Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2009, 05:28 AM

Default Pro Tools and Internal Intel Mac Raid?

I just put 3x 500GB Seagate Drives in my Intel Mac Pro and Raided them 0 with 32kb sector size with Mac Disk utility. I made sure the raid was formated Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as per Pro Tools LE Setup Guide.

Pro Tools will not let me set the raid to Playback or Record.... Does any one have any ideas why or what I should do?

Thanks for the help
Old 07-23-2009, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools and Internal Intel Mac Raid?

Sorry, I have reposted to a different section of the form... Storage Subsystems
Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 AM

i dont have the link handy, but Digi has said not to use a RAID configuration for ProTools.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 07-23-2009, 10:35 PM

I've been wondering about this too. Are Digi only referring to *internal* RAID configurations? I would have thought an external RAID drive would be okay. Anyone using one?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxdog View Post
I've been wondering about this too. Are Digi only referring to *internal* RAID configurations? I would have thought an external RAID drive would be okay. Anyone using one?
Definitely would not recommend it & too DIGI doesn't either; but when u lose raid drives, thatz pretty much it

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 07-24-2009, 05:33 AM

Two strikes first RAID Zero strike one and software RAID strike two.

RAID is zero protection and worse yet if one drive dies you lose the data on all the drives in the RAID 0 set. Hardware RAID card have their own processors to calulate the parity it write and other processing. Software RAID is using your CPU taking cycles away from app's and everything else the computer is doing. Hardware RAID is basically invisible to the computer, but software the computer is fully aware of.

Last as others pointed out Digi doesn't support RAID.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:05 PM

So, it seems (and sorry for such a basic question!) that really the only way for the 'home recorder' to back everything up is to attach 2 external drives, both firewire, daisy chained together, then use some syncing software like chronosync to to the occasional sync between those two drives. Sound right?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxdog View Post
So, it seems (and sorry for such a basic question!) that really the only way for the 'home recorder' to back everything up is to attach 2 external drives, both firewire, daisy chained together, then use some syncing software like chronosync to to the occasional sync between those two drives. Sound right?
Maybe I'm missing what you are asking. You can back up to any other drive (internal SATA, external firewire, external USB, eSATA, NAS, SAN, etc.) You can even backup to a RAID drive if you like. The restriction is that Protools does not support RAID for the audio drive that you will be recording to and playing back from. Once recorded, you may back up to anything that you like (another hard drive, tape subsystem, DVD-ROM, Blu-ray RW, USB thumb drive, etc.)

If you are looking for something that backs up simultaneously while you record, that's another story and may have a negative impact on Protools to keep both drives writting in sync while also streaming multitrack audio to the system. Plan ahead and make back up during down times.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Maybe I'm missing what you are asking. You can back up to any other drive (internal SATA, external firewire, external USB, eSATA, NAS, SAN, etc.) You can even backup to a RAID drive if you like. The restriction is that Protools does not support RAID for the audio drive that you will be recording to and playing back from. Once recorded, you may back up to anything that you like (another hard drive, tape subsystem, DVD-ROM, Blu-ray RW, USB thumb drive, etc.)
Rite...Yeah he lost me a bit too Dragon... But yeah to the OP, listen to the Dragon...he's rite...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 07-24-2009, 04:53 PM

I've just reread my post and can see where I've created the confusion. Sorry about that. Regardless, you've provided me with a perfect answer. There simply isn't a way of backing up in real time, that works well with Pro Tools. So I need to do it during downtimes. Thanks to you both!!