mac was a bit buggy in that betas, but it still looked as nice as the older Cool Edit Pro I used a decade before. Months later I lost my file system and couldn't recover the Audition beta installer. So I gave a chance to GarageBand and Protools LE (bundled with the FT Pro installation media). At a first glance, they seemed complicated (GarageBand), buggy (Protools LE) and limited (both). Recording at 44100/16bit was a turn off, though, and I was about to abandon my hobby when I found Reaper.

Reaper was not as nice in 2011 as it currently is, but it was worth for the money and looked way more well-finished than Audacity. Now it still has some UX problems, but overall it's a pretty solid application with a flexible price which allows hobbyists and small businesses to give a try. All the other DAWs I know are targeted exclusively to people who make big money in professional recording studios. As in the digital camera business, you can't depend exclusively on National Geographic or NY Times photographers.

To me this is the big mistake by the older DAW manufacturers, like Avid, Apple and Adobe. We don't want a toy app like GarageBand. Just give us Logic Pro and apply different license terms depending on the usage you do. Reaper have a big potential community to grow up. Classic DAWs only lose market share because they're target to professional studios. Also, they're commited with legacy code that probably a few programmers are capable of mantain. Old software needs refactoring and Reaper has this advantage over older solutions.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:01 AM

I use PT for one reason alone. It does what I want it to do.
Started with the UKs first PT3 TDM system back in 1994. My current Dell Workstation has been home to PTs 8, 11, and 12. Never had the need to use HD. Working in surround in
PT Vanilla has never been a problem. Also never had the problems such as AAE errors, AVE errors, or cpu spikes. So these are the reasons I stay up to date.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 01-17-2017, 06:27 AM

We have PT for one reason and one reason only - people ask for it.

Personally, I stopped using it almost as soon as I started, as it just does not have most of the 'must-have' features I require. Now I only use Reaper.