Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 11-15-2020, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Subscription for Carbon driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
Those plugin licenses can be bought for a song on Plugin Alliance during sales. They don't add up to that much.
Not really , apparently Brainworx are the only ones you can get from PA

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 11-16-2020 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonica View Post
All the answers are already in Avid Carbon FAQ
Not really. When the new PT installer is run, who’s to say they don’t put their driver for it in at that moment? This is their proprietary flavor of AVB. And two targets appear when you find it in the network. I suppose the way to know for sure (if they don’t say) is to connect one to a system without the latest PT on it and see if they appear in the network in the same way.

Just saying I would not be best pleased if I bought a 4K box that also required repeated payments. I get the subscription model for software even if I don’t like it, but I want to insure that hardware isn’t subject to that too. Even though I know I’d not have the DSP functions with another platform (unless something utterly insane happens and Steinberg or Apple decide to support it and Avid decides to allow that, or if Avid builds a front-end software app that allows other apps to use its DSP on the way in or out - hey Avid, listening?) I wouldn’t want it to be dead weight. Especially since if I were abandoning ProTools, then it would likely be that lots of other people were for similar reasons, and the hardware would be worth a lot less.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:54 PM

Also - no frame edge sync? I mean, I don’t chase to anything these days - it’s all the video engine (shudder) or pushing Video Slave. Is that even a thing with onboard video?

Last edited by melodydetective; 11-15-2020 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Added detail
Old 11-15-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodydetective View Post
Also - no frame edge sync? I mean, I don’t chase to anything these days - it’s all the video engine (shudder) or pushing Video Slave. Is that even a thing with onboard video?
The Carbon very much looks like a product designed by Avid's Live audio group, including with AVB vs Dante and DADman from the OEM'ed DAD boxes. And clearly positioned as a music only product. All pretty confusing in a lineup with DAD OEM'ed boxes, legacy HD/DigiLink interfaces and now the Carbon. With MTRX and Carbon it really feels like there are different teams managing these products.

I worry the Carbon is what I call a 'tweener product that is jammed between others and does not get wide adoption, including here because a bunch of incompatibility issues with current Pro Tools HD and MTRX family users. 'tweener products often get defined as much as what they can't to as what they can. But hopefully Avid has done their market research here and know there is a set of quick adopters who don't care about these incompatibility issues..

The amusing thing to me is the Carbon is such an obviously copy of a UAD Apollo x8p, again another very music oriented interface. I wonder if Luna pushed Avid over the edge to get cracking on doing something here. But I like the idea of DSP hybrid as Avid have implemented it and that in concept at least challenges UAD and its always depended on DSP plugin processing. It's a pity that Avid did not realize this long ago. And sure there are lots of little things it looks like Avid did well with the Carbon box.

I'm mostly very curious how well the Carbon boxes will sell, I'd like them to do *really* well and that reinvigorate Avid's mid-range interface business, and ultimately have them come out with a half-sized Carbon box (i.e. copy the x4 next :-O) that I'd actually buy. But I wonder if that 'tweener issue will restrict sales. I'd love to hear what the folks at UAD are saying. If they are rolling around the floor laughing (Carbon price point, can't chain boxes, no Windows support, AVB vs Thunderbolt, dependency on Avid plugin ecosystem (Luna has AU native) etc.) or if they are furiously planning their next product changes. C'mon UAD folks just post your thoughts here...

Whether there should be cost reduced carbon boxes without DSP I'm not sure. That gets Avid competing with so many interfaces in a brutal market. Maybe it's easy to do and worth doing if it helped broader adoption and/or overall manufacturing volume. I'll admit there is something appealing about the hybrid model for me even if I don't really *need* DSP processing.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:05 PM

Agreed with a lot of that. Of course they designed something that only works with their stuff - but it’s not a universally “music” product if it depends on a daw that is unparalleled for tracking songs but very limited in the MIDI realm for film and TV composers. Not like they would sincerely think “composers will just use the core audio with their composing daw with none of the benefits that make up at least half of the cost of this thing and then switch over to PT for the other stuff.” Seriously, a “console” situation à la Apollo would make Carbon a universal (sorry) tool. But then all the MIDI-oriented people would use something else and the subscriptions for PT might diminish slightly. It’s never more apparent lately that (though I love a lot of PT’s “content-agnostic” approach of treating MIDI like audio philosophically) PT is an audio program with MIDI sprinkled on and the others are MIDI programs with audio sprinkled on.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:15 AM

Unfortunately the info and "answers" even in the linked FAQ are lacking and ambiguous and somewhat contradictory.
The most obvious missing info is If you purchase the interface and are a new user what is the renewal price for the bundled software license in a year ? Will it be the regular PT price or will it be between Reg and Ultimate ?

If you have Regular PT already, you get both licenses BUT when the bundled software license expires and you don't renew it but keep your regular license plan going , do you then loose the additional plugins in the bundled license ?

If you currently have Ultimate on the renewable update plan (like I do ), But Carbon can't do surround (which honestly I don't need)...... Will I (when it's time to renew Jan 30 ) be able to just convert my Ultimate perpetual and update plan to a the REG PT Perpetual license and update plan at the Reg update renew fee ??? Obviously "all the answers" are not in that FAQ pdf

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-17-2020, 11:07 AM

This is a serious question. Does it have driver support for Catalina? If so, I wonder when and if drivers will be available for Big Sur? I'm now the not-so-proud owner of an Elevenbrick, sold as new until June 2019, which has no support for Catalina from the same year. Oddly enough, my interfaces from MOTU and UAD (2012 and 2015) are fully supported under Catalina.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnprice View Post
This is a serious question. Does it have driver support for Catalina? If so, I wonder when and if drivers will be available for Big Sur?
Avid|Carbon doesn't need a driver because AVB is supported natively by Mac OS (and this is why Avid|Carbon can't be used on Windows).

Check out today's Avid Webinar (https://youtu.be/SVyftefPy1E) - at some point during the webinar they explain that Avid|Carbon is plug-and-play because Mac OS support of AVB.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:07 PM

Also somewhere in a carbon intro video it look like there were 2 core audio drivers listed in AudioMIDI setup that would let you run another DAW like Logic at the same time as Protools mixing the audio streams thru the FPGA processor on the Carbon Interface
Old 11-18-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonica View Post
Avid|Carbon doesn't need a driver because AVB is supported natively by Mac OS (and this is why Avid|Carbon can't be used on Windows.
Thanks for posting the link - I’ll watch it. I just missed the webinar today. I asked the question and as I typed it, the guy said “looks like we are out of questions.” Funny.

Anyway, because I don’t know what class-compliance can accomplish in the AVB setting - here’s my question. It’s a specific question that would leave out any “it should work” or “that’s what plug and play means” stuff that could be twisted to cause problems in the future:

If I didn’t install any Avid software ever - ever - would I still be able to use this device (without its DSP, of course) with any other platform as long as AVB is supported by the OS?

Because what I don’t know about AVB is - if a Mac goes out and polls a Carbon device, does the device indicate that it’s going to present as two drivers? Because it doesn’t come from the MacOS as far as I can tell, so is it the case that the Carbon will tell the Mac all it needs to know?

In any event they aren’t saying it’s great for composers - they are saying it’s great for people who want to record bands with low latency in ProTools. So maybe it’s not the box for me.

The other question for me would be, does the fact that it doesn’t do frame-edge sync have any bearing if one uses a system where ProTools (or the audio clock from the Carbon) is the master, such as one using digital picture (via the video engine or MMC)?