Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2012, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Discontinued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There is lots of logistics to handle in a sale/aquisition and Avid has supply, manufacturing and distribution pipelines flowing with inventory they are likely flushing out. Who knows if InMusic even wants all the current product line. And even if they did its in both parties best interest for Avid to keep up the M-Audio web sites until those assets transfer over to InMusic--assuming InMusic took on support of existing customers. Who knows. I certainly would not buy anything from M-Audio without seeing what is really going on. OTOH I think getting rid of this business was well overdue, the crowded low end part of the market is not where Avid was goot at or should have been playing.
Correct, but keeping the customers in the loop could benefit all parties a lot.

Quote:
And the simple/obvious answer for folks who want/need a better supported/real Pro Tools story with better recent OS compatibility stories right now is to upgrade to Pro Tools 10. Otherwise you just have to sit and wait and hope inMusic and avid have a plan here. But if you cannot wait...Pro Tools 10.
Exactly the effect, avid was hoping for. Not happening here.

Quote:
And the jury may be out on wether the 003 has a future with Pro Tools 11 or not.
Sorry, but the judge has already stated the verdict:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...t_new_software
Old 09-19-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooksound View Post
Sorry, but the judge has already stated the verdict:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...t_new_software
I've heard from a few different reliable sources this may not be true.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-19-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
The Fast track is a dead as a zombie product can be, at least as an Avid product, who knows what InMusic will do with it.
Ah, I see reports of the death of the Avid Fast Track have been greatly exaggerated....

From the "Avid Divests Consumer Businesses and Streamlines Operations" press release:
"....Avid will continue to develop and sell its industry-leading Pro Tools® line of software and hardware, as well as associated I/O devices including Mbox and Fast Track."

http://www.avid.com/US/press-room/Av...nes-Operations

Since it was Carlos who first mentioned the Fast Track here recently, and assuming that's what he uses, we can all rest assured that the production of his next golden guitar-toned release will not be impeded by Avid dropping their stellar support of his Fast Track (whatever)....

- orPro
Old 09-20-2012, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I've heard from a few different reliable sources this may not be true.
OK, that just adds to the confusion. Good for the customers involved. Still glad I didn't buy the 003 though.

Quote:
...buuut, there's still a link to the M-Audio WEB page on avid.com and the M-Audio WEB page still says "avid" in the headline.
...and today they are both removed and InMusic is on the footer of the M-Audio WEB page. A sign of progress!?

For those who cares: I'm on my fifth M-Audio thingie and I still use four of them. They have run flawlessly over time with Logic Silver (PC), Cubase SL 2/SL 3/Studio 4 and Pro Tools MP 8/9. One fact is that M-Audio products seems to be heading for the very tight entry/mid market - slowly losing the Pro Tools MP selling point, which make them stand out from the crowd.

avid has finally chosen side and is now being trimmed for the pro market. This includes the pro studios using M-Box/Pro Tools Express or Pro Tools 10 on mid range third party HW One, or both, of these two product groups are up next and will be discontinued by avid in the next two to three years max. Why? On short terms: Pro Tools 11 comes in a few months and the 64 bit challenge will be huge. Both in convincing the customers to update and bug wise. Think of the (non HD/HDX) Pro Tools 11 platform diversity. On long terms: With the newly reduced headcount, avid will be even more forced to focus on the pro market. That's why avid is off my radar and the main reason why I do not put my time and money on any of these horses. HD/HDX is where Pro Tools is really strong and the only field where avid can truly claim their unique selling point: "The industry standard". There's no real competition, making avid the leader in this area for many many years.

Despite walking in the mist at the moment, our M-Audio set-ups still provides at least a couple of years of good service.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Despite walking in the mist at the moment, our M-Audio set-ups still provides at least a couple of years of good service.
My Delta66 card & OMNI box has worked 100% for over a decade, and I can see it outlasting PCI slots...
Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 PM

New imacs and mac mini no protools m-powered
Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orPro slooTools View Post
Ah, I see reports of the death of the Avid Fast Track have been greatly exaggerated....

From the "Avid Divests Consumer Businesses and Streamlines Operations" press release:
"....Avid will continue to develop and sell its industry-leading Pro Tools® line of software and hardware, as well as associated I/O devices including Mbox and Fast Track."

http://www.avid.com/US/press-room/Av...nes-Operations

Since it was Carlos who first mentioned the Fast Track here recently, and assuming that's what he uses, we can all rest assured that the production of his next golden guitar-toned release will not be impeded by Avid dropping their stellar support of his Fast Track (whatever)....

- orPro
I just read this. I didn't realize I live right down the street from InMusic. Wow small world. It's 5 miles from my house. Maybe I can bring my Maudio stuff directly to them for repair, should they ever break. I know it's off topic but I own products from a bunch of these companies they own.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:19 AM

New Macs. Still no news from avid regarding a update for m-powered
Old 11-02-2012, 12:53 PM

That's because MP is discontinued. Sorry but time to move on. MP line got pulled out with PT 10. And M-Audio is no longer a product own by Avid. M-powered was made to go with M-Audio products. No M-Audio = No M-powered. Pro tools 10 non HD works just fine even with M-audio products.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM

well guys i have a better solution

I was able to buy a current imac quad 2.5, 4gb ram, 500 gb 7200 rpm hd for a very good price (way better for audio production than the new base model mac that is coming out right now which lacks a superdrive and a good hd) and i found a copy of osx snow leopard so i could run a proper version of protools m-powered on it with my lightbridge profire and im glad to say everything is working great

so if anyone is wondering what is a good way of running protools m-powered there might be a way around it for u as well