Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-30-2006, 05:39 AM

Default Clocking: SYNC I/O Vs. 192 Internal?

Can anyone report on A/B experiences with these two different clocking methods?
How dramatic is the difference when recording?
How about playback?

Thanks for the info,
Pete
Old 01-30-2006, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Clocking: SYNC I/O Vs. 192 Internal?

I did some JITTER tests several months ago using multiple clock sources. You can search for the thread if you need to read it, but unless you need the Sync IO to lock to incoming video sync, time code or picture, I'd just run the 192 internal and let it go at that.

If you've got multiple rooms that need to sync together, you can still do that by using a master clock and distributing AES to each 192, BUT the jitter of the 192 got WORSE when referenced to any external source.

Since doing this testing, we have since put each of our HD rooms to INTERNAL but still have the capability to reference to house 44.1k, house video black or 48k refd to video black. The Sync IO gives us more options and that's all!
Old 01-30-2006, 08:17 AM

I have an Apogee Big Ben and the difference is HUGE! If you have the Sync I/O I would give it a try. I'm sure that there is a significant improvement. I don't want to get into a who's box is better, I just think that the use of word clock on your A/D & D/A conversion would benefit.

Erik
Old 01-30-2006, 08:50 AM

I can't claim to have done any scientific testing, but I don't discern any difference in sound quality when using a Sync I/O or the internal clock on the 192 I/O.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:09 AM

i have a big ben as well and difference between the 192 internal vs big ben was HUGE. Tony S was over at my room and we were both blown away by how much a difference big ben made. I guess i've been using it for so long that i never gave the 192 a shot. now i know and won't do that again.

ej
Old 01-30-2006, 03:52 PM

Hmmm..... Do you find the difference to be big for recording, playback, or both.
Thanks,
Pete
Old 01-30-2006, 05:01 PM

definately on playback. haven't tested record but would imagine it makes a difference there too. do a search on DUC as I'm sure there are loads of threads re: big ben. Let's put it this way...there is a reason why so many people have one.

ej