Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2000, 02:25 PM

Default big fancy plug-ins blocking the screen!

I got some downtime, so here's a whine. Not directed specifically at Digidesign, but I don't think there's a "3rd party pro tools plug-ins" forum anywhere in the world. Does anyone agree with me that plug-ins are taking up more and more screen space? Take the timeless classic that is probably part of everyone's arsenal, L1. Written before 1995 as I recall. It is relatively tiny simply because of the age in which it was written - before the era of specially-rendered graphic control panels, and perhaps when monitors were smaller. But everyone still buys it in 2000 'cos the functionality is there. Now we have Serato Pitch n Time, Wavemechanics Speed, TC Voicetools and so on that all have relatively few controls but take up TONS of screen space so you can't see your session underneath when the window is up. They are nice to look at, but they are not that functional when they're so big. We're professionals - we should be able to use 'em without acres of graphics. There's NO need for the name of the plug-in or its manufacturer to be on the plug-in really - definitely not to hog screen space! Heaven forbid Digi actually allows multiple plug-ins on screen simultaneously like "the other guys"...

Anyone agree?
Old 02-06-2000, 02:51 PM

Default Re: big fancy plug-ins blocking the screen!

I agree, cutesy graphics look cool, but aren't critical for functionality. Personally, I think it's a little ridiculous to be turning virtual knobs when the trackballs, and mice (mouses?) are more geared to sliders. (Yeah, I know, most apps with knobs will work if you slide beside them...)

My best solution is to enable the window shade option and drag the control bar somewhere innocuous while it is still open. 2nd monitors, anyone??

Bob

Old 02-06-2000, 02:52 PM

I agree, cutesy graphics look cool, but aren't critical for functionality. Personally, I think it's a little ridiculous to be turning virtual knobs when trackballs, and mice (mouses?) are more geared to sliders. (Yeah, I know, most apps with knobs will work if you slide beside them...)

My best solution is to enable the window shade option and drag the control bar somewhere innocuous while it is still open. 2nd monitors, anyone??

Bob
Old 02-06-2000, 03:25 PM

How about Channel Strip!!!!!!

Top to Bottom on my Screen!!!
Old 02-06-2000, 05:56 PM

But channel strip is chock-full of controls.

How about RESO and BRUNO? Oh my oh my.

I think Waves is pretty good, even the new ones, with the exception of UltraPitch-- there needs to be collapsable sections of the plugins.

Sound Blender is pretty good as well, the way you click between windows, but it would be nice to have the option of seeing everything at once, as well as one control section at a time.

[This message has been edited by uno1234 (edited February 06, 2000).]