Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-10-2003, 11:48 AM

Default Ok, so you need to equip a post facility....

Hi all.
I've decided to jump in the deep end and gear up to do a one stop shop for film post here at our humble studio. We''d like to go ahead and make the investment in the gear that would allow us to take on small indy/student projects over the next year or so. we're not trying to pay any bills doing post work but rather just get some skills together for possible futrure work. The studio is booked pretty soilid with music clients for the most part.
We've got 2 Mix3 systems in two CRooms and a large tracking space.
I've lurked for the past couple years and followed some of the post threades re: video capture (fuse, canopus, Virtual VTR etc.) but would love to hear from those in the know on what is the best and hopefully least expensive alternative.
I'd like to be able to work to a largish screen not quick time. suggestions on a monitor or screen? Projection?
I'd also like to experiment with Surround at the same time so(we built with 5.1 in mind for the future. monitoring/controller/ Panner suggestions would be helpful as well.
we have a C24 controller in the main room. Dual 867 and single 400 in the "B" room.
Also have DA98's available.

The plan is to get in and start doing some head scratching with the gear..That, along with a couple of community college film classes and we're off and running. (music is a given here, it's the other stuff..that you folks do in the post world is the unknown...)

Many more questions to follow. I appreciate any input you can give.
Thanks much.
craig Zarkos
Proxy Music
Creative Mobile
Old 12-10-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Ok, so you need to equip a post facility....

For picture I would go with Ignighter for editing. DV out the fire wire port looks better and would be good to mix to but the latency sync issues make it a pain for editing. Having done a bunch of indi projects I would sugest that you set some standards for delivery from them (2 pops, TC, window burn, etc) and stick to it. and I would require "locked" reels and reenforce to them that locked meens NO changes. That was a little OT but I found that schools seem to teach no standards to these new filmakers and all those standards they weren't told about make a big difference in how smooth post goes.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:00 PM

Hi cajon, I suggest picking up a copy of Ashley Shepard's book: "Pro Tools for video, film and multimedia". There's many ways to go here. Even though you mentioned not wanting to work on quicktime, you may want to look at datavideo for DV decoding. I think it's the DAC100 model. They just came out with the DAC-10. You can simply output your QT - component to a monitor of your choice. Cost effective, but true the latency might be an issue. I have heard good things about Virtual VTR also. I'm actually setting up a somewhat similar studio as well. After looking and reading about monitors, I'm not sure if I would go with a Plasma. 2 frame delay, burn-in, etc... I'm looking at a Sony 42' LCD right now, seems to be the clearest picture, even against DLP though that could just be the store I was looking at...
Old 12-11-2003, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if I would go with a Plasma. 2 frame delay
I've used Panasonic and NEC plasma monitors. The Panasonics are NFG. Clients do not want to hear "Yes it looks out of sync on that but trust me this little CRT I'm spotting to is ok." They will simply take their business to where they can see a big screen and the mix is in sync with the picture.

The NECs are better in this regard, but they are not flawless.

Unless you are doing post for HD material, which would not have the 2 frame delay since it's not being deinterlaced or having its aspect ratio converted, then a plasma would be fine.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:34 PM

Don't forget to get a DA-88, as this is the mnost widely accepted format for layback tapes.
You'll also want to get some kind of proper synchsystem. For PT's that would be a USD, as well as a black burst generator.

You'll also want to build some foley boxes,as well as have a pretty decent sized, neutral sounding room for ADR.

Buy a couple of sound Effects libraries as well. That's gonna cost a couple of grand, easily.

Get the post-confor,m package, in case you need to do confroms. As well as a timecode DAT machine, as most stuff is loaded from DAT's.

Proper, accurate metering and monitoring will be required as well. Dorroughs are the most widely used. If any of your mixes go over broadcast specs, you'll get them back.

Mark

Living the dream.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:09 AM

OK Shamless plug here.....

You need a TC Electronic 6000. This is the best surround effects, mastering, and manupulation tool ever made IMHO. Check em out at www.TCElectronic.com

If you decide that you indeed need one..... I have one for sell fully loaded. Check it out on the stuff for sell page here in the DUC.

I have been using this box for 5.1 and 2mix stuff for a while now and love it. I am only selling cus I just lost my money partner.

jai
Old 12-12-2003, 01:34 PM

I would check with the folks you are delivering to. Though I hear that DA88 is still a post mix delivery format in common use, that is not true for dilivery for the stage (at least in the Bay Area and quite a lot of places in LA). PT sessions are pretty universally accepted or OMF's. I bought a DA78 for one project that had it as a delivery format. I've used it twice more in the last 2 years and only one was for delivery. Again I would check on the TC DAT. They are very expensive and I have yet to have need of one. Plus they are a doomed format, I suspect in the next few years it will be compleatly orphaned. You were talking about Indi and Student films so having a good MD player might also be a good choice. I would go a little easy on the CD library and get a portable recording rig. You will find recording the sounds you need is often faster that searching for something not quite right and then futzing it to work. Also the library that you will be building will be better and more valuble that a collection of CD's everyone else has. I would get something like the Sound Ideas 6000 series since you are starting from scratch and it's a good foundation and there will always be things you can't record and have to go to libraries for. But I would get one general set and buy what you need when you can't record it. A good quiet DEAD room can work well for Foley and ADR. ADR is a pain but Foley you will use constantly to record all kinds of stuff that isn't in your library. Metering is important IF your mixing and much less so if your editing and preping to mix at a diferent location (or another room). Oh and a Foley room doesn't have to be all that big, providing it's dead enough. Ours is around 8'X8' and a number of top Foley artists have worked it and liked it. We didn't put in "pits" after visiting ONE STEP UP (a VERY good Foley outfit) and seeing them work with out them. You can't do big things in a small room but 90% can be done there.

Quote:
Don't forget to get a DA-88, as this is the mnost widely accepted format for layback tapes.
You'll also want to get some kind of proper synchsystem. For PT's that would be a USD, as well as a black burst generator.

You'll also want to build some foley boxes,as well as have a pretty decent sized, neutral sounding room for ADR.

Buy a couple of sound Effects libraries as well. That's gonna cost a couple of grand, easily.

Get the post-confor,m package, in case you need to do confroms. As well as a timecode DAT machine, as most stuff is loaded from DAT's.

Proper, accurate metering and monitoring will be required as well. Dorroughs are the most widely used. If any of your mixes go over broadcast specs, you'll get them back.

Mark

Old 12-12-2003, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I would check with the folks you are delivering to. Though I hear that DA88 is still a post mix delivery format in common use, that is not true for dilivery for the stage (at least in the Bay Area and quite a lot of places in LA). PT sessions are pretty universally accepted or OMF's.

However, being a "one-stop shop" usually menas they will be delivering final mixes to be laid baqck to a master.

Living the dream.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:22 AM

Noiz2,
E-mail me when you get a chance.
Thanks
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:49 AM

True, good point.

Quote:

However, being a "one-stop shop" usually menas they will be delivering final mixes to be laid baqck to a master.