Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-11-2021, 12:21 PM

Default Screen freezes. Still.

Well, crap. (Heckuva a way to start a post!) STILL getting those “every 30 second” screen freezes. Win 10 20H2 build, PT Ultimate 2021.3, Nvidia Quadro FX1800 card (which I’ll swap out for an M2000 at some point when I’m less annoyed, although it does this with every video card I’ve ever tried.) I’ve gotten rid of OneDrive....Avid Link, Avid Cloud services and Avid reporting are gone, and disk indexing is unchecked on all drives.Even the keyboard response occasionally has about a 1-2 second delay in it. I’m not sure if I should be looking at a glitch in the Windows update (it only does this in Pro Tools) or something stealing a resource every 30 seconds, and Pro Tools not liking it? I’ve seen this kind of behavior when I accidentally left a blank disc in the dvd burner, but it’s empty. This is a major work-flow killer, and I’m running out of colorful metaphors. Sorry to keep beating this to death, but there’s gotta be SOMETHING silly I’m missing here. (Shoot, the ancient MAC at one of my freelance jobs with PT10.3.8 is smooth as silk.) Ideas?
Thanks!
Old 04-11-2021, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Screen freezes. Still.

Hmmm, its quite smooth here(same version of Windows and PT). You say it chokes every 30 seconds? That would seem like something is trying to "phone home" on the internet so disconnecting would probably be my best suggestion for further testing. If that helps, then I would run a suite of anti-BS programs(like Malwarebytes, CCleaner and one of the free anti-virus programs) and see if they flag anything. Once the system reports clean, I would then uninstall or disable those programs so they don't run in the background

BTW, even if the computer is not connected, its still possible to get bad stuff via any external drive if anyone brings a session to you

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-11-2021, 01:41 PM

The only protection I run is Windows Defender. I’m not sure if that’s “tweakable” or not. But agreed, it looks like SOMETHING is happening every 30 seconds that interrupts the display. We can eliminate the “outside influence” option at this point. Everything I’ve ever done has originated here. This is a real head-scratcher!
Old 04-11-2021, 02:12 PM

I got to digging around in Device Mangler, and there were options on the net adapter to allow the computer to turn the device off to save power, just like usb power management. And I have noticed that when my ‘net connection was interrupted, the display would freeze while looking for a ‘net signal. So I unchecked all that. Other question. It has onboard Bluetooth, which I will NEVER use. Did I see somewhere once that it’s best to disable Bluetooth?
Old 04-11-2021, 04:40 PM

Yes, disable Bluetooth in BIOS, Wireless too if you use an Ethernet connection.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-12-2021, 10:26 AM

I disabled onboard LAN since I use a 3rd party network card, disabled “wake on lan,” then opened Pro Tools, played a session, and while it was playing, disabled the pci-e net card. No freezing for about 3 minutes (when I originally said it froze every 30 seconds, I meant to say every 10, by the way.) So, I looked at the manufacturers website for an up to date net card driver, and there isn’t one. Path of least resistance, since I do occasionally need to stream stuff off the ‘net and record it, was to order a new net card. I’ve had net cards die slowly and create problems before, and I think I might have narrowed it down to this one being the issue.
I’m running latencymon, but gotta be honest, I’m not quite sure what I’m looking for, since I never had to troubleshoot on this level before. I’m anxious to see if a new $15 net card with more current drivers solves the problem.

Last edited by sw rec; 04-20-2021 at 06:50 PM.