Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 AM

Default Getting that punchy, pumping kick sound

Used Boom to create a drum track. Then, bounced out each drum part to separate audio tracks...kick, snare, hi hat, etc. So each part on its own track, just like live miked drums.

The song is more in the electronica dance mode, and I want to get that tight, punchy deep kick sound so often part of these kinds of tracks. Before I bounced to audio, I tweaked the kick sound within Boom pretty heavily...tuned it down, chose the one I liked best, etc.

Then on the audio kick, I've used EQ and compression to get it to sound right. When soloed it sounds just right. But with the full mix, it just doesn't stand out like I want it to. It isn't volume either, as I've tried fooling with that. I just can't put my finger on what it is. Clearly there's some trick to all this that I don't know. Any thoughts?

I should add that the bass tracks on this mix are also pretty boomy and low...but even if I mute those, I have the same issue. I just want that kick to stand out and drive the beat, like you hear on so many of the pro dance electronica type tracks.

Thanks for any tips.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Getting that punchy, pumping kick sound

Try some parallel drum compression? Re EQ them so they sit better in the mix. Just like guitar what sounds great through the monitors or cans isn't always what sits in the mix. Possibly side chain and duck the bass parts so that they are not competing for the same space in the mix.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM

One word - layering!

Stack multiple kick samples like there's no tomorrow, and choose samples that has a certain accentuated quality. Bottom, punch, grit, definition, etc...
Old 09-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
One word - layering!

Stack multiple kick samples like there's no tomorrow, and choose samples that has a certain accentuated quality. Bottom, punch, grit, definition, etc...
+1.

Also have you tried using the compressor/limiter plugin that comes with pt?
Iv had some luck with the Tight Kick preset. Putting that both on the track and on a bus helps getting a punchy kick.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM

Yes, I am using the compressor. And EQ and such. Haven't tried layering up the kick, though. I did create a 44hz tone across an audio track and then sidechained the noise gate off a dupe of the kick track and brought the low tone underneath the kick with the fader...that helped a little, but still not the sound I'm after. I wish I could find a vid of someone doing it and then I could see it being done...I'm a visual learner, I guess!

Appreciate the suggestions. I will try the layering..never thought of that beyond adding the tone track.

Ducking the bass didn't really make that much difference either.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Try rolling off other bassy instruments (such as the bass) from 50-70 Hz, allowing the kick to occupy the sub-bass zone. Ducking other sources can also work (for dance anyway).
Old 09-12-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Yes, I am using the compressor. And EQ and such. Haven't tried layering up the kick, though. I did create a 44hz tone across an audio track and then sidechained the noise gate off a dupe of the kick track and brought the low tone underneath the kick with the fader...that helped a little, but still not the sound I'm after. I wish I could find a vid of someone doing it and then I could see it being done...I'm a visual learner, I guess!

Appreciate the suggestions. I will try the layering..never thought of that beyond adding the tone track.

Ducking the bass didn't really make that much difference either.
Kenny Gioa's first Pro Tools Trick's and Tips DVD does a nice job of explaining parallel compression, kick enhancement, gating etc.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-13-2011, 05:18 AM

Yeah, I have that whole series, and it is excellent.

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:41 AM

If you want to get a punching and pumping kick sound, why would you want to compress the signal and flatten it out, essentially turning it into a flat an dead, pit, sound rather than a thump thump thump. Compressing the hell out of it then trying to boost the eq to bring the thump back is counter-intuitive.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:06 PM

Maybe BOOM just isn't the best starting point for the drum sound you want

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave