How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2021, 01:02 PM

Default Solo safe mess

Hi,

I'm building a large mix template, and don't seem to get the solos working the way I want.

when you have all tracks going thru different sub groups (routing folders actually), and you solo safe all groups to be able to hear anything when soloing tracks... aren't you supposed to still be able to actually solo a track?

Seems to me that when all groups have solo safe on, all audio keeps playing even when I solo a track. Soloing a track only seems to mute the rest of the tracks in that group, but not any of the tracks in other groups. (for example if I solo a snare, all the other drums get muted, but everything else keeps playing)

Is this how it's supposed to work, or have I messed something up?
Old 01-08-2021, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Solo safe mess

Quote:
all tracks going thru different sub groups (routing folders actually)
the solo behaviour with old school subgroups and auxes is different from the new "folders" feature.

You don't have to solo save a folder and you can also listen "solo" the whole folder
Old 01-08-2021, 03:39 PM

I disagree with the folder solo logic especially since it's not backward compatible (re: solo safes). But, as danyg said, don't solo safe the folder like you would an aux and you'll be fine.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 01-08-2021, 10:08 PM

There are three scenarios regarding the Solo functionality and Routing Folder Tracks:
  • Soloing a Routing Folder Track treats all it Member Tracks as if they would be set to Solo-safe. All other Tracks are force-muted as usual.
  • Soloing any Track will not force-mute a Routing Folder Track, but all its Member Tracks.
  • Soloing any Track when the Routing Folder Track is set to solo-safe will treat Member Tracks of a Routing Folder Track as if they were set to solo-safe so they are not force-muted.
Keep in mind that the Solo Button of Routing Folder Track can have this special dark-yellow or gold color if the Routing Folder Track is set to Solo and any of it Member Tracks is also set to Solo. This is the same behavior as with VCA Master Tracks where its Solo button can also show this dark yellow color if the VCA Master Track and any of Slave Tracks are set to Solo.
That means, the Solo Button can have a total of four colors as you can see on the attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: png Solo Button.png (50.8 KB, 0 views)
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/