How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-10-2009, 05:24 AM

Default Re: The Best Studio Headphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha]-[acksaw View Post
I'm sure lots of it is prefrence. Like others have said, I would never mix in headphones, so I don't really worrie about flat freq respons. I maily want something that has nice big lows and clear highs with nothing extra added to the mid range.

I'm using the AudioTechinca ATH-M40fs. They sound great when monitoring a recording through them. What I enjoy most is that the low end isn't lost. I can play along to a full drum kit and acoustic guitar, and still hear nice definition in a bass guitar that I'm playing. I also own a pair of Sony phones, and the bass is null plus they have a very exagerated upper midrange, which drives me nutz!

I think i paid about $75 for the M40fs. I really enjoy them!
I also have a pair of the M40fs's and you need to get replacement earpads and headpads, they DO NOT LAST.
luckily AT sells then on their web site.

I still say the Sennheiser's are the best for tracking
Old 04-10-2009, 08:11 PM

IMHO: the ATH-ANC7, by Audio-Technica.

However, it all boils down to what sounds good to you.

Be sure to check specs before you buy.

The ATH--ANC7 response bandwidth goes from 10 to 25000 Hz.

Although the normal hearing range for humans is around 20 to 20,000 hertz, (and we are all losing our hearing to some degree, due to age or just too much noise), I've been blown away at the range of instruments and sounds I can hear when using these phones to do a rough mix at night (to not disturb my family - as you apparently are trying to avoid as well).

But in the end, you can't beat a great pair of near-field studio monitor speakers to complete your mix
PreSonus DigiMAX FS
Old 04-11-2009, 05:16 PM

I've got the Sony MDR-V6's and they are amazing. Sad part is I had to get replacement pads. But they have an incredible range, 5-30000 if I remember. They are cheaper than some that were posted too, but I haven't checked the price in a while.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssiumatic View Post
of course, mixing isnt recommended with headphones at all, but sometimes you got to make some compromises. AKG and Sony would be good candidates.
This is very true.
But most people live in places where the walls are paper thin,
and since people in major cities live on top of each other in shoe boxed apartments,

People have no choice.

Like where I live, I can hear neighbors do private acts.
And I can hear every word in conversation.
its how most apartments are these days, because companies and cities
that build apartments are way too cheap to put some sort of insulation in the walls.

As far as Headphones,
I use the SONY - MDR-7506's

Also, remember that everyone's ears are different.
So just go with what you think is best for YOUR ears and mix.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM

I'm another fan of the Sony MDR-7506. I'll put them on occasionally when I'm doing a mixdown and they tend to reveal very subtle nuances that I otherwise wouldn't hear through my monitors. Also the odd time where I have to mix live to 2-track, they isolate pretty good.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 AM

HD280s here. Good for low leakage tracking and pretty flat. Never bleed into the Marshalls.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 PM

My ranking of the headphones here:

1) Denon AH-D2000 (no isolation but incredible comfort and I love the bass-rich tone...must be tried to be believed)

2) Audio technica ATH-M50 (these are great tracking cans and all-rounders, except they get sweaty)

3) Sennheiser HD600 (again no isolation but great comfort)

4) Beyer DT770 pro 80 ohm (Best isolation, hyped response, great for vocal tracking)

5) Ultrasone Proline 750 (excellent isolation, deep bass, not great sound but good for checking mixes)

6) AKG K701 (far, far too little bass mars an otherwise impressive sound, also quite uncomfortable)

7) Sennheiser HD280 (great isolation and solid all-rounder, gets sweaty, but a fine way to outfit a studio)

8) Sony 7506 (godawful sound, but some people still want them)

9) AKG K240/K140 etc. (These lower end AKGs are so miserably bright and uncomfy etc. I have no idea how they sell any...I get them as freebies and literally give them to charity)

I've also tried and returned the Extreme Isolation headphones...they actually had very poor isolation and an awful tone. The MoreMe brand also sucks (although you're not supposed to insult the old hack who hangs around online forums and sells them). I do recommend having vic firth 22db hearing protector cans around, you can slip earbuds under them for the best isolation possible.

Also. there are audiophool nutcases who recommend mods be done to headphones...ignore them; you are a professional.

Learn to solder as any of these break within a year and you can usually fix them.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 AM

I'v got two closed headphones. I mostly use them for tracking vocals.
AKG K271 MK II and BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro

I really like the DT770 Pro. They are very comfortable and sound great. Some say they color the bass sound a bit, but i think its only for the better.

The AKG K271 MK II are supposed to be the most accurate, but I personally think they sound a bit flat. They also put more pressure on my head/ears so I cant use them as long as the DT 770 Pro, without getting tired.

Anyway, both are really great, but as many already has said, dont forget to also use monitors when mixing.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:17 AM

I really like my HD25's -I paid about £90 for them two years ago. maybe they go for less now? I did originaly buy them for location mixing and DJ-ing

www.leegrainge.com

PT8 LE DVTKII
G5 1.8 DUAL
3GB RAM
Mackie HUI
NEVE Pre's

Last edited by leegraingesound; 05-15-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Stupidly didn't read the initial post properly.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 AM

Of course this is all determined by application first, preference second....

All this discussion of the Sony MDR-V600's and no mention of the MDR-V900's.

I have both, and the 900's are WAY better. Makes the 600's seem unusable in comparison of sound quality.

Problem with these things (Both), is that the bleed is horrible.

The standard level vocalists want in my studio was making these horrible for tracking, as the bleed was being picked up by the mic and I had to gate pretty hard. Not great for the subtle nuances one wants in fine vocal editing.... just added a ton of time.

My new FAVORITE for 'tracking monitoring': VIC FIRTHS

OH MY GOSH!!!!!

The DEADEST headphone on the planet, at least as far as I've come across.

Not the greatest sound mind you, but who cares. Headphones in my opinion are designed for monitoring...... and isolation..... not mixing.

If you're trying to mix on headphones, and I know some do with decent results, then the Vics are not the ticket. But if you want to avoid bleed all together.... that's where I'm at....

:) Just a couple cents.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB