Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2017, 08:06 PM

Default New Computer & Project Mix I/O

Hello to all... I've got a nice new laptop, tons of RAM and rather than keep the old computer set up, which was my original plan, I'm thinking of using the new Lenovo. One little problem, or maybe big problem is that I like my M-Audio Project Mix I/O, which runs on a fire wire connection. New computer has no fire wire connection. So, the question is, before I go updating the DAW which I don't really want to do, is there a hub or adaptor cord that can actually go from fire wire to USB 3? The hope is, yes there is.. thank you all for any comments. RichrdC
Old 09-01-2017, 04:06 AM

Default Re: New Computer & Project Mix I/O

Can't be done as they are completely different and incompatible protocols. Maybe sell it and buy something USB based?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:09 AM

Thanks for verifying what I thought StillHollow.. I see adapters out there but I'll bet the transfer of data speeds has got to get hit big time and wouldn't work on real time data movement. Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:15 AM

Is it possible to put a Firewire Express card in the laptop? If so, make sure it has a TI chipset.

The other question would be will the Project Mix have drivers for Windows 10 and/or work with your version of Pro Tools?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-01-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Is it possible to put a Firewire Express card in the laptop? If so, make sure it has a TI chipset.

The other question would be will the Project Mix have drivers for Windows 10 and/or work with your version of Pro Tools?
Indeed^^^ If that is not an option(and it probably isn't) then the PM is a door stop. Grab a new interface that uses a connection that the new laptop has and add something for control according to your needs and budget. A few things to look at are:
Presonus Faderport(still using mine with Windows 10 and PT12.8.1HD). Great transport buttons, foot switch jack for stop/start or for quick-punch(hit the SHIFT button on the FP).
Presonus Faderport8This new 8-fader box looks pretty handy(but I have not used one)
Artist Mix Get a used one for around $600 and stick the little Faderport next to it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-01-2017, 01:12 PM

Yeah, Albee1952, I think doorstop is the next stop..I doubt if there are Windows 10 drivers for the PMIO.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
If the laptop has a ExpressCard/34 or /54 slot, this would work http://www.siig.com/it-products/fire...presscard.html I use this in my laptop rig (see sig); works great/rock solid. Newer laptops typically do not have an ExpressCard slot. I'd suggest getting a new audio I/O, rather than trying to get Firewire to work.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 AM

Thanks EGS.. I think a new laptop, which I've already got, may make me have to go get a different control surface. Albee1952 had a couple names and I'm intrigued by the Presonus Fadeport 8.. along with something else I can plug multiple instruments into in order to record.. Thanks for your input. Take care
Old 09-08-2017, 09:22 PM

Faderport is a control surface. You still will need an interface. If you're a fan of UAD plugins, Apollo is probably the best option. Otherwise, you have tons to pick from at all price points. My own 2 cents:
RME-not cheap but excellent and probably the best drivers on the planet
Focusrite-great value but some driver issues to conquer, YMMV
MOTU-great value
M-Audio-NOT great value(not recommended by me)
Audient- definitely worth a look

I suggest some time on youtube watching reviews and tutorials on any interface you are considering

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave