Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-06-2003, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Best Laptops for PTLE

AAARGGHH!!!!
Do you know how long it takes to read this thread???

I'm still confused though.
Which manufacturer and which processor and which model is best today (and maybe tomorrow)?

I simply want the best performer.
I'm considering dumping my Desktop PC and only use a Laptop with my 002 setup.
So, I need a Laptop that is competing performance-wise with a new Desktop PC.
I still don't get it, why do the Centrino models outperform the P4's at lower clock frequencies?

Guys? Allen? Please?

Best Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 12-06-2003, 01:43 PM

Hello. Centrino is a new beast unto itself so the clock speed on it does not equal the regular Pentium clock speeds. Much the same way Mac Power PC CPU's are about half of Intel's for example. About the only thing we can figure out that is a major difference is the 1 MB of L2 cache. Read the entire thread, it is worth it. Here is what I can remember to paraphrase.

Centrino's have been the top performers so far. They either match or outperform an AMD or Intel Desktop. We are talking 32+15 or so on the Dave C. However for that it seems you need to go with a 1.6 Ghz or higher Centrino. The lower (and much cheaper) 1.3 and 1.4 Ghz Centrino's I believe still do a very respectable 32+7 or so, which the AMD laptops do also. The AMD's have been very overlooked here. They do 32+5or7 on the Dave C, but they don't have the Centrino's much quieter CPU, longer battery life, etc. But I still think they are still an option, because as always AMD is a lot cheaper.

Things to look out in the future for are, AMD's 64 bit chip on a laptop. If they can keep it quiet and cool, it will be very cool and hot if you know what I mean. Newer Centrino's. Better, faster, cooler, whatever. All up in the air but we need to keep an eye on, from about May or June of next year, maybe sooner.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:48 PM

Quote:
AAARGGHH!!!!
Do you know how long it takes to read this thread???

I'm still confused though.
Which manufacturer and which processor and which model is best today (and maybe tomorrow)?

I simply want the best performer.
I'm considering dumping my Desktop PC and only use a Laptop with my 002 setup.
So, I need a Laptop that is competing performance-wise with a new Desktop PC.
I still don't get it, why do the Centrino models outperform the P4's at lower clock frequencies?

Guys? Allen? Please?

Best Regards,
John
Hey John,
So far it is the Acer 600 series with the Centrino setup Pentium M 1.4Ghz or above and the new Dell Inspiron 8600 Pentium M. The faster the better and yes it really makes a difference in processor speeds and hard drive speeds. The Dell comes with ATA100 7200rpm drives now as an option.
The Dell starts at 1299.00 for the Pentium M 1.4Ghz unit. I'd call them directly and work from that price instead of using their website which seems mixed up on prices to me.
When it comes to performance results I really don't care about the WHY. All I care about is how it performs and how much more I have to pay for this performance.
Centrino technology smokes right now with PTLE if configured correctly.
Good luck,
Allen
Old 12-06-2003, 02:54 PM

Thanks, guys!

Well, it seems it's the Dell 8600 1,7 GHz that is my first choice right now.
Do we need as much RAM on these Centrino models as we do on Desktops?
I have 1GB RAM right now and I'm quite satisfied with that but if I buy the Dell, there's a price difference of over 320$ between the 512MB and 1024MB configuration.

Also, has anyone tried running multiple Firewire drives from a laptop with a 002?

Best Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 12-06-2003, 09:21 PM

I'm currently using an 8600 1.7 with 512 RAM, and it works beautifully. Had some probs with another 1.7 Centrino machine with 1gb of RAM, so not all are created equal in the eyes of PT.
As far as tracking, plugs, etc... go with the FASTEST processor you can afford. It will pay off.

Ram seems to affect the speed at which things are done, like edits and screen redraws, fades, and generally makes your sysem run "snappier" but 512 works fine with PT and I could get 32+15 on the Dave-C (to the internal 7200rpm drive) with hardly any system tweaks at all.

I'm sure there are other decent performing Centrinos out there, but I would definitely recommend the Dell!
Old 12-06-2003, 09:39 PM

Gtrguy4, which video card did you get? Also, have you by any chance checked your IRQ addresses. I'm just wondering because I have a new 8500 that I'm trying to return because of performance issues that might be related to 7 items being loaded on one address--IRQ 11.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2003, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Dell Inspiron 8600 Centrino 1.4Ghz Pentium M 1299.99

Call them for this price. Their website is wacky!

Allen
I also noticed there is something strange about Dell's price calculator on the website. You don't always get the same options. I noticed sometimes you get the option of 1 or 3 years service/warranty. Other times you get the mandatory 3 years. So, I have had trouble getting the same price on different visits.

But the 8600 model does look to be nice, and in a good price range. Having an IBM T41 model with at 1.6 Centrino, I would also strongly recommend the Centrino to those looking for laptops. Besides being a good CPU for audio performance, it looks to have less issues with BTD, as compared to my desktop.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:23 AM

Hi, Once again I'd like to make it clear I'm a complete doofus about this stuff. Just to make sure I understand correctly, before I hit the buy it now button, the stock 8600 base model w/the 1.4 processor, 512 meg memory, 40 gig 4200 RPM HD, and NVIDIA 5200 video card will do fine right out of the box, no upgrades or tweaking etc.? This set up will be replacing my wife's old Roland vs880. Thanks for the info and your patience.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:27 AM

gtrguy4

Is your Dell quiet enough that you could track acoustic instruments in the same room with it?

If it is quiet enough, the Dell looks like the best option for PT LE at the moment. The Dell seems to be the only Centrino machine with a decent size screen.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:26 AM

Well, I can't say how well a 1.4ghz with a 4200rpm drive will do. I sprung for the 7200rpm drive, which probably makes a big difference, but there are other lappys out there getting good performance with 4200 drive (Mac Powerbooks, other Centrinos..)

The 8600 is quiet, but any laptop gets some noise when the fan kicks in. The 8600 has a lot of room in the case, so it dissipates heat pretty well, and the fan doesn't make too much noise. The ABS Zensation I had sounded like a fanboat when it's fan kicked in!

If you are going for zero noise, you don't want to be sitting right beside ANY laptop when the fan is running.

The Vidcard I got was the 64mb invidia Gforce. I won't be playing any games or anything, so it will do just fine. Really good looking screen for a laptop!.