Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2015, 11:34 AM

Default Struggling with Avid Account Issues (hoping to buy Crossgrade/Upgrade) [resolved]

Hi folks. I apologize upfront if the info I need is in other threads or if I am unclear below. I'm am completely at my wit's-end today.

My old PPC mac just died so I want to buy the ProTools crossgrade to go from PT LE 7.4.2 to PT 11 on my 2008 Mac Pro. Buying the software and loading it (hopefully) won't be a problem, but I can't even get that far.

The trouble is that on my Avid account, it only lists my Ignition Pack under My Products, and not the PT software itself. I know I registered my LE and MBox2Pro back in 2008, so I can't figure out what's up or how to fix it. When I try to add it in, it asks for a System ID, but I'm not even sure if that existed when I bought it because Avid didn't own DigiDesign yet.

My concern is buying the crossgrade but not being able to authenticate it because Avid doesn't think I own LE 7.4.2.

PLEASE HELP.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Struggling with Avid Account Issues (hoping to buy Crossgrade/Upgrade)

You can't run 11 on a G5.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Struggling with Avid Account Issues (hoping to buy Crossgrade/Upgrade)

New tower is not actually a G5. It's a 2008 Mac Pro running OSX.8.5.

When I see the old silver towers my brain says G5. Sorry I was unclear. First post will be edited.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:51 AM

Start here.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...m-Requirements

Old 03-01-2015, 11:55 AM

Thanks. I've read that, and I'm pretty sure it's all good re: the newer machine and PT 11.

My trouble is in getting my Avid account to acknowledge that I bought PT 7.4.2 so I can buy the crossgrade confident that Avid will let me use it.

I have my serial for it, but I don't have the "system ID" that Avid.com is asking me for. They're so opaque when it comes to support that I don't know what to do.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:58 AM

That 2008 machine isn't technically supported but will work ok depending on how much power you need from it.

I'll see if I can get you some help with the serial issue, stand by.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:03 PM

Thanks!

Between losing my old system and a few other rough situations this week/weekend, my problem-solving skills are way worse than usual.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Admin Emeritus

I'll send you a PM with your Mbox 2 Pro serial number, in case you can't read it on the back or bottom of your interface. Hardware registration does not show up in your Avid account, and Pro Tools LE software registration or authorization code is not relevant to the upgrade.

That serial number and an iLok 2 (the rectangular one, not the original key shaped iLok) are what is required to do that specific upgrade.

The Pro Tools LE to Pro Tools 11/12 Crossgrade is no longer available on the Avid store, but can still be purchased from any Avid authorized dealer that still has it in stock.

A google search for:
Avid Pro Tools 11 Crossgrade from Pro Tools LE
...found some dealers that do still have it, like this for example:

Avid Pro Tools 11 and Pro Tools 12 Crossgrade from Pro Tools LE (activation card)

No system ID is required, you need a user account at www.iLok.com and an iLok 2, and an Avid account. You created 3 separate Avid accounts during previous registrations, the earthlink account where you registered your Mbox 2, another one when you received your free upgrade to Pro Tools LE 7.4, and the avid account where you registered your Ignition Pack. You can use whichever of those Avid accounts for your upgrade activation that you want to use, preferably the one that uses the email address you have access to.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:33 AM

Ordering today! Very excited. Thanks for your help.

I'll let you know how it all shakes out.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Struggling with Avid Account Issues (hoping to buy Crossgrade/Upgrade) [resolved]

Got my PT crossgrade and downloaded and installed it without a problem! Thanks for your guidance.

I am coming across one thing that I could still use help on-- a few friends have told me that for the time-being it may be worthwhile to have both 10 and 11 on my system. I have them both loaded in, but when I try to boot up 10 I have an issue:

The previous owner of this computer had loads of PT10 plug-ins for which I do not have authorization. When I try to open the program there is a huge laundry list of dialogue boxes where I hit "quit" every time. Then at some point the program crashes.

How do I get rid of all those plug-ins BEFORE I launch the program so I don't have to deal with those dialogue boxes? I'd still love to use the plug-ins that came with my new download, but want to rid myself of all the old stuff that I can't use.