Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Default Punch-in with pre-roll on LE 8

Hello, all. I am an audiobook narrator and need some guidance on recording using punch-in with a pre-roll.

Here's what I would like to be able to do:

As I'm reading in the booth and make an error, I would like to hit a button and pre-roll for 3 seconds or so, then be able to manually punch record to correct my reading error, and continue on until I make another error, then do it again.

I've looked at the QuickPunch option, but here is the kicker. I do not have a monitor in my vocal booth. I do have remote transport control with my iPhone that works great. But I am unable to see / adjust the waveform, and frankly, I don't want to. I'd like to just be able to touch a button, hear the 3-second pre-roll in my ear, and use my transport report to punch back into recording as I pick up with the text.

I hope this makes sense! I've been fiddling with this, and haven't gotten it to work yet. So I thought I would post and see if someone might have the answer while I experiment in my studio.

Many thanks for reading!!

John
iMac 3.2ghz i3, Snow Leopard, PT LE 8.0.3
Old 11-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Punch-in with pre-roll on LE 8

You should be able to do this. But you might want to consider this instead: have a pre roll but instead of manually punching in on the fly you simply find the in point and then stop. Then go into record. The pre roll gives you monitor of previously recorded and then it just goes into record at the cursor. I do this while playing guitar in the booth and it has the advantage of giving me a pre roll to get my hands back on the guitar. I often get tracks from voice talent where you can hear them removing their hands from a keyboard after a self punch, so when I hear this I request that they not do any on the fly punching and instead do this set pre roll type of punch.

I'm not sure what you've got on your iPhone (that's a cool idea!), but I use an oldish Frontier Tranzport that works great. I use it only for 10% of what it can do, but...

OTOH, these days you really can get an iPodTouch for not much more and get a $2 app that will control PTools. I love it. : )
Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Punch-in with pre-roll on LE 8

Hey, great suggestion. I practiced that a few times, and it's really pretty easy. And you're right...it's nice to have a second to cease physical motion in the booth. Very slick. Thanks so much!!

By the way, FYI, I use the "ProTransport" app for my iPhone. I also only use about 10% of the functionality, but it works and it was cheap.

Thanks again! Cheers!

- John