Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-08-2011, 02:08 PM

Default real time mixdown, ughhh

Is there any way to mix down a few tracks to a single file on my hard drive without having to wait for it to happen in real time?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:28 PM

Default Re: real time mixdown, ughhh

no

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 PM

If you can get it all on to one track, consolidate and export.

Multitrack = No
Old 12-08-2011, 02:49 PM

It sucks, it really does. I understand why it is hard to implement, but there are some times when it would be a real "time saver"...which in my world equates to money.

For instance, I have a guy who wants several vinyl tracks to be recorded, cleaned up and then given a hi-res copy and mp3. Let's say just for the sake of argument that I only use Pro Tools 10 for this. I would have to wait for the record to track in, process and clean it or whatever..then wait again for each record by themselves to bounce down in real time again. If there are 30 records@5 mins a piece, then we are talking a minimum of 3X150mins It would be awesome to just be able to bounce it out in a minute and be done with it. Not to mention if I use pro tools to bounce it out as mp3's also, then I get to hear it 3 times in real time. So, I guess I will be using a program called Reaper instead to patch up the weak spots in Pro Tools So I Track into Pro Tools, then take the recorded audio and import it into Reaper which has non-realtime export, and we have a workaround

I really feel for anyone who does editing for speeches or anything really really long that has to be edited using pro tools. Maybe someday after AAX is fully implemented and everything goes 64-bit and they have found a way to blend their RTAS engine and a Non-RTAS engine into a single flowing system for those non-realtime functions to exist. I believe in you AVID!

P.S. Don't tell me it is a audio quality thing, and I should hear my mix one more time on the way out...because that should be "my choice" if I want to hear it AGAIN in real time. I will pull up Reaper and do a mix in Real Time and Not in Real Time and post it...and no one here will know the difference.

Last edited by Numi; 12-08-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:20 PM

hey digi, make your mix engine available at the command line prompt in PT11.

c:\ptmix mysong.pts mysong.wav

:)
Old 12-08-2011, 03:23 PM

for your multi format outputs: http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plu.../pro-codec.htm

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numi View Post
It sucks, it really does. I understand why it is hard to implement, but there are some times when it would be a real "time saver"...which in my world equates to money.

For instance, I have a guy who wants several vinyl tracks to be recorded, cleaned up and then given a hi-res copy and mp3. Let's say just for the sake of argument that I only use Pro Tools 10 for this. I would have to wait for the record to track in, process and clean it or whatever..then wait again for each record by themselves to bounce down in real time again. If there are 30 records@5 mins a piece, then we are talking a minimum of 3X150mins It would be awesome to just be able to bounce it out in a minute and be done with it. Not to mention if I use pro tools to bounce it out as mp3's also, then I get to hear it 3 times in real time. So, I guess I will be using a program called Reaper instead to patch up the weak spots in Pro Tools So I Track into Pro Tools, then take the recorded audio and import it into Reaper which has non-realtime export, and we have a workaround

I really feel for anyone who does editing for speeches or anything really really long that has to be edited using pro tools. Maybe someday after AAX is fully implemented and everything goes 64-bit and they have found a way to blend their RTAS engine and a Non-RTAS engine into a single flowing system for those non-realtime functions to exist. I believe in you AVID!

P.S. Don't tell me it is a audio quality thing, and I should hear my mix one more time on the way out...because that should be "my choice" if I want to hear it AGAIN in real time. I will pull up Reaper and do a mix in Real Time and Not in Real Time and post it...and no one here will know the difference.

If you're just cleaning up a stereo transfer from vinyl, why don't you just setup your plugins as required, save the settings as a preset and use the Audiosuite version of the plugin directly on the audio file.

Then you can just export the file faster than realtime in whatever format you want - it takes seconds per file. Absolutely no point wasting time doing a bounce to disk operation.

You also have the option of converting the wav / aff to an mp3 etc in itunes if you don't wish to export it in that format from P.T.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
If you're just cleaning up a stereo transfer from vinyl, why don't you just setup your plugins as required, save the settings as a preset and use the Audiosuite version of the plugin directly on the audio file.

Then you can just export the file faster than realtime in whatever format you want - it takes seconds per file. Absolutely no point wasting time doing a bounce to disk operation.

You also have the option of converting the wav / aff to an mp3 etc in itunes if you don't wish to export it in that format from P.T.
Great suggestion. AudioSuite is always extremely overlooked.

Also... provided your computer could handle it... you could bring all the tracks into the same session and record them to track simultaneously and export.

For example:

Say you have 10 stereo tracks you have cleaned up. Instead of doing a real time bounce for each individual track, you could import them all into the same session, and bus each recording into it's own stereo audio track, arm it, and hit record. Now, you are essentially bouncing 10 tracks at the same time. Once you finished recording, you can just Export Regions/Clips as Files on all the tracks, and that'll take mere seconds.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 12-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Great suggestion. AudioSuite is always extremely overlooked.

Also... provided your computer could handle it... you could bring all the tracks into the same session and record them to track simultaneously and export.

For example:

Say you have 10 stereo tracks you have cleaned up. Instead of doing a real time bounce for each individual track, you could import them all into the same session, and bus each recording into it's own stereo audio track, arm it, and hit record. Now, you are essentially bouncing 10 tracks at the same time. Once you finished recording, you can just Export Regions/Clips as Files on all the tracks, and that'll take mere seconds.
Nice ideas guys.. I tend to forget about the Audio Suite from time to time.. and recording everything into one session was differently on the agenda. I may end up using WaveLab 7 to batch process all of the files after I have tracked them into Pro Tools 10. I guess my reply was more geared toward some one who did not have another program like WL7 and relied solely on PT10 for all their editing needs. Either way, I love PT's and have since the first time I used it...and dropped Cubase(that was after we got Auto Delay Compensation) as soon as I could. I'm still for a faster bounce option, but as I have come to learn... patience is truly a virtue when dealing with Digi/Avid
Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numi View Post
Nice ideas guys.. I tend to forget about the Audio Suite from time to time.. and recording everything into one session was differently on the agenda. I may end up using WaveLab 7 to batch process all of the files after I have tracked them into Pro Tools 10. I guess my reply was more geared toward some one who did not have another program like WL7 and relied solely on PT10 for all their editing needs. Either way, I love PT's and have since the first time I used it...and dropped Cubase(that was after we got Auto Delay Compensation) as soon as I could. I'm still for a faster bounce option, but as I have come to learn... patience is truly a virtue when dealing with Digi/Avid
One also has to remember that there are many of us who still bounce through external hardware. Most of my masters end up going into an ML-9600. There's no such thing as offline bounce with external gear.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515