Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 08-12-2014, 02:18 PM

Default Retrieving audio files

Ok here it goes, I was tracking drums on 6 songs for an artist. I got my set up all going on song a. When I went to track song b I imported session data from song a drum tracks. When importing the audio files also went to song b. after editing the drum tracks on song b I selected unused audio files and accidentally hit delete instead of remove from session. I know, no backup and delete, bad combination. I saved the session on song b and reopened song a and the drums were gone. No files in the audio files folder......
I think they were deleted as unused tracks when I was cleaning up song b because they were imported with the session data and the source of those audio files were back to a.
Is it possible to delete files from another session when cleaning up another song?
And how can I retrieve, if possible the missing tracks? They are not in the audio files folder, I did the full data check. But they are greyed and italicized in the audio files bar on the right side of the edit window.
Please help
Thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Retrieving audio files

When you delete within Pro Tools the files are gone.

I'm going to beet that you didn't start a new session folder just a new session inside song a so a and b were using the same audio files folder. That is why b deleted a's audio.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-12-2014, 03:44 PM

Yes but the new tracks recorded in song b went to the audio files folder in song b not song a.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:51 PM

I did start a new session for song b and imported the drum tracks session data from song a. With that came the audio files from a into b
Old 08-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure13 View Post
I did start a new session for song b and imported the drum tracks session data from song a. With that came the audio files from a into b
Are you SURE? I ask because its possible that while session B plays audio that "came from" session A, that audio may NOT exist in the session B audio files folder(the session may reference files from the session A audio files folder). There is a setting in prefs for "always copy files on import"(or something to that effect). In any case, have you gone to the trash bin to see if its full of deleted audio files? If so, restore them(and cross your fingers). Its also worth opening some of the Auto-Backup sessions

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-07-2016, 08:15 PM

Ok, old post but I JUST DID THE SAME STUPID THING. HELP!!!! does anyone know how to save audio files.

I recorded drums for a song. Started a new session and used the previous song as a template. So I imported everything in and then deleted the old audio. Well low and behold, it deleted the audio from the first sessions audio folder errrrrrrrr.

Why does Pro Tools have this stupid option anyways.