Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-07-2010, 05:44 PM

Default Pro Tools 9 + Mackie Control Universal " Jog wheel " .... very quick question ?

Hi all

I realize this is probably a really "old" question, but here goes.

-> with Pro Tools 9 and a Mackie Control in HUI mode, does the Jog Wheel scroll forward and back moving the time-line as it does ?

Only reason I ask is that I thought the Jog Wheel with PT did not work, but on Page 15 of the Mackie Control PT Guide is says:- " ..... Scrub/Shuttle Wheel • Rotate the wheel clockwise to scrub or shuttle forward • Rotate the wheel counterclockwise to scrub or shuttle backward "

-> so can I presume the MCU Jog Wheel works as expected [ it normally would ] in PT [ 9 ] ?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 + Mackie Control Universal " Jog wheel " .... very quick question

..... bump ...... is no-one here using a Mackie Control Universal [ MCU ] with Pro Tools ........ ?

Would really like to confirm one way or the other if the MCU Jog Wheel works as " expected " / " ususal " in PT before I lay out the $$ for it.

Thx,
Ben
Old 11-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 + Mackie Control Universal " Jog wheel " .... very quick question

Hi Ben,

My Mackie MCU jog wheel does not work in PT8 using HUI protocol.

But it does work in Reaper using Mackie protocol.....
Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 PM

Hi Hercules

Wow ..... crazy ..... because the Mackie MCU P/T Guide says it *does* ?

So I gather that means you can only run the Mackie MCU in HUI mode with P/T ? ....... or ....... does P/T also have a selectable " Mackie MCU " mode which can be used with the MCU ?

Really weird that Mackie's own P/T User / Setup guide would be so obvioulsy and blatantly wrong ?!

Ben
Old 11-15-2010, 02:10 PM

its pretty frustrating that the jog wheel doesnt work in PT 8. if it worked in PT 9 I would be so stoked!

im so used to it in nuendo that when i work in protools i feel crippled.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:27 PM

I am using a first generation Mackie Control (with the updated Universal firmware), and my jog wheel works fine. I press the scrub button once, and it scrubs back and forth fine. A second press of the scrub button puts it in "auto" mode (I'm not sure what they call it), where you scrub, and it keeps moving in that direction automatically. The third press of the button disengages the jog wheel.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGriffith View Post
I am using a first generation Mackie Control (with the updated Universal firmware), and my jog wheel works fine. I press the scrub button once, and it scrubs back and forth fine. A second press of the scrub button puts it in "auto" mode (I'm not sure what they call it), where you scrub, and it keeps moving in that direction automatically. The third press of the button disengages the jog wheel.
Well whaddaya know - it does work !! Not only that but the scrub button disables the mouse cursor when the jog wheel is active - thanks Mark

Hey Ben - I only got the quick start guide with mine (and that's a pretty useless document) - I couldn't find a decent user manual so it's been a bit of trial and error to work out the function buttons. I couldn't get the MCU to work in PT with any protocol other than HUI. In Reaper it uses Mackie protocol which means I have to restart the MCU and change protocol (10 second job).
Old 11-16-2010, 02:10 AM

Hi MarkGriffith & Hercules

So .... can you please clarify the following:-

( A ) - Press the SCRUB BUTTON and you can use the Jog Wheel to manually and progressively SCRUB back-and-forth - is this correct ?

( B ) - Press the SCRUB BUTTON [ again ] and it auto-scrubs back and forth just with one-notch-turn of the Jog Wheel in either direction - is this correct ?

( C ) - If the SCRUB BUTTON is *NOT* engaged, does the Jog Wheel progressivley move the project cursor time-line back-and-forth as you manully turn the Jog Wheel in either direction ?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 11-16-2010, 10:10 AM

A and B are correct, and yes, if the scrub button is disengaged, turning the jog wheel does nothing.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGriffith View Post
A and B are correct, and yes, if the scrub button is disengaged, turning the jog wheel does nothing.
Agreed -this is the response I am getting now too.

In addition, B gives you an automated tracking response - once you start the scroll action it will continue until you move the jog wheel again (or press the stop button). The jog wheel determines the speed (forwards or backwards) of the scrolling.

btw - I found the MCU for ProTools instruction book buried on the Mackie site - in a sub-folder of the obsolete doco section -> MCU -> ProTools guide.