Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2020, 10:49 PM

Default Avid Audio Interface

Since the demise of the mBox, I have been using Komplete Audio 6. It's driving me nuts too often. Can you suggest an Avid interface that isn't extremely costly? I'm a Windows 10 user. Thanks
Old 02-15-2020, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Avid Audio Interface

Don't think you'll find a cheap one, best to go the third party route. How many I/O do you need and what's your budget. For me, on Windows, Audient at the low end and RME higher up the dollar range with probably the best Windows drivers, UAD if you absolutely have to have their plug-ins although I've read their Windows drivers are not the best.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-15-2020, 07:37 AM

People seem pretty happy with the Focusrite interfaces as well.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:26 AM

If you have a firewire connection, a used 003 Rack can be a bargain(bought mine for $90 at a pawn shop)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 AM

The Focusrite Clarett interfaces, both Thunderbolt and USB are very stable on Protools and Windows. I own the Clarett 4Pre as well as the Red 8Pre and used to own the Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt before I upgraded to the Red 8Pre. All were very stable.

I also own a Roland OctaCapture, which use occasionally for recording but mostly for measurement and system tuning. And I have an Apogee One that I use in the hotel while on the road for editing and mixing... haven't recorded anything with it yet.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 02-16-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfearr View Post
... interface that isn't extremely costly? ...
A while ago, I needed to replace a dying I/O for my portable rig. I took a chance and tried this: https://www.behringer.com/Categories...ogtrans(en|en). I was skeptical about the "B" company, but this box is all good. Nice pres/drivers/build quality. Even the headphone amp is loud & clean. No complaints. They make smaller versions, too.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume

Last edited by EGS; 02-16-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:17 PM

Focurite seems to be the company to get most good reviews. And they sometimes give away free plugins to their customers
Old 02-16-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Don't think you'll find a cheap one, best to go the third party route. How many I/O do you need and what's your budget. For me, on Windows, Audient at the low end and RME higher up the dollar range with probably the best Windows drivers, UAD if you absolutely have to have their plug-ins although I've read their Windows drivers are not the best.
The windows thunderbolt drivers are fantastic (for asio) with UAD. If you need an all in one to browse and play games as well, well then no, as their WDM drivers aren't the best. The problem is with the USB3 drivers for the twin.. go thunderbolt with a good gigabyte motherboard and you'll be fine.

I use pro tools at 32 buffer on my imac pro in bootcamp, with 6 UA devices connected, and I never, ever raise it above 32. It's amazing and absolutely solid as a rock.

RME are great interfaces and have terrific drivers for sure :)

I won't go anywhere near anything focusrite when it comes to interfaces..

Honestly on windows i'd go RME, Quantum or UA Tbolt.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Focurite seems to be the company to get most good reviews. And they sometimes give away free plugins to their customers
They are consistently in the worst performance per buffer size in windows interfaces.

The thunderbolt ones are ok though I think.

There is a massive topic for this at gearslutz, testing tons of windows interfaces at various buffer sizes vs amount of plugins.. RME always at the top, as is presonus. UAD Tbolt not far behind, but that's mitigated by the fact you can use the dsp on board for your effects monitoring.
Focusrite USB stuff right at the bottom. I don't remember where the Tbolt was but I can find it.

The RTL of their usb stuff is horrible too.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:37 AM

Reviews tend to focus on features and sound quality, not RTL numbers (which are good enough if most can record and monitor with them). Maybe their Windows drivers suck big time? I wouldn't know, everyone I know is on Mac