Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 07:50 AM

Default OSX vs XP on Macbook Pro

I used bootcamp to install XP on my Macbook Pro, and I have PT installed on both OSX and XP partitions now.

So now that I have the option of recording in either operating system...which is the most efficient to use...OSX or XP?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:51 AM

Default Re: OSX vs XP on Macbook Pro

I moved from PC to OSX a few months ago and much prefer it; smoother and more predictable performance.

If you plan to use the laptop for everyday use with Windows, keeping PTLE on OSX would mean you always have a clean system with only PTLE installed, though they should both perform well.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:03 AM

Thanks Alvin.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:03 AM

why don´t you just try for yourself?
then YOU can report back here!

www.audio-machinery.com
Old 11-11-2006, 03:52 PM

I would probably use OSX for every day stuff (no viruses), and then use a clean XP just for PT.
Let us know what you find.

SG
Old 11-12-2006, 06:18 AM

I moved over from Windows XP to OS X earlier this year, and I haven't looked back since. OS X is, for me, much better to use (although, I have found it to be a little more hungry on the RAM, but in saying that, more efficient at managing it).

So, I would personally use OS X.

Will BootCamp manage multiple installations of OS X as well? If so, I would install OS X twice (on different partitions, obviously), and use one for Pro Tools only, and the other for everything else (although, I'm sure this is possible without BootCamp).

onlyone-jc.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I used bootcamp to install XP on my Macbook Pro, and I have PT installed on both OSX and XP partitions now.

So now that I have the option of recording in either operating system...which is the most efficient to use...OSX or XP?
Would you mind doing a benchmark test? I'm considering getting a MacBook, but a key part of that decision is if Pro Tools runs significantly faster in OSX or Windows on the same hardware. The general test is to set your buffer to 1024, your CPU usage to %90, and see how many DVerbs you can have in your session before you run out of CPU time. Also Pro Tools 7 would be the one to test this with since 7 is more efficient with RTAS as well as it supports multi CPUs.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:19 PM

hey guys

i'm a pc guy,looking to become a mac guy...possibly the imac 24

I have a few questions (sorry if they're a bit lame)

1) won't be able to connect the mac to the net due to moving in with a family that aren't connected.....will I be able to download updates etc at a windows based internet café, burn to cd, then upload to mac....???

2) I have spectrasonics atmosphere and battery II for my xp computer.....they have both been registered.....will I have to buy them again in mac format?????.....the price of these two plugs may ( if I had to rebuy at full price) would probably be the deciding factor as to whether to use mac os or xp via bootcamp.......

is it worth buying an mac just to use as a better looking pc???? to not benefit from a much more streamlined os.....

for the record, my pc is dead....and I am slowly transforming from someone who used to enjoy making music....to someone who just reads about computers......my head hurts...and it's just not fun anymore.............

please help me.....aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!

thanks in advance
Old 11-15-2006, 12:03 AM

1) won't be able to connect the mac to the net due to moving in with a family that aren't connected.....will I be able to download updates etc at a windows based internet café, burn to cd, then upload to mac....???

- Yes apple provides the OS updates as single file downloads that you can burn and then bring to your mac.

2) I have spectrasonics atmosphere and battery II for my xp computer.....they have both been registered.....will I have to buy them again in mac format?????.....the price of these two plugs may ( if I had to rebuy at full price) would probably be the deciding factor as to whether to use mac os or xp via bootcamp.......

- I'm positive you don't have to rebuy Battery, and I'm %99 sure you don't have to re-buy Atmosphere.

is it worth buying an mac just to use as a better looking pc???? to not benefit from a much more streamlined os.....

- That's a matter of opinion I think, but one guarantee is that you'll be spending a few hundred dollars more for the same spec hardware if you get a Mac. In my opinion, the reason between Mac/PC are the applications that are exclusive to each platform, or if you're only comfortable using one platform and don't want to learn the other.

for the record, my pc is dead....and I am slowly transforming from someone who used to enjoy making music....to someone who just reads about computers......my head hurts...and it's just not fun anymore.............

- I hear you, so often I just want my machine to do what I want it to do, instead of being forced to waste hours trying to fix a problem, but don't expect a Mac to solve those headaches. Macs just have a completely different set of problems, and frankly I've found that OSX in general is actually considerably less stable than XP, however it has improved considerably in the last couple years.

please help me.....aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!

thanks in advance

[/QUOTE]
Old 11-15-2006, 01:47 AM

I've been investigating PT OSX/Windows Performance.

Some insights...
1. Above 512 Samples there's almost no difference if any with the performance.

2. On my rig only after using KB896256 XP managed to work flawlessly.

3. It appears USB interfaces (Mbox 2, Mbox, Mbox 2 Mini? maybe) get lower plug-in count at lower latency and I cannot use them reliably @ 128 samples. (Mbox 2).
On OS X it's impossible to get reliable playback @ 128 samples.
On XP it's a little better but not perfect.

4. Firewire Interfaces seems to work the same under both platforms.
(Although my initial tests are with M-AUDIO FW410)

That's it for now.