Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2008, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Digi - Please Consider EuCon

Actually WB Post Prod Facilities is heavily invested in AMS. I work off the lot doing post for Worldwide Marketing. We are a very busy dept. responsible for finishing materials for domestic and international feature marketing. As the world is quickly absorbing HD and 5.1 we need the flexibility to deliver in many formats at a pretty rapid pace.
Unfortunately, we don't really "tie into " the lot, and we certainly don't have the budgets for or needs for, Harrison or AMS consoles. Euphonix make a great product that suits are needs well at a great price point. At a rough glance on the Euphonix website you can see that they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 180 or more installations around the world in post applications.. I consider that a lot. And I believe their new products are only going to make that number grow.
That being said, I am not here as a cheerleader for Euphonix. I am here to hopefully, with the help of others that share my needs, to let Digi know that they are a great tool in our arsenal but could be even greater. It seems like the only real complaint I ever have about PT is that I can't control it like others with Digi hardware. I here great stuff about the things you can do, but their hardware just won't cut it in the world that I work in. It seems like most manufacturers now have a HUI emulation thing going on, but c'mon. HUI is SO 80's Let's just take it to the next level!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 AM

From my experience, Digidesign has greatly improved over the last few years in implementing customer requests. When you look at the DUC, there are dozens if not hundreds of different feature requests every month. If you've had any experience writing code, you know that one little change can screw things up all over the place all the while having to keep up with third party hardware, OS, new formats, codecs and and plug-in support. No easy task by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, there are many things I would like to see digidesign implement, including a more straight forward bussing system, better monitor and surround downmix options and yes, in an ideal world, manufacturers would standarize and communicate, but just look at the BluRay / HDVD wars and you'll see how easy that is to accomplish.

Digi control surfaces started out in the rather cheezy prosumer market (I still have a ProControl), but the Icon is a vast improvement over previous control surfaces and they are bound to make it better. Just stay in touch with your regional Digidesign Post reps who seem to be listening, taking notes and doing a pretty good job of it all things considered.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX
Old 02-02-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:

i love PTs simplicity and bussing..

You're joking, right?

It's bussing is the worst.
There's is no way to automate bus sends, without using the auxes.
Every simple, automated digital console has a grid based bussing system. Somethign severely lacking in PT's.

There's no quick and simple way to see what is being sent, where.

well no??? i didnt mean them as the same thing because they are in the same sentence.., my mistake!! i wouldnt have known that anyway.., if i want to automate bussing i use other apps.., i thought it a short coming of mine in not understanding PT.., but thanks for clearing that up

it supports what i said.., what is par for the course in most DAWS is out of the race in ProTools

i love protools simplicity.., something like cubase studio has more functionality.., but somehow protools seems more straight forward, a certain simplicity.
(despite doing the best evr sound desighn at my uni, and you know know nothing that is in the real world) .., i do the best i can. sometimes its a little fearful to post here, everyone is great but i feel i might put my foot in my mouth

Manis
Are there workstations with automated bussing?- I thought that was a console monopoly...

just asking...

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
From my experience, Digidesign has greatly improved over the last few years in implementing customer requests.
I disagree.
Quote:
If you've had any experience writing code, you know that one little change can screw things up all over the place all the while having to keep up with third party hardware, OS, new formats, codecs and and plug-in support. No easy task by any stretch of the imagination.
Which is why I plead with them to fix bugs before adding features. I have reported bugs that have yet to be fixed. This is the basis for my disagreement. When all the bugs I have reported are fixed, I will reconsider my position.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:24 PM

disagree.

Quote:
If you've had any experience writing code, you know that one little change can screw things up all over the place all the while having to keep up with third party hardware, OS, new formats, codecs and and plug-in support. No easy task by any stretch of the imagination.

Which is why I plead with them to fix bugs before adding features. I have reported bugs that have yet to be fixed. This is the basis for my disagreement. When all the bugs I have reported are fixed, I will reconsider my position.

i can write a little code and this is a dam good point.., hard for people to REALLY understand the problems that people from separate disciplines are up against day to day.., when two worlds collide!

digi have offered seminars and such, just as a matter of better understanding.., for people like you/us.., its hard though when other apps have all the things one needs that are missing from PT (though I wouldn't know i only read it here, for me PT works like a charm) but one must take into account when PT was first coded years ago.., hard coded.., others (apps) had the benefit of hindsight and the needs of the present and could allow for those needs in R and D.

no, not joking

time out!!??

M:)

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 02-03-2008, 07:35 PM

Kind of like mixing? :

"If you've had any experience writing code, you know that one little change can screw things up all over the place"

Had to say it

The difference is I HAVE to make my client happy with his/hers changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 AM

I know, that this is boring, but I suggested Digi building a device similar to MC years ago, and I do it every year, even more often...
We need a device, which could have fully programmable buttons and knobs, track pad and jog wheel and all of this located around keyboard so we could do editing work faster and in more efficient way.
As I know, that there is also a need for a device, which could controll 2 or more systems from one "chair". I am not talking about controlling other DAWs from competitors. This is about 2 or more PT systems.

It would be great, if EuroCon could be implemented into PT...
unles it could not be supporting Digi's competitors...

Kuba
Old 02-04-2008, 02:29 PM

in the light of the fact that PT was programmed probably more than 20 years ago.., when HTML was a star and CSS (cascading style sheets) were not even a twinkle in the eye of its developer.., what you guys are asking for is something that 'looks like protools, feels like protools, smells like protools.., but isn't protools'.., maybe they can develop a whole new DAW.., with a PT face.., but then.., we would all be beta testing for digi again.., looks like.., in the light of computer programming.., what you guys are asking is a long long way in the future.., as was mentioned.., it is small steps, as there must be millions of lines of code in PT by now.., all balancing and talking what ever lines of code talk to each other about.., millions of little ants all working hard for the paradigm.

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 02-05-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:

Are there workstations with automated bussing?- I thought that was a console monopoly...

just asking...
Does the Reaper routing matrix compare ? Screenshot

Perhaps that's an overview Protools could implement in a future version.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 PM

Utilizing 2 Pro Tools on one Icon is cute but not really horsepower. You can't have both on the surface at the same time, nor create custom layouts. No monitoring capabilities and no snapshots, especially bus assignments, since you can't switch buses on a 192 without hits. Digi is never going to accept Eucon. Just like Digidesign never went a long with a AES31. As a friend of mine once said "One day AES is going to be a giant DIGIDESIGN booth and a couple of mic vendors". If Digi ever committed itself to making a real console, instead of a Fisher Price Icon it would be a great relief to many. But as long as larger format consoles are small potatoes as far as volume sales, I see no incentive for them to attempt building a console that would give us the best of both worlds. Rumers of using the DSP of the Pro Tools system as the core for monitoring have never materialized and as time goes on it seems like it never will. So I will continue to use HUI on a Euphonix to give me the best of both worlds.