Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2001, 09:17 PM

Default ebay

Silly me ... has for the first time taken a look at ebay. Wow, lot's of equipement at the prices I've always wanted them to be at.
This route would make my project studio list look much more ... do-able! I'm mostly thinking about stuff like DA-88, DAT recorder, and Yamaha 02R or 01V.
Does DUC's "Buy & Sell" fair as well?

Questions:
1) Are any of you HAPPY ebayer's???

2) Is the pieace of gear still working?

3) Is there an even better site I should be looking at?

4) Lastly, anything special thing to watch out for using a site like ebay to purchase audio gear?

Thanks,
spc
Old 03-07-2001, 10:17 PM

Default Re: ebay

Yes
I'm a happy buyer... your bigest wory will be non working gear or mis leading info in the add. I saw an add the other day that had 4.1 PT software as all you need for pro audio editing...however it included no hardware or manuals and never mentioned authorization disks, I don;t think it was cracked but I don't think the seller had any Idea what he was selling and prob. didn't have any Auth. disks.
for stuff that I realy want to check out I try to buy from a local seler and pick it up personaly - and it saves shipping.
SK
Old 03-07-2001, 11:08 PM

I'm a VERY happy ebuyer! I got a lot of stuff from ebay and all of them came exactly as described. Sometimes you need to pay attention to the add, e-mail the seller or ask other people to make sure that you're buying what you want. I sold a few items on ebay too and everthing came out ok! So, happy biddings!

------------------
Think Diferente!
Old 03-08-2001, 02:44 AM

Has anybody had bad experiences with Ebay? Ive bid on a few items unsuccessfully, but am always nervous. It seems like it would be really easy to rip somebody off. The insurance is up to $200. Does paypal have insurance I wonder?

Old 03-08-2001, 04:46 AM

Bad experience at ebay as a seller here. ebay makes it look like, at a glance, you are selling the item for a one time fee, of $6.50 paid to ebay. They actually charge you a one time fee and a % of the final selling price. A HEFTY PERCENT OF THE FINAL SELLING PRICE. I have only used them once and am no ebay expert, by any means. I read everything carefully and put an item on ebay, I never agreed to any of the charges they charged me. It cost me $50.00 to sell an $800.00 item that had a $100.00 profit margin; to me that is a bit hefty on the ol' fee. ebay must be making millions of dollars a day and eating up sellers profit margins, BIG TIME. Ca ching $$$ for good ol' ebay while I got the shaft. Far as I am concerned ebay is a ripp off for sellers. I must be missing something here as a lot of folks I know, swear by ebay selling.

BTW: All good experiences both buying and selling on the DUC... and its free.
Old 03-08-2001, 07:11 AM

Of course only on ebay, in the heat of bidding can you sell a used item for the same price you buy it on sale new. I really wonder how stupid somebody can be to by something for more used than new?
It happens though. I got an esi 2000 for $499, then later that same day I saw one that was bidded up to $550. Ive saw a jv 1010 bidded up to $450. Thats how much those units sell for NEW.
Old 03-08-2001, 08:33 AM

EBay Is A Fantastic Source Of Used Equipment...But Keep In Mind, It Is USED...Some Sellers Do Not Word Their Ads Correct, And Mislead Buyers As To The Piece's True Condition...

EBay Offers IEscrow Which Is A Good Way Of Assuring Your Purchases...And ALWAYS Look At The Sellers Profile...

Hope This Helps...

Chris Prinzivalli
Old 03-08-2001, 08:53 AM

I have bought and sold on ebay several times without any significant problems. Use common sense.

-Know the product your buying.
-Ask as much as you want about the item.
-Check the feedback profile.
-Do not tolerate any non-sense or monkey business.
Old 03-08-2001, 09:16 AM

I am very happy with my eBay experiences as both a buyer and a seller. I have been involved in over 80 transactions and haven't had a single problem (knock on wood). Just pay attention to feedback ratings and you should be fine. I won't usually buy an expensive item from someone unless they have a large amount of positive feedback.
Old 03-08-2001, 03:57 PM

Thank you ALL so much for your speedy responces!
I now need to go over the details of buying on ebay's site ... ie: insurance, shipping/delivery options, payment options, etc...

BTW, the DUC's Buy & Sell seems like some nice deals come along every now and then but it also seems that you may not be as "covered" (insurance, picture of product and security) as ebay appears to have these areas covered. I could be wrong though.

spc