Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2016, 09:38 AM

Default New S6L and Venue software wish list

After some time touring on monitors with the S6L, I've come up with a few new features I'd like to see in future software updates. I also put these on IdeaScale, but since there doesn't seem to be much activity there, I'm putting them here too.

New Events
-Solo a mix or channel via GPI/Footswitch/Function Key. Especially on the S6L with its Soft Key section, this would be especially handy.
-Level change to a channel or mix via GPI/Footswitch/Function Key. My specific ideas is to allow a performer to remote control their own mix level via 2 footswitches, one that goes up in 1dB increments and one that goes down by 1dB. This could also serve as a boost for solos, etc.
-Turn on/off individual plug-ins via GPI/Footswitch/Function Key. I know this can be done in Snapshots, but I'd like to have individual control without having to navigate to the Plug-in page.

Custom Favorite Layout
-I want to be able to see a combination of Inputs and Outputs on the Favorites screen, as opposed to having to tap back and forth between the two.
-It would be nice to be able to add blank spaces between channels in the Favorites view so I can group things in a way that is quick to recognize.

Soft Key Labels
-Add the ability to label Mute Groups and Function Keys on the Soft Key screen. Tape labels on a shiny new console with a perfectly good screen are so passe. And you don't want to push the wrong mute group key at the wrong time because you remembered the wrong assignment.

As you can see, I'm a fan of customization and remote control. Let me know if any of these functions already exist and I've missed them. And go vote for them on IdeaScale.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Avid

Default Re: New S6L and Venue software wish list

Quote:
-Level change to a channel or mix via GPI/Footswitch/Function Key. My specific ideas is to allow a performer to remote control their own mix level via 2 footswitches, one that goes up in 1dB increments and one that goes down by 1dB. This could also serve as a boost for solos, etc.
IMHO this is something to be done via dedicated iPad/iPhone/Android/etc monitoring app. Yes, it's not available at the moment, but still - it's the most proper kind of solution for this.

Quote:
Custom Favorite Layout
-I want to be able to see a combination of Inputs and Outputs on the Favorites screen, as opposed to having to tap back and forth between the two.
-It would be nice to be able to add blank spaces between channels in the Favorites view so I can group things in a way that is quick to recognize.
Good question in general regarding Favorites vs User layout[s]. User layout can have spaces, but this doesn't really make sense for favorites. Maybe Favorites should be somehow united with User Layouts.... Any thoughts?

Quote:
Soft Key Labels
-Add the ability to label Mute Groups and Function Keys on the Soft Key screen. Tape labels on a shiny new console with a perfectly good screen are so passe. And you don't want to push the wrong mute group key at the wrong time because you remembered the wrong assignment.
Will automatic labeling via Event name work for you? I.e. if some Event has a function key as a trigger, then Event's name will serve as a name for the function key.

But it's not a solution for Mute Groups anyway.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentyn View Post
IMHO this is something to be done via dedicated iPad/iPhone/Android/etc monitoring app. Yes, it's not available at the moment, but still - it's the most proper kind of solution for this.
I'm looking for something that is very simple, and hands free, like for a singing guitar player who can't reach their IEM belt pack mid-show. I've done something similar before with a volume pedal sending MIDI signals to control an Aux master fader on a PM5D, but it was kind of a kludge to make it work. Triggers from a dual switch pedal (like the Boss FS-6) would be simple and elegant.

Quote:
Good question in general regarding Favorites vs User layout[s]. User layout can have spaces, but this doesn't really make sense for favorites. Maybe Favorites should be somehow united with User Layouts.... Any thoughts?
I can see that working. I'm currently not using the Custom Layout, so it could be used in the background to arrange the Favorites screen. However, if you introduce multiple Custom Layouts, that might change.

Quote:
Will automatic labeling via Event name work for you? I.e. if some Event has a function key as a trigger, then Event's name will serve as a name for the function key.

But it's not a solution for Mute Groups anyway.
I like that as a solution for the function keys, but would still want Mute Group labeling at some point. I'm not in front of a console right now, but if I remember correctly, there are 2 lines in the Mute Group Screen that both say the same thing, one in red and one in white. Could one of those be user write-able?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:08 AM
Avid

Quote:
-Solo a mix or channel via GPI/Footswitch/Function Key. Especially on the S6L with its Soft Key section, this would be especially handy.
Agreed! This would allow you to do some cool workflows, such as flip a mix to faders, plus pull up a custom layout for that mix with one button press.

Quote:
You can use a GPIO trigger to hit a snapshot that scopes ONLY one fader, this would be doable.

Quote:
-Turn on/off individual plug-ins via GPI/Footswitch/Function Key. I know this can be done in Snapshots, but I'd like to have individual control without having to navigate to the Plug-in page.
Agreed!

Quote:
Custom Favorite Layout
Also Agreed

Quote:
Soft Key Labels
Those default names are there for a reason, so you can change them! Coming soon.

[email protected]
Old 07-07-2016, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion about the snapshots triggering a single fader move. I set it up and my artist is psyched. She used the pedal a good bit on the first night with it.

The setup is this: I Recall Safed everything on the console except one Aux master fader. I created a bunch of snapshots with the fader at -16 dB through +12 dB, and start at the 0 dB point. From a dual footswitch Boss FS-6, the A switch connects to GPI-1 and the B switch to GPI-2. GPI-1 goes recalls the previous snapshot,and GPI-2 advances one.

Of course, this locks you out of using snapshots for anything else, but in my case that's OK.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Avid

You don't have to recall safe everything else to make that work.

Just scope ONLY the single aux master you want in the snapshot, and only select Fader.

In the snapshot scope,
  1. double click the 'none' button next to the fader strips, to select NO strips of any type.
  1. click the aux masters you wish to scope (both left and right if it's a stereo pair).
  1. select "fader" in the scope section.

This will recall ONLY the fader level of that single fader that you've scoped when you hit this snapshot.
I attached a screenshot of what it should look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 8.43.23 PM.jpg (97.5 KB, 0 views)

[email protected]
Old 07-11-2016, 09:41 AM

Thanks Ryan. I always forget that the fader view on the snapshot page serves a different function than the one on the other pages.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:48 PM

You could still use a normal song-per snapshot list in conjunction with this, the challenge would be that when the artist triggers their snapshot it will screw up your order, so simply hitting next is out, but midi driven snapshot recall could be a way around, perhaps a Qlab front-end. I realize you didn't ask for this idea, but I like solving problems, even when they may not exist yet
Old 08-17-2016, 06:10 PM

Channel libraries and something like aliases, actors, or players would be epically awesome. Us theater people are excited for the new updates.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2016, 05:02 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Channel libraries and something like aliases, actors, or players would be epically awesome. Us theater people are excited for the new updates.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Could you please explain a bit more?