Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2017, 03:45 PM

Default Re: 5.1 layback to video file

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatzeHD View Post
I know Resolve only a little bit!
You can import your video and in the timeline may be insert your 6 channel wave and after this you can export this.
I don't know if its possible without re-compression video again?
Important, not all functions are available in the free version, but I dont know which functions!
You will be recompressing the video, but assuming you're working with DNXHD/HR or ProRes, these are designed for workflows where there are a few re-encodes happening and it's only after about 5 or so that you start to notice.

The limitations of the free version relate to resolution (UHD is the maximum) stereophonic (3D) and some of the visual effects.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfbates View Post
I'm interested in using Resolve for this, what's the workflow that people are using to do this in Resolve?
Import video, import audio, place on a timeline (ensure frame size and rate matches, and your audio output bus is wide enough), choose output settings for all your desired export formats, sit back.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Import video, import audio, place on a timeline (ensure frame size and rate matches, and your audio output bus is wide enough), choose output settings for all your desired export formats, sit back.
So are we talking manually assigning the correct channel layout for 5.1 or does it just do it automatically? I can't see anything in the Deliver section of Resolve about changing channel layouts.

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413
Old 06-27-2017, 06:17 AM

how about

a) printing inside PT, then re-arranging channel order in pt (split into mono, rearrange, drag on a 5.1 track), then bounce to QT

b) if you have to do this often, set up an extra 5.1 'laydown to video' bus.
Make sub paths in I/O for both your master output and you laydown bus. Reroute using auxes.

?

Last edited by yoerik roevens; 06-27-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:18 PM

DNXHD+ProRes is only with high bitrates( >440Mbit/s) for more re-encodings processes usefull! Lower bitrates brings a bad quality!
DNXHR is better or ideal, but use a low compression ratio with a high bitrate with big files! :)
Old 07-11-2017, 05:12 AM

So I have the attention of the Telestream team that makes Switch. They seem genuinely interested in the audio post-production workflows that we deal with. Go check out Switch 4.0 and then maybe add your input here:

https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com...ature-requests

I'm excited about Switch as an all-purpose media player in the pro studio. It can play MXF files, RF64 WAV files, all the standard surround formats. It has the potential to do a real audio re-wrap, it can also do the channel assignments we're talking about.

Check it out and let me know what you think:

https://www.telestream.net/switch/overview.htm

As long as they put all of our features into the mid-priced package.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Thanks guys. A lot to explore here.

-Pete's got it. Pro Tools makes a 5.1 file in film order and says it's in ITU/SMPTE order. You can tell right away because the center channel is playing out the right front speaker. I use QT Pro to change the assignments to actual ITU/SMPTE, and it's a quick save, sound fine, but sending it to clients makes me nervous.
So just noticing this thread; I haven't done this, so haven't had to deal with it, but: Isn't this a straight-up bug in Pro Tools? Has it been reported? And someone else asked this, but as a workaround can't you just re-order the print manually in PT and then bounce to QT?

thanks,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-11-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
but as a workaround can't you just re-order the print manually in PT and then bounce to QT?
Yes, but it's an extra step that I'm trying to avoid.

Logged the Ideascale bug here: http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/275038
Old 07-12-2017, 02:17 AM

Hi, I use this code to do so with ffmpeg:

Code:
ffmpeg -i video.mov -i audio.L.wav -i audio.R.wav -i audio.C.wav -i audio.LFE.wav -i audio.Ls.wav -i audio.Rs.wav -filter_complex "[1:a][2:a][3:a][4:a][5:a][6:a]amerge=inputs=6[aout]" -map 0:0 -c:v copy -map "[aout]" video_with_51aac.mp4
This will join a video file (already in h264 codec) and discrete multichannel wav and create aac 5.1

explanation:
ffmpeg -i video.mov -i audio.L.wav -i audio.R.wav -i audio.C.wav -i audio.LFE.wav -i audio.Ls.wav -i audio.Rs.wav
this part tells ffmpeg which files to use as input. I have previously moved in terminal to the folder so the full paths are not necessary.

-filter_complex "[1:a][2:a][3:a][4:a][5:a][6:a]amerge=inputs=6[aout]"
This part internally merges the 6 audios and calls it "aout"

-map 0:0 -c:v copy -map "[aout]"

This part defines the contents of the output file. First, 0:0 is the video stream of the video file. -c:v copy means "codec video copy", no reencoding. Secondly I map the previously merged audio.

video_with_51aac.mp4

Finally the output filename. Using the extension mp4 will force that the audio is encoded in aac by default.

Notes:
1. This assumes you don't want to reencode video, the input already in h264 quality you want to preserve. if your video is Prores or similar, leave out the -c:v copy statement and ffmpeg will reencode to h264.

2. The video stream of your particular video file may not be 0:0 like in the example. you can find out by typing ffmpeg -i video.mov and examining the result.

Hope this helps
Old 07-12-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post

Code:
ffmpeg -i video.mov -i audio.L.wav -i audio.R.wav -i audio.C.wav -i audio.LFE.wav -i audio.Ls.wav -i audio.Rs.wav -filter_complex "[1:a][2:a][3:a][4:a][5:a][6:a]amerge=inputs=6[aout]" -map 0:0 -c:v copy -map "[aout]" video_with_51aac.mp4
Is it possible to add "-c:a aac -strict -2 -b:a 856k" to ensure a high bit rate?
Does it default to 384kbps in your example ?
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060