Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-21-2003, 10:16 AM

Default Share your 002 experience

Hi All,

I'm thinking about trading in my 001 for a 002. However I'm having a tough time deciding between the rack and 002 mixing console. When you all have a chance, please share your experience and or thoughts on either device. I'm leaning towards the 002 console. Any advice you all can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Share your 002 experience

I'm chief engineer at a studio, in where space is an issue.. FOr us, the 002 was too bulky and large, and didn't lend itself to adding more faders easily.. So, we opted for the 002Rack, and then got 2 Motor Mixes, which ended up costing less than a 002.. We found Motor Mixes on ebay for about $350 a piece, and they go together much better than a 002 and a motor mix..

Hope this helps..

eric
Old 08-21-2003, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm thinking about trading in my 001 for a 002. However I'm having a tough time deciding between the rack and 002 mixing console. When you all have a chance, please share your experience and or thoughts on either device. I'm leaning towards the 002 console. Any advice you all can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I thought I couldn't live without hardware start/stop/rewind/advance keys but if you have a foot switch and use quick punch mode for recording, the 002r is very liveable. I went from a standalone HD/console recorder to the 002r and don't feel like I've sacrificed much in the way of instantaneous control. As far as the motorized faders, I'll defer to someone who has more experience with them to say if they're really useful (perhaps during a live gig?) but for home recording they looked like extra complexity and one more thing to possibly go wrong. From a hardware standpoint, I think the 002r is a solid unit and the pre-amps sound great.

As far as the software, PTle 6.1, it seems stable as long as you aren't running anything else. Given the nature of what it's trying to do (real time audio encoding as well as effects processing), it's understandable that you should give it full control. However, if you have a session open whicn is just idle - not playing, no tracks record enabled - and you open other applications such as web browsers or Mail it sometimes unexpectedly quits or gives a "communications with 002r lost" message which is pretty unforgivable. Digi still has some work to do to make this thing rock solid. Also, if you get the 002r most of the plug-ins you get are "demo only" so you are bombarded with "do you want to try this plug in free for 30 days?" messages for EACH AND EVERY demo effect when you start PTLE. Very chitzy and very annoying. There are probably easy ways to get around this but it doesn't make a good first impression. The GUI is a little cluttered (multiple floating windows...I prefer the Reason and Ableton Live approaches) but it is very powerful and lets you focus in on specific recording and processing tasks and hide the things you aren't working on.

A little lengthy, but those are my first impressions after using the 002r for 2 weeks.

cheers,

Gary
Old 08-21-2003, 11:24 PM

The 002 rocks. I am so thankful I bought it over the rack. The way it is integrated into pro-tools is much better then any third party motor mix setup (for obvious reasons). You will actually start to use automation the way it is meant to be used in mixing. The 002 faders feel almost as good as the super fast motors on an SSL. You mixes will be much more fine tuned, and they will go quicker. If you know how to mix on a motorized fader board, you will love it with LE.
AJ
Old 08-22-2003, 12:11 AM

I got 002r, running PT6.1 with Reason 2.5.. lots of background programs all the time: Entourage, iCal, Safari...even VPC6 sometimes...it is stabile as it can be. I use Yamaha 01V96 for remote control and I miss control over 32 ch 'cause I am able to control first 16ch only...but that is a problem of 01V96 remote control system I thing...it works under HUI protocol....

001 on G4 400MHz
002r on TiBook 1GHz
Old 08-22-2003, 06:48 AM

I'll agree with AJ. I bought the 002 mixer and love the way it integrates with PT. Motormixes are nice, but for most things, I don't even have to touch the computer keyboard (just adding tracks and plug ins and such). I can run most sessions with just the control surface and mouse. I am happy I bought the mixer version.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:40 AM

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

ladewd & byteme,

What about audioeric's earlier post - stating "(002) didn't lend itself to adding more faders easily."
Have either of you encountered this problem?

Old 08-22-2003, 06:23 PM

It's less of an interface problem, than a physical logistics problem.. There is no way to have another mixer board hook onto the 002.. But, the motormixes screw into each other..

And, as far as being able to run an entire session from the 002.. Do you ever name the tracks? Why just limit yourself to not using the keyboard, there are so many easy and great shortcuts.. I do a lot of things from the motormix, basic transport stuff, etc.. But, I do a lot of stuff from the keyboard naturally, but still like to have that physical fader.. The 002 is just huge in my opinion, which isn't too bad when you're just in your spare bedroom, but in the constraints of a studio, that already has a 56 channel mixing board, it just doesn't make sense to have a large 8 channel mixer as well.. And, since the fader are the same (both have 100mm faders) I didn't see the need to go with the 002.. I've used both, and just enjoyed the compactness of the MM.. But, they make both for a reason, so in my situation the 002R works best.. In yours the 002 might work best..

eric
Old 08-22-2003, 06:37 PM

I have used an 002 and the 002R with 2 Motormixes is fantastic. I prefer the 002R with Motormixes. I rarely use the keyboard and the Motormixes work great together.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:48 PM

Just picked up the rack today. Thought about the trade but in the end kept the 001 and stuck it back on my G4/466 (think of it as buying a 001 for $400 and having an extra setup). I have the 002rack hooked up to my new dual 1.25 FW800.

Intitial thoughts: 001 on the G4/466 seems to be just a shade snappier than the 002r on the dualie. By this I mean, when a Waves plug is open, either the Ren/verb or Ren/compressor, and I move a pan slider in real time while session is playing there is a little hang time to when the slider actually moves. On the 001 its smooth. Same when changing parameters in Waves. If I close the Waves plugin window the action is smooth again on the 002r. So I'd say there is a little problem with multitasking via firewire compared to PCI. To be fair, I haven't played with the buffer settings yet. Just default settings. But we're talking only a dozen tracks or so with half having plug-ins.

I like the extra routing features the 002r gives you. I can have my active monitors coming out of the monitor outs of the 002r and use the volume control and mute function. Then I have the main outs going to my Mackie VLZ which uses an Hafler amp/monitor setup. Haven't tried the preamps yet... tomorrow. Also noticed in setup the buffer rate goes as low as 64 samples. In 001 its 128. (?)

I don't use a lot of tracks (sixteen at most) with a lot of plug-ins for most of my work (solo acoustic stuff and radio spots) so I don't see a problem. I do think 001's PCI bus is faster in my intitial findings. Also it did quit a couple of times and said couldn't find 002 hardware twice within an hours time. So this concerns me a little. Haven't figured out the sequence of starting up yet as it isn't clear in the manual. Do you boot up first then turn on the 002r? Or do you turn on the rack then boot up? Also make sure you push in the power cord real hard to seat it. It kept turning on and off at first until I figured that one out. It did an automatic firmware update at launch too. I'll trash prefs and the usual tidying up tomorrow and report back.