Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-06-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Pro Tools - Pentium M or Centrino?

Pro Tools - Pentium M or Centrino?

So far i've read of nice DaveC results with Centrino systems - 32+16
The laptop i have i mind is NOT a Centrino - due to a 3rd party wireless 11b/g card.
The manufacturer has decided to include the 11g standard. I know that the Centrino's wireless is only 11b.

My question is...

Will my pentium M system get the same DaveC results as those reported by the Centrino?

What other disadvantages are ther between a PM and Centrino system?

Want to be sure before i purchase the laptop.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools - Pentium M or Centrino?

Quote:
I know that the Centrino's wireless is only 11b.
that was true a while ago. but for at least 2-3 years now they have been including the b/g version also. The Intel 2200 pro minipci (and it's garbage, don't get it!)
Quote:
Will my pentium M system get the same DaveC results as those reported by the Centrino?
Yes, regardless if you have an official 'centrino' based system, or a pentium m cpu with generic wireless card, it will do no difference to protools performance. Also note, you should ALWAYS dissable any wireless cards when working with protools, they have been known to cause many problems!
Quote:
What other disadvantages are ther between a PM and Centrino system?
No disadvantages. 'centrino' is intel's marketed brand for 'all intel' components. Unfortunately the wireless cards they make are garbage. Your better off getting a pentium M computer, and adding a atheros a/b/g card to the machine. Much better wireless distance and speed.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:58 AM

thanks for your reply.
So as long as it's a Centrino, i wont have any problems with PT whatsoever? Firewire chipset?

What if it's just a Pentium M? I'm worried that the Firewire chipset may not be compatible?

Pls advise..
Old 12-06-2005, 07:00 AM

does the chipset matter?

i need to check if it's intel 855GM or 915GM?

what are the supported chipsets?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 AM

Quote:
thanks for your reply.
So as long as it's a Centrino, i wont have any problems with PT whatsoever?
yes, but see next answer...
Quote:
Firewire chipset?
intel 'centrino' doesn't make a 1394 (firewire) chipset. If a notebook has firewire, it will have to implement a 3rd party solution. as long as the firewire chipset is by Texas Instruments, your in the clear.

Quote:
What if it's just a Pentium M? I'm worried that the Firewire chipset may not be compatible?
centrino/pentium M, either way... the firewire will differ. Just make sure it's a TI (texas instruments) and your ok...
Old 12-06-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
i need to check if it's intel 855GM or 915GM?
they will both work, but 915 is more current, so I'd go with that. My laptop has the 915GM and runs protools m-powered flawless...