Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-31-2012, 03:21 AM

Default mono like sound from spdif out (GA-EX58-UD3R) to spdif in (Omni )

I have just installed Omni + Native on my mobo but Im only getting a mono like sound from the GA-EX58-UD3R spdif out.
Im listening through the HP of Omni.

Inside Pro Tools HD 10.0.1 the stereo image sounds fine.

Any ideads ?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:38 AM

Default Re: mono like sound from spdif out (GA-EX58-UD3R) to spdif in (Omni )

Nevermind. I found out. I had to set s/pdif 1-2 to stereo and pan hard left-right under Hardware->Mixer in Pro Tools 10 HD.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 AM

It would be very practical to make the hardware mixer avalible also outside Pro Tools. Like it is for the Mbox Pro.

One more question. With direct monitoring through the mbox pro mixer I had the option to lower the general output level of the mix
but keep the input level at full 0dB. This is very nice when tracking vocals. I can turn up the HP output to compensate and then the vocals
really stands out in the mix while tracking.

I have not figured out how to do this on the Omni.
Any ideas ?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 AM

Not sure about the second question, but the first one is doable.

However you set up the mixer function, it will retain those settings in the unit, whether Protools is open or not, or even whether the Omni is hooked up to the computer or not.

So if you set the Spidf to monitor through the mixer, it stays that way until you change it again. It will basically function as a standalone D/A converter.

I'm using mine like that right now because I don't have a Mac Pro to hook up my HD Native card. So I configured my Omni on my local dealer's Mac Pro and set up the Mixer how I wanted.

So now I have a cheap interface with a spidf (the NI Komplete Audio 6) hooked up to my Imac, and a spidf cable to the Omni, and I can monitor through the Omni, with all monitor functions available (mute, CR volume and HP volume, etc.). So in my case the Omni is not hooked up to anything other than the spidf cables going back and forth to my Komplete Audio 6.

I also have it configured to do A/D conversion going in to my interface. I can only do one or the other at a time using the ALT button, the way I've got it configured. If you want details, let me know.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:03 AM

Thanks. I managed to setup that myself. I go s/pdif out from my pc into Omnis s/pdif. This way I can listen to mediaplayer, youtube, etc through my Omni.

However I still wonder how I can lower the general output volume to the headphones without lowering the input level for vocals. As I said this was possible with the Mbox Pro mixer and is very nice when tracking. Its much easier to hear the vocals while tracking this way.

I found out I can create a master fader and use the cue out to output 9-10, and output all the tracks to output 9-10
and then lower the master fader. But this seems like one or two steps to many. THere must be an easier way like with the Mbox Pro ?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:00 PM

Ok. The solution is much easier than i first thought.
All i have to do is to pull down the master fader and all tracks assigned to output
1-2 gets lower level, and the input level is not affected. Perfect.
So simple i did not think of it.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:32 PM

Chrisdee,

Take your time and get familiar with the Omni. That little box really can do a lot. And it really sounds great.

The other thing I wanted to pass on to you since there was some discussion (maybe on another thread) about the Omni firmware was the latest revision. Mine shipped with v 1.6. I updated to v 2.10 and the Digitest tells me that 2.10 is the latest. I have no loud fan issues. If you don't have the latest firmware, you could encounter the fan noise.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 03-31-2012, 04:50 PM

Yes, I updated to the latest 2.10 driver aswell. When the fan is set to auto there is no fan noise issue anymore! I can barely hear it if i press my ear into the unit.

This is great for us who track in the same room as the omni.

Actually the fan issue wasnt that bad at version 2.6 either but now its perfect.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Nevermind. I found out. I had to set s/pdif 1-2 to stereo and pan hard left-right under Hardware->Mixer in Pro Tools 10 HD.

I'm going to ask a stupid question here.. the mixer function under hardware, is that a Omni only thing? I have an 8x8x8 and do not have any mixer options under hardware... (or anywhere else that I can find).

I'm feeling a bit dense today so this is probably something obvious..

Thanks.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:10 AM

The mixer is an Omni only thing. I have an Omni and an HD I/O 16x16 and only the omni shows in the mixer.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .