Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-15-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Getting away from the computer while recording...

How do you get away from the computer while recording?

It seems that any computer powerful enough to run ProTools LE with minimal latency must be a fairly robust computer, which means lots of component and processor heat, which means lots of cooling fans, which means lots of noise.

If using an 002 control surface, it is tethered to the computer via Firewire400, which has a maximum distance limitation of 4.5m or 14 feet... which seems barely enough to get out of the room. Adding firewire repeaters seems risky, since Avid/Digidesign appears to be so finicky as to what equipment is Digi-certified... ie, there is only ONE firewire card that is actually approved and certified for ProTools.

I've never self-recorded to a computer before. I imagine that I might need to monitor the digital/onscreen equivalent of VU meters while recording, so at least the control surface and the LCD screen must be with me in the isolation booth, right?

And if this is true, than the DVI interface (monitor) distance limitation is even shorter, at about 2 meters (6 feet).

So, I'm wondering how you get away from the computer while recording?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Getting away from the computer while recording...

Get your levels and then take your wireless keyboard with you (in another room maybe) and hit record..
Old 12-15-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Getting away from the computer while recording

I use this. Works great.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:33 PM

The cheapest solution would be to build a small isolation box for your computer. I might try that one myself.

Mbox 3

Saffire Pro 40

27" Imac i7 3.4 Ghz 16gb OSX 10.8.3

MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 4gb OSX 10.8.3

Dynaudio Acoustics BM5a MkII

EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head
EVH 5150 III 4x12 Cabinet
Ernie Ball Music Man Axis
Gibson Les Paul Standard
EVH Peavey Wolfgang
Custom EVH Frankenstrat

How To Play The Guitar
Old 12-15-2005, 02:51 PM

Jungleman... thanks, I'd have NEVER heard of that control were it not for you mentioning it.

And Craigo, I like your idea on building an isolation box for the cpu as well. The only problem I can foresee is sufficient ventilation! Baffling the air inlets and outlets seems like it would require a lot of space to design correctly in order to prevent the fans from burning out as they try to "suck" air through the more restrictive path that a baffled enclosure might impose.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:21 PM

I record vocals with the PC tower 6 feet away and have no noise issues. The tower has low-noise fans and a Zalmann cpu cooler. I have the tower in a 3/4" oak-plywood box, lined with Auralex sheetblock and 2" foam on the sides. The front is open and the back is open but faces a corner and blows past a large gobo. The Tranzport looks to be a great tool. I use a VGA splitter which takes the video from the PC and allows it to go to 2 monitors. I use a 25' VGA cable to a second monitor at my keyboard/drum station and it works great(for under $40). BTW, a VGA "Y" cable sucks. There are also a few low-noise PC cases available. I saw on at CompUSA that had insulated panels all around for no resonance. A bit pricey at $169 but might be a problem solver for you.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-17-2005, 09:33 AM

Jungleman,

Does thew wireless transport work through a wall? I was thinking to setup my workstation in one room (control room if you wish), and the amps and mics in the adjacent room, which is acoustically treated. Would the wirelss unit work through a brick (or sheet rock) wall, and reach the workstation say 25 feet away?
3X 500GB 7,200 SATA DRIVES
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 12-17-2005, 10:05 AM

j20056,

The Tranzport works through walls and 25 feet shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure it will work through a brick wall though.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:29 AM

You could also setup the PC in a seperate room, and get some extension cables for the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Bastiaan