Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2013, 12:29 PM

Default post mix theatre vs music console room

Hi there,

I compose music for productions as well as other post sound services - from foley to 5.1 mix.

I am interested in building a new console room and am looking for some resources to help me figure out the optimal room dimensions.

I notice that most post audio rooms/mix theatres are of a very different dimension/shape - they are more in the shape of a theatre, the speakers are at the front of the room, the console desk is quite far from the screen, etc.

While most music console rooms, the console desk is further to the front of the room and there is often glass rather than a projection screen, etc.

I have also looked at a lot of mastering facilities, and they too seem to be unique in their general dimension.

So my question is, is there a reliable dimension/shape that i should be aiming for that can satisfy all requirements? A room that i can do 5.1 or 7.1 post mixing in (Dolby Certified if possible), as well as optimal for mixing and mastering music? Any references you can suggest?

Thanks everyone!