Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Dolby E encoder/decoder

Has anyone had any experience with decoding dolby E audio into a session, and then exported the session via encoding it dolby E back onto a HighDef video deck?

Any known problems & all suggestions welcomed. thanks much.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Dolby E encoder/decoder

Quote:
Has anyone had any experience with decoding dolby E audio into a session, and then exported the session via encoding it dolby E back onto a HighDef video deck?

Works just fine. Go ahead!!! Just remember there is 1 fr latency for each process.

-Todd A.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Works just fine. Go ahead!!! Just remember there is 1 fr latency for each process.

-Todd A.
Dolby has stated that the Dolby E encode/decode process shows no degredation of sound inside of 10 encode/decode passes. They wouldn't state directly what type of degredation became evident on the 11th or greater pass. I was told this directly by a Dolby rep during a symposium.

As for the 1 frame latency for each process, remember to check the delivery specs for the network/client receiving the master. Some specs state encode with audio in sync, creating a 1 frame delay on encode onto tape (I think it's silly not to have the audio and video in sync on tape, but whatever! haha), and a 2 frame delay in decode/broadcast. The broadcaster then delays the video to sync the audio.

Others specify (and I think this is the more sensible approach) to encode the audio 1 frame early on layback (meaning you will scoot your audio 1 frame early out of visual sync) so that the audio is sync with video on the tape, and then there is a 1 frame delay on decode that the video will be delayed to match.

I've not seen anyone ask that the Dolby be encoded 2 frames early, so that it lives 1 frame ahead of video on tape, but plays out in sync.... but I expect SOMEONE to do it, just because they can!

Best of luck!

Brad McIlvaine
Sr. Mixer/Designer
Henninger Media Services
Washington, DC 20036

hrttp://www.henninger.com
Washington, DC 20036
Old 09-21-2005, 10:28 AM

Turner and NBC want Dolby 2 frames early so on decode it is in sync with video. FOX wants it in sync on tape and they delay video 2 frames on playback. Seemes like it should be standardized to avoid confussion, but its not, so add that to the list of things to keep track of.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:20 PM

ugh i was wondering about this a few months ago. what a headache!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Turner and NBC want Dolby 2 frames early so on decode it is in sync with video. FOX wants it in sync on tape and they delay video 2 frames on playback. Seemes like it should be standardized to avoid confussion, but its not, so add that to the list of things to keep track of.
Thanks Roy, I'll add it to the list here!

Brad Mc.
Washington, DC 20036