Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Compatibility: 0S X 10.3.6 and Pro Tools LE 6.4.

Just upgraded to 10.3.6 an hour ago, and have run several PT LE 6.4 sessions with no problems so far.

It seems to work fine, no plugin setting lost, midi set up and running ok

Enjoy the music !
Old 11-28-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Compatibility: 0S X 10.3.6 and Pro Tools LE 6.

Quote:
I just ordered a dual 2.5 ghz G5 a week ago, it's supposed to be in tomorrow. It's coming with 10.3.6, and I (will soon) have 6.4. Cliffy Boy, I sure hope you're right. Because if you aren't, I don't think theres any way I can downgrade if the OSX disc I get is 10.3.6.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Nope, you can't downgrade once you are at 10.3.5. And I also could NOT get 6.4 to work on a new G5 with 10.3.5 installed on it. Had to wait until 6.7 came out. That said, I recommend getting up to 6.7 anyway. Lot of cool stuff, especially if you do MIDI or tempo related functions in PT at all. And the colors are nice too.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:32 PM

Prockmat, I don't think you read my post right, but I actually said 10.3.6, not 3.5. Either way, you also said you couldn't get 6.4 to work on a G5 with 3.5 on it? Can you give me more specs on your computer setup? That doesn't seem right because just about everyone on this board says it works just fine, alone with many comments on this thread already!

I got my dual 2.5 G5 in today, and it shipped with 10.3.5. So I guees I'm safe, until Prockmat brought up that he couldn't get it to work. I'm concerned now...I won't get a chance to load up the system until this weekend, so we'll see I guess.

The sheer amount of bug complaints about 6.7 bothers me. Plus, the new feature list (aside from Beat Detective LE) doesn't look convincing enough to me.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:01 PM

I upgraded to 10.3.6 and PTLE 6.2.2 still seems to be working for me. Should it be??? I'm not so sure I want to upgrade to 6.7 after reading this thread!
-Scott

Mac OS 10.9
PT 11.1.1
Eleven Rack
Old 11-29-2004, 10:31 AM

Spicy, I confirm that dual 2,5Ghz G5 with 3.5 works fine with PT6.4.

That was my configuration until yesterday, when I upgraded to 3.6, and is still running fine with 6.4.

Now, like other fellow here, I wonder if I should install PT 6.7...
Old 11-29-2004, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Prockmat, I don't think you read my post right, but I actually said 10.3.6, not 3.5.
What I meant was that you can't downgrade lower than 10.3.5.

My scenerio was this... I was helping a friend install PT 6.4 on his new G5 which came loaded with 10.3.5. PT installed fine, opened fine, authorized fine... we could even open and play back sessions. But as soon as we tried to record, we would get DAE errors. PT would record about 3 secs of hash and then stop. Couldn't figure out why this was happening, as I'm running the exact same setup as my friend, except I was at 10.3.2. When we checked Digi's webpage, it said 6.4 wasn't approved for 10.3.5 and please continue to run 6.4 with 10.3.2. At that point I thought we'd try installing 10.3 onto his G5. That's when we found you can't downgrade past 10.3.5- without reformating the drive and starting over.

Happy ending to the story: 6.7 came out and now everything works with no problems. 6.7 is a great upgrade anyway, so I recommend getting there, even if you have to spend the bucks to do so.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:12 PM

Quote:
The sheer amount of bug complaints about 6.7 bothers me. Plus, the new feature list (aside from Beat Detective LE) doesn't look convincing enough to me.
Sorry, I meant to comment on this as well. Most of the features in 6.7 are related to working with MIDI, so if you never deal with that, maybe it's not for you. But if you've ever tried to do tempo or meter mapping in PT, you want 6.7. Beat Detective LE is another great feature. The Undo history is a BIG deal- instead of trying to remember each step, it tells you and you can jump right to a certain undo point. The color coding seems like such a small thing when you just read it, but in practice it really helps organize things. And being able to effect tracks based on samples or ticks- very cool. Say you cut up a drum part with Beat Detective LE and chopped it at every quarter note. Now switch those tracks to tick based. Change the tempo and the drum part changes tempo- awesome. And if there is space between the regions, use the Trim to Fill Gaps option- even more awesome. I've also done some demos where the player just plays the piano part wild, not to a click or any tempo. I usually record the audio and the MIDI. If we later want to use that performance with a more fleshed out production, I can now take the MIDI information, establish tempo from the wild performance, then quantize or change as I want. There is no other program out there that I know of that can do this with a MIDI track. Always the midi data was tied to the tempo, whether or not you actually played to that tempo.

So the feature list of 6.7 was very convincing for me. Most of them I didn't understand how they would affect me until I got it and started using them.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:11 PM

Well that was a very convincing (and inspirational) schpeel, bud. I think I might reconsider in that case. For now, I'm going to stick with what I've got until I absolutely need to upgrade. Bebause with every upgrade, the potential for disaster comes even closer. Thanks for all that thorough information!