Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 PM

Default Re: "I'm leaving Pro Tools for ... DAW"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
THIS is what's going to solve the problem for those with unstable systems; actually going to another DAW and hurting Avids pockets and market share is what has to happen. Several long time Pro Tools users are actually making the switch AND giving detailed videos on the exact reasons why and what the benefits are in other options.
You don't have to leave Protools to send a message.....Just freeze it....As I mentioned in the other thread, I could use the version I have for many years....By the time I need to update it, the upgrade path will be a much clearer choice than it is now....Studio One has certainly gained a lot of users in a relatively short period of time.....It really doesn't matter what you use these days though as long as you can export the separate audio tracks....Audio import/export seems to be the universal protocol these days....moon
Old 01-06-2017, 12:01 AM

I never bothered with PT12, uninstalled PT11 and stopped paying the update fees.
I'm parked at PTHD10 and busy making a living with a very solid rig that runs day in and day out no problems. Avid forced me into this place, their loss.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:16 AM

Frozen at 12.7 here. Subscription due some time in January, won't be paying.

Started using Reaper about 8 months ago and, after a steepish learning curve, much prefer it. The ability to bend it to your own way of working and create kbd shortcuts, macros etc makes it a much faster platform for me.

Also, I get the feeling it's written by people who actually give a sh**.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:59 AM

I really don't understand this...
When you make the decision to change DAW you don't come back to the PT user forum saying I'm leaving, really, I'm leaving and expecting that some one will tell you PLEASE DON'T LEAVE PT is the perfect DAW...

If the glove don't fit you, just buy another one till you felt right with it and make you do what you want better.

Don't waste time on forums... Just go, close the door and be happy.

ehehe

Happy new year

by the way, I use, PT HD mainly, then Cubase then Logic then Ableton then Reason.. eheheh 98% of the time I use PT, any DAW is "perfect" if you know what you need and how to use them.

For all the "moaners" I've created a FB forum Pro tools The Twilight Moan
feel free to "Moan" there.

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro

Last edited by Marco Bernardo; 01-06-2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I ran 12.7 for several hours today. First run was horrid(tons of non-working plugins). Reboot and restart PT and half the plugins came back. Uninstalled and reinstalled all my Waves plugins>reboot and almost all plugins worked(though a couple required a re-authorization). Sure wish everyone had an option for iLok(I know many will roll their eyes at this, but DANG! iLok just plain works)
Wow. That's insane. 12.7 has been amazing for me. No issues with Waves or any other plugins. Only time it crashed was when my Autotune demo ran out and I tried to reactivate the plugin so I can see what the settings were. Not sure if this is an Avid issue or Antares though!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 01-06-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
I know most ppl want more MIDI features, but I think what Pro Tools really needs is a complete overhaul of the underlying code. It's powerful but bloated. Reaper gave me an extra several years out of my old machine. Even with a 2015 MBP, PT gives me dropouts when playing Sonivox strings. (Got that a few days ago for $1. ) Open the same plugin in Garageband and no dropouts.

If PT13 doesn't deliver a significant improvement in efficiency and performance, I'll be switching to Logic or at the very least not renewing.
PT 13 or PT 12.XX no matter. This IS the important point.

I do believe however that underlying OS bugs justify a serious effort on Avid's part to put PT in a more adequate OS environment. Linux for me would be a valid option, just look at what Waves did with their sound grid architecture.
Avid is however glued to their HW, they need to sell I suppose.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmusic View Post
You don't have to leave Protools to send a message.....Just freeze it....As I mentioned in the other thread, I could use the version I have for many years....By the time I need to update it, the upgrade path will be a much clearer choice than it is now....Studio One has certainly gained a lot of users in a relatively short period of time.....It really doesn't matter what you use these days though as long as you can export the separate audio tracks....Audio import/export seems to be the universal protocol these days....moon
You kinda do have to leave man, for two main reasons.

1. 90% of people, I'd say, do not want to stay back on an older version while the newest version has a lot of the features PT users have been waiting for for a long time. And so they don't stay back. They keep subscribing, hoping things will get better, and clearly it doesn't seem to be, for many people.

2. I think at this point, a lot of people are still on Pro Tools because everyone uses it and it makes collabs easy. Just load someones session, setup your I/O and you're done. So by people staying on Pro Tools for this convenience, it keeps people in the environment which leads to renewed subscriptions and upgrades. By people migrating to other products, it gets people in the mindset to just suck it up and just get used to bouncing and sending out stems. More work that a lot of Pro Tools users aren't used to, but it will open that freedom to really leave the Pro Tools 'Industry Standard' mentality in the past.

IMO

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 01-06-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Bernardo View Post
I really don't understand this...
When you make the decision to change DAW you don't come back to the PT user forum saying I'm leaving, really, I'm leaving and expecting that some one will tell you PLEASE DON'T LEAVE PT is the perfect DAW...

If the glove don't fit you, just buy another one till you felt right with it and make you do what you want better.

Don't waste time on forums... Just go, close the door and be happy.

ehehe

Happy new year

by the way, I use, PT HD mainly, then Cubase then Logic then Ableton then Reason.. eheheh 98% of the time I use PT, any DAW is "perfect" if you know what you need and how to use them.

For all the "moaners" I've created a FB forum Pro tools The Twilight Moan
feel free to "Moan" there.
This post reminds of the musicians at "The Titanic"
Old 01-06-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro perez View Post
This post reminds of the musicians at "The Titanic"
How so ??

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-06-2017, 12:37 PM

I left South Florida because I couldnt stand all the bugs as well. Palmetto Bugs, Big ass Spiders, and the relentless swarms of mosquitos. I just felt I had to rant.