Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 02-15-2018, 02:41 AM

Default Eddie when are we going to get an update for the dock?

It's been so long without an update for bugs as well as a lack of new features

I still have to press soft keys twice to be able to use the buttons below the iPad

The monitor control still has no function

The GUI is still clunky and not laid out in a useful way

Are we going to be able to control eq clip effects in the next update?

It feels like this product has been shelved, which is a real shame
Old 02-16-2018, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Eddie when are we going to get an update for the dock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviesound View Post
It's been so long without an update for bugs as well as a lack of new features
hmmm.. the last major update was only a few months ago in which they did add new features and squash a bunch of bugs... development cycles can run months at a time.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=394474

What software are you using and which softkeys do you have to press twice?
Old 02-17-2018, 09:39 AM
Avid

Theres a new release in a couple of weeks. For the Dock it enables the automation record light on the Fader and adds better knob acceleration and some bug fixes. Next is the monitoring.
This product is relatively new, seen many software updates and has certainly not been dropped.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:26 AM

Will we be able to control clip fx eq with the next update?
Old 03-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Avid

Not in the next update. Its actually a PT feature and quite a big one at that as it is an all new mechanisum.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:29 PM

Is the Dock not the Avid control surface for Pro tools? The way you mention it, it's like they are 2 different companies. Clip FX has been around since 2016. I just can't get my head round how slow Avid are to update their hardware in line with their software, let alone introduce new features
I'm just trying to imagine telling a director I'm working for that I'll address his notes in a couple of years because it's a complicated process. Not too sure how that would go down
Six months to get a flashing light update?
Old 03-01-2018, 07:20 PM
Avid

These are 2 separate products so have different priorities. Not everyone who owns PT has a controller, there are 1000's who don't and want other features. I'm not saying its unimportant, as its is, just saying that it wasn't as high a priority as other stuff in PT.
As for Avid not introducing new features etc....really?..we have introduced a number of new features and improved the stability over the past year or so...all free upgrades. What other controller manufacturer does that?
Old 03-02-2018, 02:11 AM

I'm talking about the features of the dock, not Pro Tools. Let's not get into a conversation about PT new features and being years behind competitors in terms of updates, that's been talked about every day for years....and these updates are not free. That couldn't be further from the truth. Unlike all of it's competitors, to use Pro tools we now have to pay £500 a year for updates. How is that free!?

I really don't know what these new features for the dock are? I haven't seen any. I still have to turn mine on/off 2 or 3 times and restart eucon endlessly to even get the thing to connect

Back in October avid said 'The update also includes automation feedback improvements on the OLED, which make the Rec LED indicate Write mode and writing when flashing.' It's March and this is supposed to be the main feature of a new dock update?

This thing has such potential and it's not getting close to realising that. Where ever I go in the world of post production, these things sit there redundant, because the workflow is too long winded. Besides the faders they are barely touched. Instead every mixer use the mouse. Such a shame
Old 03-02-2018, 06:38 AM

There is much more potential for the Dock that's for sure. Besides the bug fixing, I think the biggest feature addition will be the monitoring control. It will finish off what should have been working out-of-the-box. I think it was a miss-step at design time to ONLY make the monitor knob work with CERTAIN monitoring devices. It inadvertently made that part of the dock useless to a majority of the users. AVID realized this and is in the process of righting the ship.

Oh, I remember a time period on here where there was little to no support for the dock. Questions were going unanswered and the natives were getting restless. Eddie's changed that perception. I remember when there was nobody to complain to, let along get a response from AVID regarding the dock or what enhancements to expect.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Avid

I have to disagree that nobody uses the Dock and other surfaces in Post, I know thats just not true and have been to many places where people couldn't work without them. With the new VCA spill feature for the Control App and all surfaces with faders the workflow is far quicker than a mouse for mixing. Sure there's things like monitoring we can add, and like Anthony says we are working on these, but you get a lot already.
I would love to know what this list of missing features for the Dock is so I can make sure they are on the list to do?