Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2000, 10:55 PM

Default It\'s freeeeezing

Yes, it is cold here in Chicago... but I'm also having problems with my DP G4 freezing.

Here is my config:
DP G4 500 (gigabit ethernet)
320 MB RAM
30 GB Apple System HD
46 GB IBM Deskstar 75GXP - Audio only
AGP ATI
PCI ATI -- Dual monitors

Now, whenever I leave the computer for an extended period of time (usually 15+ mins) it freezes. It doesnt matter what program is open. My energy saver is set to "NEVER" for all settings.

I also have problems with PTLE freezing for no apparent reason while I'm working. This is unpredictable and very annoying... I save my sessions every time I change something, just being paranoid.

This is my first MAC, and I got it pretty much just for doing A/V stuff. So, I don't really know how to set up a different set of extensions just for Pro Tools - I figure this will probably solve some problems... What should I include in a PTLE set of extensions?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.. sorry for the long post.

-Dave
Old 12-10-2000, 11:34 PM

Default Re: It\'s freeeeezing

Hey Dave,

Just make a set of extensions with your base set plus your digidesign extensions.

Go to Apple menu>Control Panels> Extensions Manager and choose OS 9.x.x base from the popup menu. Then go to the File menu and choose "duplicate set". Call it "Audio Extensions" or whatever you want, scroll down the window to find the Digidesign extensions, turn them on and re-start.

Then whenever wou want to use a different set of extensions just go back to the Extensions Manager, select the set you want and re-start.

Good Luck

Bob
Old 12-11-2000, 02:09 PM

First, make sure that the energy saver extensions and control panel *are* enabled and in your system folder. If they are missing, the system will still sleep. Leave them enabled, but set them to never.

Second, try removing the second ATI graphics card.

Also, not all RAM is created equal. If you have problems still try removing all but the Apple installed RAM dimms. It is possible that one of them is not up to snuff.

Old 12-11-2000, 05:56 PM

with regards to extention removal, check out this link.. it tells you what can be trashed and why.. its a great idea to streamline your system, even if it isn't the cause of your freezes...
http://www.logicuser.net/extensions/browse.php3

best of luck!
Old 12-12-2000, 12:34 AM

One suggestion: There are known USB conflicts with G4’s as well as ProTools. Even a little USB hub or trackball extension can freeze up your entire system. Make sure you have the latest USB drivers for all you devices, especially MIDI interfaces. Disable any unused USB extentions. My DP 500 had similar freezes which no trouble shooting could cure. Eventually I did a complete drive reinitialize and reinstalled everything, OS, PT etc. It didn’t take to long and the freezes are gone. If you choose to do this, just add one extension at a time to your base set and let ProTools run awhile to check for freezes. Good Luck.

bassmac

[This message has been edited by bassmac (edited December 11, 2000).]