Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Default Re: How do you mix Superior Drummer?

Hello all,

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but although I have a somewhat substantial computer (getting a little aged now), I still find that "printing" the drums once I've got my arrangement and internal mix where I want it yields very good results. There's definitely a difference in the sound quality. It seems somewhat akin to using Audiosuite processing for some operations.

My $0.02.

Mac Mini i7 2012 4-core, 16GB RAM, 20TB storage, macOS 10.12.6
Apollo Quad, Avid Eleven Rack, Pro Tools HD 2018.1.0, UAD-2 Plug-ins, iZotope plug-ins, AIR PTIEP, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2, NI Komplete 8, Spectrasonics Trilian, Omnisphere, etc.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell1532 View Post
Albee...how do you save a custom kit? I have NY Avatar and Metal foundry; say I'm using MF. If I click the drop down on a snare, for example, I can only see the snares from MF, and not Avatar. Can you mix/match the pieces from the different expansions?
Yes, you can pull drums from different kits. But they don't replace what drums are in the default, they get added on the right side as "X drums". Then you can select to have your X drum take over the midi from the one you are replacing(which you would do if you brought in a snare from another kit to replace then one on the screen. As for presets, its the same routine as saving any plugin preset. I have presets with all the multi-track assignments done in the SD mixer, so once I finish recording/editing midi, I can switch to multi-track pretty quick(at least half the work is done)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-25-2011, 01:20 PM

Thanks, Albee. I actually checked out some of Mattias' videos from Toontrack and figured it out last night. Needless to say, I <3 SD2.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:30 AM

I like the Joe Baressi samples in S2. I have a mixer setup with adjusted mic levels on each track. I bounce the tracks and import to a drum mix template as a starting point in pro tools 10. This is what I use:
http://www.protoolsitb.com/index.php...&product_id=10
Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM

I bounce & then import the audio into a pro tools template i've created. Then adjust according to the song.

template: http://www.protoolsitb.com/index.php...&product_id=10
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 PM

I used to use SD but I'm now a Steven slate SSD4 user. I've now started routing the individual drums to an AUX where there I can EQ, compress etc. I used to record each drum to an Audio track but I found that some times I had to much hi-hat in the overheads which ment going back into the program re adjust the hihat bleed then record in again. This was a bit of a pain and time consuming, so I went to using AUX's this has proven to be a better workflow method for me so its definetly worth a try

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis