Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-05-2017, 07:09 PM

Default 'Save Copy In' Issue

Hi there.

I have a number PT11 sessions that I have to open in PT9 at studio for completion. There's an inconsistency in the 'save copy in' process that's causing a problem.

I think the core of the issue is in what's happening in the 'Save Session Copy' panel. I'm getting differences in the 'Items To Copy' check boxes (please see reference images below) that I can't change.

The Session2 image shows that the 'Audio Files' and 'Convert to Specified Format' check boxes are auto checked and greyed out. I can't change these and I can't work out what's causing this.

The Session3 image shows that these boxes are not auto checked. You can see that the 'Audio Files' check box is not greyed out, too.

The effect is that a 'save copy in' of Session2 produces a 'Copy of Session2' folder (where the PTF file is placed) and an 'Audio Files' subfolder (where the relevant WAV files are placed).

A 'save copy in' of Session3 only produces a PTF file in the main session folder. I'd prefer that all the 'save copy in' sessions are saved as per Session3, so that they are less complicated and all the same for the engineer/producer to work on.

I've read that what's happening with Session2 is that the session contains interleaved stereo files, but I have them in both sessions. I've also removed them as a test and it's not changed anything. All the session parameters are identical. I'm using Pro Tools 11 on Windows 7 64 bit with a Focusrite 18i20 interface.

Any one got any thoughts?

Cheers,
Matthew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT11_Session02.jpg (68.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PT11_Session03.jpg (67.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Default Re: 'Save Copy In' Issue

In 11/12, when you Save Copy, you can choose to include audio or not. When you Save As and select an older version(7>9), the audio WILL get included without you choosing. I was also confused at first, but after saving several sessions in older formats, I have not had a single issue(in fact, I'm not really sure WHY you would not want to include audio files)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-06-2017, 12:30 AM

Hi Dave.

Thanks for the reply.

So, the problem, it seems to me, is that PTs wants to include audio files automatically when you 'save copy in. As the Session2 image shows, the 'Audio Files' and 'Convert to Specified Format' check boxes are auto checked and greyed out. I can't change these and I can't work out what's causing this.

Do you know what I mean?

Cheers,
Matthew.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:18 AM

I don't know 100% but had a theory which I just tested out and seems to be true - it's having audio files in your project folder with the timebase set as ticks rather than samples. I think pre-elastic audio PT didn't allow this, you could set a track as being tick based but the file itself was always sample based. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

The only thing I can't work out is how to change it! I mean, you can change the timebase of the tracks, but the parent file in the project browser window remains the same.

I'd suggest you try a test session where you clear any tick based audio files first and see if that works, then we can further investigate a way of changing it!
Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 PM

Thanks suicune.

I'll check that out and report back.

Cheers, Matthew.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:13 PM

I tried a few tests and I'm not any closer to finding an answer, I'm afraid.

I made a copy of an offending session. I found three tracks with 'tick' time bases. I changed those to 'samples', but as you said it does not change things. The problem with the 'save copy in' process persists.

I made another copy of the offending session. I deleted the three tracks with 'tick' time bases, saved and reopened the session. However, the problem with the 'save copy in' process occurs.

I made another copy of the offending session. I deleted all extraneous tracks, and saved etc. No change.

I again made copy of the offending session. I deleted all the tracks. Nothing left in it. I saved it and went through the same process. No change.

So, that's telling me that there's something embedded in the session that's causing the problem.

I then made a new session from scratch. I created mono, stereo and master 'sample' based tracks (they are 'sample' based by default), and an instrument and a click track (they are 'tick' tracks by default). I saved and did a 'save copy in' for PT7-9. In this case, thee was no problem.

It therefore seems to me that the time base is not having any bearing on the 'save copy in' process, at least that's the evidence at my end.

Suicune, could you please make a new session from scratch and check at your end?

Cheers,
Matthew.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:48 AM

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough - it doesn't matter if your tracks are in tick or sample - it's if PT has identified the timebase of the parent audio file as being ticks. Open the project window and expand the audio files folder. In the 'Kind' column you will see the timebase definition for each audio file in your session. See the attached example screenshot.

Presumably these were defined by the track timebase at the time of recording but the important point is they DO NOT change if you subsequently change the track's timebase.

Try and see if this is consistent with the sessions you can and can't save without the audio files. My theory being that those WITH tick based audio insist on copying audio files and those with only sample based audio do not.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:45 PM

Thanks suicune. I'll have another look. Ta for the reference screenshot, too.