Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2000, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Sony DAT\'s any good?

Can you sync the SV-3800 or DA-40 up to a sequencer? TY
Old 08-15-2000, 05:44 PM

Yo, in general, PROsumer or CONfessional dats are awful. I've been using the Sony PCM-7040 for 3.5 years with 0 problems. I use it 5 days a week, it chases code perfectly, sounds good (as long as I dither to 16bits), and gives me a record safety locked to code. It costs about $8000 USD. Ugh. The next best (better?) bet is the new Trashcan (sic) DA78,
it chases code, 24bit storage, and it costs under $3k in the US. AND you get 6 extra tracks for FREE! Next question.....
Old 08-15-2000, 05:49 PM

To Neato - can't really sync a non-TC dat with anthing, unless you print code on track 2 and use it as the master code machine. The Tascam DA-60mkII is a good machine, at$4500.00, and it chases TC, and sounds OK. The Tascam DA-45 sounds REALLY good, is 24bit, and costs 2Gs, but no TC. See my above post for your solution. Or check out Yamaha's D24 mo 8trk recorder....
Old 08-16-2000, 04:15 AM

The issue must be with the lower end sonys. We have lots of PCM 7030's and 7040's running 6 days a week, and we have had no problems either, I think they are a great machine. I find the D/A sounds OK too.
Old 08-16-2000, 05:28 AM

I have a Sony D7 portable DAT recorder which I use for location stereo recording. It works really well and has given no problems. I copy to PT using the digital output but even the built in DACs sound o.k. I believe this model has been replaced by the D8 or even more recent models.
Old 08-16-2000, 01:14 PM

We've been using Sony 7010s,and 7030s for over seven years. Great machines. And in my industry, Dat is far from a dying format. Now 1/4" is another story. There are only a few location soundpeople out there who are not recording on Dat.
As for portable... I love my HHB portaDat. About $2,500 w/o timecode and above $4k with.
Old 08-17-2000, 03:02 PM

I also have a 7040 TC-DAT - works great until now (and it had to work quite some time) - but: let me get this straight: I had a Tascam DA-60-MkII - I never had one single equipment failing so often (and if i would i rather change my profession). In 4 years 7 repairs now... i just could not stand it any more and used it for some time as a "TC-formating" device - but even this simple job was too difficult for more than about 50 tapes - and the next repairment was about to happen...
Old 08-19-2000, 07:39 AM

for what it's worth... We have used just about every DAT and Timecode DAT on the market today... The only thing that really sucks about DATS in general are the converters....

Record and Playback EVERYTHING you do to DAT
DIGITALLY with EXTERNAL converters...

Cheers

Geo

[This message has been edited by georgia (edited August 19, 2000).]

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 08-20-2000, 12:39 AM

Have to agree with Georgia, but.....it depends on what your tolerance is.

Someone mentioned that the Sony 70xx series converters are good. Well, I dunno. They sound pretty dark to me. I mean, I actually like the "mellowing out" they do, but if I want it to sound like the signal I put in....

External converters.

And I agree about reliability. The Sony 70xx series are way overpriced, but they last forever.

Then again, my old Tascam DA30 (bought in 1990) is still cranking - only two times in the shop (albeit a good shop - Eddie Ciletti). Still original heads. Can't believe it.

Converters? I go digital in anyways.

dc
Old 08-20-2000, 03:25 AM

Just to clafify, I was refering to the D/A, i don't use the A/D (I use an AD8k), but I often monitor thru the day, and it doesn't sound all that different than the AD8k outs, although I have a/b'd them that well, I just figure most peoples convertors arn't even as good as the PCM7030, so I might as well get used to how it sound in 16bit.

Mesh
www.songzu.com